Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

On 5/13/2020 at 7:58 PM, miles said:

if they wont cancel, the only solution is to have games with no fans and hope a player doesnt get sick and sue the league

its completely irresponsible to the players to keep it going while there is not a cure. they are literally putting the players lives at risk. its shameful

What people need to realize is that they are going to be exposed to this and maybe they already have.  How their body responds is the mystery.  The one thing that is certain, you will be exposed. The virus is not a 100% death sentence.  It's dangerous, there's no doubt. There are many people who are at more risk to it, no doubt. But, at the moment I believe the death rate on the virus is still quite low.  That does not mean it's not important, but it also means it's not the end of the world.

43 minutes ago, LTS said:

What people need to realize is that they are going to be exposed to this and maybe they already have.  How their body responds is the mystery.  The one thing that is certain, you will be exposed. The virus is not a 100% death sentence.  It's dangerous, there's no doubt. There are many people who are at more risk to it, no doubt. But, at the moment I believe the death rate on the virus is still quite low.  That does not mean it's not important, but it also means it's not the end of the world.

Does exposed mean infected?

5 hours ago, LTS said:

its not just the players though, its the coaches, the staff in the locker room, the security, and everyone else that will be required to go in. not all of them are 20 to 30 year old athletes. some of those people are people in the age group that is at a much higher risk of death (some coaches, training staff, locker room guys, etc)

Edited by miles

On 5/15/2020 at 11:32 AM, PASabreFan said:

Does exposed mean infected?

It means exposed.  Perhaps the virus takes hold, perhaps not.  Perhaps they have severe symptoms, perhaps not.  These are the unknowns that will persist forever.  As I have mentioned, unless a vaccine is 100% effective, the risk will always be there. Much like influenza, with its highly varied strains, the "vaccine" is a best effort and so if you are at high risk to influenza you get the shot, but really, you are hoping for the best because a strain not in the "vaccine" could still infect you.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:19 PM, miles said:

its not just the players though, its the coaches, the staff in the locker room, the security, and everyone else that will be required to go in. not all of them are 20 to 30 year old athletes. some of those people are people in the age group that is at a much higher risk of death (some coaches, training staff, locker room guys, etc)

That's right. And be it in the locker room or at Sizzler, they are going to get exposed to the virus eventually.  This WILL happen.  Even cloth masks won't prevent that. Even staying six feet apart won't prevent it. It may reduce the chance of exposure, but it's not prevention.

Prevention would be staying completely isolated and sanitizing every external variable that you come in contact with, groceries, packages, the neighbor's cat.

14 hours ago, spndnchz said:

I admit, I don't follow hockey like I used to, so maybe it's been out there for a while. But when he said an 05 Spitfires teammate, did anyone else immediately think Cal O'Reily? 

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

But if you want to get to the root of the problem, you have to look to the parents, no?

Not always.  Many parents don't have a clue about what their kid is learning or doing, especially at those levels and those leading up to it.  They pay bill to have their 12 year old skate 3 times a day and take online classes.  They hand over development of their child to the people who mold them and they continue to do so through juniors, etc. Parents are more afraid to speak up than the player. Hell I see this in AA hockey where these kids are going to end up good beer league players and the parents won't speak up against organizations and their policies. Parent cuts are a real thing and parents who rock the boat often see their kids no longer on the team.

This article disgusts me in just how silent people are willing to be when they see things like this happen. I don't give a damn about Peters, etc. They are racists and racists will always exist.  They will be empowered by those who are unwilling to take a stand against their behavior when it happens.  I just looked at the roster and you can't tell who was with the team at the time definitively, but guys who played a ton of games probably were. 

I see Cal O'Reilly (mentioned before).

I also see Mike Weber.

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

Not always.  Many parents don't have a clue about what their kid is learning or doing, especially at those levels and those leading up to it.  They pay bill to have their 12 year old skate 3 times a day and take online classes.  They hand over development of their child to the people who mold them and they continue to do so through juniors, etc. Parents are more afraid to speak up than the player. Hell I see this in AA hockey where these kids are going to end up good beer league players and the parents won't speak up against organizations and their policies. Parent cuts are a real thing and parents who rock the boat often see their kids no longer on the team.

This article disgusts me in just how silent people are willing to be when they see things like this happen. I don't give a damn about Peters, etc. They are racists and racists will always exist.  They will be empowered by those who are unwilling to take a stand against their behavior when it happens.  I just looked at the roster and you can't tell who was with the team at the time definitively, but guys who played a ton of games probably were. 

I also see Mike Weber.

I'm not sure if you tried to make this point but, these kids are often away from home living with billet families which makes it even harder for the parents to see what's going on. 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm not sure if you tried to make this point but, these kids are often away from home living with billet families which makes it even harder for the parents to see what's going on. 

How many other sports even have this setup where you move a bunch of teenage boys away from home and throw them all together.  Stupid stuff is guaranteed to happen.  That stupidity then gets magnified by the so called traditions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

How many other sports even have this setup where you move a bunch of teenage boys away from home and throw them all together.  Stupid stuff is guaranteed to happen.  That stupidity then gets magnified by the so called traditions.

I think the only thing that even comes close that I can think of are sports academies. I was unsuccessful in asking to be sent to one when I was 12, but I had a couple friends go. It's basically getting sent to college in 8th grade to work like a D1 athlete. 

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I also see Mike Weber.

You touched on some of the issues I was thinking about with the parents.

So it looks like the NHL is doing a 24 team playoff thing....and the Sabres still can't qualify...MTL edges us out for the last spot by 3 points. 

Whose a good scapegoat to blame for those three points? Hutton for not being able to win a game for 3 months? Skinner for not scoring goals? JBOT for building a ***** team?

22 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Very true.. It happens even at that young age.  I mean around here it's less often simply because we live in Rochester/Buffalo and there are plenty of legitimate development options with professional ties, but that doesn't exist everywhere.  

• Like (+1) 1

Letting 24 teams into the playoffs is BS and nothing but a money grab.

For instance, how do the Jets get the 12th overall pick and get to make the post-season. There are others with even worse records making the playoffs???

Someone said if a team makes it all the way to the end of the finals, he will be in isolation for 4 months!

Crock of shat.

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Letting 24 teams into the playoffs is BS and nothing but a money grab.

For instance, how do the Jets get the 12th overall pick and get to make the post-season. There are others with even worse records making the playoffs???

Someone said if a team makes it all the way to the end of the finals, he will be in isolation for 4 months!

Crock of shat.

Of course it’s a money grab.  The entire NHL is a money grab.  They put on hockey games in exchange for money.

They lost a lot of money.  They are trying to minimize their loses this season so they can continue to put on hockey games of the highest level for the foreseeable future.  

On 5/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, shrader said:

Basketball has prep schools.  I assume the diversity of the rosters pretty much squashes any inherent racism. Hard to drop the n word when ten 6'8" guys who would pound your ass are staring you in the face.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.