Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

5 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Nice.  I helped get Madison started in their first years, played with Chicago and Minneapolis here and there, and now play for LA.  I've heard nothing but great things from teammates about NY and the Chelsea Challenge.  We might have some mutual friends.

Do you play for the Blades? I've played with Jess and Britt B. before , they were on my Chelssa Challenge team with Jerome in that article I linked, such great people. My buddy Tim P just moved out there and skates with them as well. I've never been to the Madison tournament but a bunch of friends go every year.

5 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Do you play for the Blades? I've played with Jess and Britt B. before , they were on my Chelssa Challenge team with Jerome in that article I linked, such great people. My buddy Tim P just moved out there and skates with them as well. I've never been to the Madison tournament but a bunch of friends go every year.

Yep.  Britt and Jess are good friends of mine; high quality people.  Not sure if I've ran into Tim yet (we have three teams and obv haven't played or gathered in a while).

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:28 PM, sabremike said:

If Kevin Lowe gets in there's no excuse for Butch Goring not being in. Lowe was just a guy on those Edmonton teams, Butchie was the key final piece of the puzzle that lead to the Isles dynasty.20200229_123259.thumb.jpg.015046943a04f1fd4cf20a32215bd4bd.jpg

I agree completely.

Growing up the NYC metro area as a kid, watched a lot of that Islanders dynasty and Goring was an intricate part. Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, Dennis Potvin, Bryan Trottier and many more. Islanders won 4 Stanley Cups in a row and made it 5 straight years losing to the mighty 1984 Oilers. The early 80's Islanders are  the most underrated and overlooked dynasty in the history of the sport, bar none. What a machine those Islanders teams were.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Vegas possibly out of contention as potential hub city. Could be all in Canada (of it still goes ahead).

https://985thesportshub.com/2020/06/30/report-vegas-no-longer-a-frontrunner-as-nhl-hub-city/ 

In Canada, I think the NHL has a chance to be the only sport that plays. NBA in Orlando? Baseball wherever? Do you see the daily US numbers?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In Canada, I think the NHL has a chance to be the only sport that plays. NBA in Orlando? Baseball wherever? Do you see the daily US numbers?

I said it a while ago. Sports are done. A bunch of The Lightning testing positive, half of the Phillies. How on earth is this gonna happen? Rudy Gobert still hasn't recovered. This just seems totally impossible.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Vegas possibly out of contention as potential hub city. Could be all in Canada (of it still goes ahead).

https://985thesportshub.com/2020/06/30/report-vegas-no-longer-a-frontrunner-as-nhl-hub-city/ 

It’s a Canadian sport, and I assume their country has done better with the virus than the country that has done the absolute worst with it, despite a heads up. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I said it a while ago. Sports are done. A bunch of The Lightning testing positive, half of the Phillies. How on earth is this gonna happen? Rudy Gobert still hasn't recovered. This just seems totally impossible.

Sports aren’t done. You think Jimmy and Joes Restaurant is gonna open up down the street from you for business, and major sports aren’t going to?

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

USA, USA!!

Can you still say that on a public forum?

Heck, I got the finger from someone the other day because I had a USA t-shirt on and didn't even know I had it on. Bought it on sale at Kohl's about 6yrs ago after the 4th of July. Needed some shirts at the time and bought them for less than $2/ea.

• Like (+1) 1

lebrun_twitter_49669_reasonably_small.jp

[Pierre LeBrun]
·
3h

If the NHL/NHLPA finalize things, if the players ratify it, and subject to negotiation with IOC, sounds like proposed CBA extension includes the NHL’s return to Olympic participation covering both 2022 and 2026.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Heck, I got the finger from someone the other day because I had a USA t-shirt on and didn't even know I had it on. Bought it on sale at Kohl's about 6yrs ago after the 4th of July. Needed some shirts at the time and bought them for less than $2/ea.

Are you sure it was your shirt and not just your face??

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hey! The NHL did something smart. The best chance for playoff hockey is putting players in Canada. 

Maybe Bettman isn't that dumb. The NHL may well wind up the only sports you can watch played in this hemisphere. Talk about a captive audience.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

lebrun_twitter_49669_reasonably_small.jp

[Pierre LeBrun]
·
3h

If the NHL/NHLPA finalize things, if the players ratify it, and subject to negotiation with IOC, sounds like proposed CBA extension includes the NHL’s return to Olympic participation covering both 2022 and 2026.

***** yes.  Enough with the short-term money grubbing.  Get the best players onto the best world stage for sport.  Grow the game.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe Bettman isn't that dumb. The NHL may well wind up the only sports you can watch played in this hemisphere. Talk about a captive audience.

If there’s one thing I wouldn’t describe Bettman as ... is dumb. 

Do you know what’s dumb? The idiot fans who boo him when he comes on the ice to present the Stanley Cup. That’s downright dumb.

IMHO.

• Like (+1) 4

On 7/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, nucci said:

USA, USA!!

On 7/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Hell yes you can still say it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-nba-e2-80-99s-reopening-is-a-warning-sign-for-the-us-economy/ar-BB16ktX1

NBA plans to reopen has some players opting out. Can't see their families, some don't want to get infected, etc. 

It’ll be interesting to see which NHL players opt out. 

The new agreement guarantees players who opt out will still get their playoff bonuses, correct?

On 7/5/2020 at 1:58 AM, Zamboni said:

If there’s one thing I wouldn’t describe Bettman as ... is dumb. 

Do you know what’s dumb? The idiot fans who boo him when he comes on the ice to present the Stanley Cup. That’s downright dumb.

IMHO.

Maybe not dumb, but that smug expression on his face, makes me dislike him immensely.  ?

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe not dumb, but that smug expression on his face, makes me dislike him immensely.  ?

He has a highly punchable face… I get that. There’s a lot of people I see on an almost daily basis that have a highly punchable face LOL

Edited by Zamboni

On 7/5/2020 at 1:58 AM, Zamboni said:

The booing of sh1theel pro sports commissioners is one of fandom's simple pleasures.

They don't all get booed, as best I can tell. Seems like the ones who (richly) deserve it do.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The booing of sh1theel pro sports commissioners is one of fandom's simple pleasures.

They don't all get booed, as best I can tell. Seems like the ones who (richly) deserve it do.

Like everything else… Everyone has their opinion. My opinion is that Bettman doesn’t really deserve the Booing when he’s presenting the Stanley Cup to the winners. I find those fans immature obnoxious and rude. 
Some fans find it funny, cutting edge, and acceptable groupthink. I couldn’t possibly care less that they think that. Just like some fans couldn’t possibly care less that I think that Bettman shouldn’t get booed. End of story. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.