Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

Kim St Pierre, btw, is the first female goalie inducted to the HHOF.  Three Olympic Golds with Canada ('02, '06, '10), five IIHF Golds, and three IIHF Silvers.  First woman to win a Canadian Interuniversity Sports men's hockey game.  Second woman in history to play alongside NHL players, when she filled in for Carey Price in a Montreal practice in '08.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-hall-of-fame-2020-class-1.5625644

Jarome Iginla

Marian Hossa

Kim St-Pierre

Ken Holland

Kevin Lowe

Doug Wilson

Kevin Lowe was not as good as Mike Ramsey and the fact Lowe is in and Rick Martin is not is a travesty.

You can argue that Rick Martin was the best left wing of his era.

You can argue that Kevin Lowe was not among the 10 best defencemen of his.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Kevin Lowe was not as good as Mike Ramsey and the fact Lowe is in and Rick Martin is not is a travesty.

You can argue that Rick Martin was the best left wing of his era.

You can argue that Kevin Lowe was not among the 10 best defencemen of his.

Reasonable points.

Reasonable counterpoints: Kevin Lowe was a seven-time All-Star, a King Clancy winner, and won six Stanley Cups.  Oilers first-ever draft pick, scored their first goal, and leads in all-time Oilers games played.

Small, but significant correction, Kevin Lowe played in seven all-star games. He was never an end-of-year all-Star.

Rick Martin also played in 7 all-star games, and is a four-time end-of-season all-Star.

From his Wikipedia page:

1st Team All Star (1973–74)

1st Team All Star (1974–75)

2nd Team All Star (1975–76)

2nd Team All Star (1976–77)

7 Straight NHL All Star Game Appearances (1972 - 1978)

3rd All Time in Hat Tricks (21) among Left Wingers (Modern Era)

11th All Time in Career Goals Per Game Average in NHL History

Gold Championship Canada Cup 1976 (Team Canada)

5 "Top 10" finishes in Goals

2 "Top 10" finishes in Points

5 "Top 10" finishes in Even Strength Goals

3 "Top 10" finishes in Game Winning Goals

5 "Top 10" finishes in Power Play Goals

5 "Top 10" finishes in Goals Per Game Average

2 "Top 10" finishes in Points Per Game Average

6 Team Scoring Records (Buffalo Sabres)

#7 Team Jersey Retired (Buffalo Sabres)

Buffalo Sabres Hall Of Famer

The cups I concede. Unfortunately Rick never got to play with the greatest player ever on one of the most talented teams of all-time.

8 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Reasonable points.

Reasonable counterpoints: Kevin Lowe was a seven-time All-Star, a King Clancy winner, and won six Stanley Cups.  Oilers first-ever draft pick, scored their first goal, and leads in all-time Oilers games played.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-hall-of-fame-2020-class-1.5625644

Jarome Iginla

Marian Hossa

Kim St-Pierre

Ken Holland

Kevin Lowe

Doug Wilson

The fact that Marian Hossa, a player still under NHL contract, was put in over Mogilny is a disgrace. I don't even want to talk about Lowe. 

Marian Hossa: 0.401gpg, 0.465 apg, 0.866 ppg 

Alex Mogilny: 0.478 gpg, 0.565 apg, 1.042 ppg

But sure the first Russian to play in the States doesn't deserve to be in over Marian Hossa, a guy who is still under NHL contract for another year. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Marian Hossa: 0.401gpg, 0.465 apg, 0.866 ppg 

Alex Mogilny: 0.478 gpg, 0.565 apg, 1.042 ppg

But sure the first Russian to play in the States doesn't deserve to be in over Marian Hossa, a guy who is still under NHL contract for another year. 

He wasn't the 1st Russian to play in the NHL, there was at least 1 from the early '80's.  And the Soviets started letting some of the long in the tooth guys emigrate in '89 so Mogilny was actually joined by a few Russians in that '89-'90 season when he started.

But Mogilny was the biggest name defector by far & he was the 1st Russian hockey player to defect & make the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

And with that, the first three draft picks of the Edmonton Oiler franchise are all in the hall of fame.  That's how you start a franchise... well, bringing over from the WHA the greatest player who ever lived helps too.

Edit: And on top of that, each of their first round picks from their first 3 years are all in the hall of fame.  Who wants to name all 5 Hall of Famers here without looking it up?

Edited by shrader

Just now, dudacek said:

Coffey, Fuhr, Lowe are the picks.

Messier and Gretzky in the Hall.

Those are the 3 first rounders.  Messier is one of their first 3 picks and obviously Gretzky was never drafted.  So you're missing out one one guy from their first draft who is in the hall.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

He wasn't the 1st Russian to play in the NHL, there was at least 1 from the early '80's.  And the Soviets started letting some of the long in the tooth guys emigrate in '89 so Mogilny was actually joined by a few Russians in that '89-'90 season when he started.

But Mogilny was the biggest name defector by far & he was the 1st Russian hockey player to defect & make the NHL. 

Victor Nechayev, 1982. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, freester said:

Like all HOFs championships matter.  Kevin Lowe would not have gotten in playing on the Sabres.

IMHO, Lowe wouldn't've gotten in without having been a GM (albeit a bad one) as that kept his name on the minds of the voters.

And, yes, Rico is more deserving than Lowe, again IMHO.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Every NHL team changed their logo for pride month on twitter today

Nice! Nhl.com has done a great job highlighting LGBTQ presence in hockey this month. 

You can read an write-up about my friend, Jerome here! https://www.nhl.com/news/pride-day-special-for-pilot-goalie-jerome-veysset/c-317263318?tid=285562886 

He's from France and is also a commercial Airline Pilot. Awesome dude and he rocks old school goalie pads. If you scroll down to the team photo in the article you can spot me with the C on my jersey (you can also see my Sabres water bottle ? ) . This was from the Chelsea Challenge two years ago when we won the silver medal. Our team was SHARKNADO hence the stupid arm gesture in the photo.

I'm involved in the NYC Gay Hockey association, which is an amazing organization. Currently I'm a captain of one their rec-league teams and it's far and away the best league I've ever played in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm involved in the NYC Gay Hockey association, which is an amazing organization. Currently I'm a captain of one their rec-league teams and it's far and away the best league I've ever played in.

Nice.  I helped get Madison started in their first years, played with Chicago and Minneapolis here and there, and now play for LA.  I've heard nothing but great things from teammates about NY and the Chelsea Challenge.  We might have some mutual friends.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.