Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'll have you know I won my one and only beer league playoff shootout. 5 rounds, 0 goals given up.

In our beer league the opposing captains pick the shooters from each team. It's pretty funny.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

SNHU Arena in Manchester NH (former site of the Kings AHL team) was rumored to be under consideration. Arena managers deny it...buuuuut what do you expect them to say?  (This would be great since I live here.)

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/nhl-will-not-stage-games-in-manchester-says-source-dispelling-hearsay/article_91341930-0840-5d8f-8c84-775ee937356c.html

Here's the original rumor: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/06/report-nhl-considering-playing-games-in-manchester-n-h/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

SNHU Arena in Manchester NH (former site of the Kings AHL team) was rumored to be under consideration. Arena managers deny it...buuuuut what do you expect them to say?  (This would be great since I live here.)

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/nhl-will-not-stage-games-in-manchester-says-source-dispelling-hearsay/article_91341930-0840-5d8f-8c84-775ee937356c.html

Here's the original rumor: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/06/report-nhl-considering-playing-games-in-manchester-n-h/

You think anytime soon is going to be a great time for a 600-person convention, with dozens of additional staff, media members, league officials, looky loos etc.? Kramer says it'll alllll be supervised. Speaking of which, where will the NHL gets the hundreds of Covid-19 tests to make sure the whole party is clean?

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're not remote enough, far too close to Boston.

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct. We can't infect anyone who's important. There must be a sparsely populated place in flyover country.

I read it as shrader thinking the location would favor the Bruins, not that it has to do with prevention of virus transmission, but I could be completely misinterpreting him.

Either way, I, too, have heard the Manchester rumor.

Edited by Eleven

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I read it as shrader thinking the location would favor the Bruins, not that it has to do with prevention of virus transmission, but I could be completely misinterpreting him.

Either way, I, too, have heard the Manchester rumor.

No, it seems like it's too close to a disease hot spot.  A lot can change by the time they try to start back up, but I can't picture the players as a whole signing off on traveling towards a more densely populated area, which really would rule on pretty much anything northeast.

ESPN has a story today that baseball is aiming for a May restart in Arizona.  And they're working with federal officials (CDC and NIH specifically mentioned) on it.  It's pretty safe to assume that the other leagues are doing the same with any of their plans, so it's not some evil scheme to spread this to the unimportant little people.  Whatever these leagues settle on, it's going to be very well thought out and not just randomly thrown together with zero concern for anyone.

The more I think about it, I wonder if they find some sort of regional setup.  The midwest teams wind up in North Dakota.  Find some similar location for the southwest teams.  It still gets tricky with the east coast teams, they may have to relocate a bit further.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

No, it seems like it's too close to a disease hot spot.  A lot can change by the time they try to start back up, but I can't picture the players as a whole signing off on traveling towards a more densely populated area, which really would rule on pretty much anything northeast.

ESPN has a story today that baseball is aiming for a May restart in Arizona.  And they're working with federal officials (CDC and NIH specifically mentioned) on it.  It's pretty safe to assume that the other leagues are doing the same with any of their plans, so it's not some evil scheme to spread this to the unimportant little people.  Whatever these leagues settle on, it's going to be very well thought out and not just randomly thrown together with zero concern for anyone.

The more I think about it, I wonder if they find some sort of regional setup.  The midwest teams wind up in North Dakota.  Find some similar location for the southwest teams.  It still gets tricky with the east coast teams, they may have to relocate a bit further.

There are probably plenty of rinks in rural Ontario / Quebec that they could use in the Northeast if they're going the crowdless route.

We just had this debate about the wisdom of moving Covid-19 patients from a large city hotspot to a small town with few cases. It's a pretty close analogy. Why would you want to move large numbers of people into an area that's faring fairly well? Of course we're talking August. It might be perfectly reasonable at that point. It might also still be the tail end of the pandemic or even the start of a new period of worrying about a second wave. I guess my beef boils down to floating it/discussing it with the pandemic peaking and thousands of people dying. No respect. Zero respect. But it's kind of what we're about. Move those bodies, boys, there's money to be made playing sports!

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

We just had this debate about the wisdom of moving Covid-19 patients from a large city hotspot to a small town with few cases. It's a pretty close analogy. Why would you want to move large numbers of people into an area that's faring fairly well? Of course we're talking August. It might be perfectly reasonable at that point. It might also still be the tail end of the pandemic or even the start of a new period of worrying about a second wave. I guess my beef boils down to floating it/discussing it with the pandemic peaking and thousands of people dying. No respect. Zero respect. But it's kind of what we're about. Move those bodies, boys, there's money to be made playing sports!

I'll be curious to see how this baseball plan shakes out because we're not talking August with that one.  Sure, there's more distance between players, but is that enough to make May reasonable?  They're all touching the same baseball.  Quite honestly, assuming it is the fanless route, it really can't be all that different than the typical supermarket experience we get today.

I'm not so sure this really is a close analogy to moving sick patients from NYC to smaller towns.  In that case, you're taking known sick people while with these sports ones, you're going to have pre-screened team employees who very likely do not have the virus.  Your chances of disease transmission are so incredibly different in the two.

And as for the money side, we need to be working on plans to get everything back up and running.  The leagues are going to focus on the sports just like any other industry is going to focus on what they do.  People have died, sure that sucks, but life needs to move forward at some point.  I'm not going to point a finger at the "evil sports leagues" while every single other industry is doing the same exact thing.

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'll be curious to see how this baseball plan shakes out because we're not talking August with that one.  Sure, there's more distance between players, but is that enough to make May reasonable?  They're all touching the same baseball.  Quite honestly, assuming it is the fanless route, it really can't be all that different than the typical supermarket experience we get today.

I'm not so sure this really is a close analogy to moving sick patients from NYC to smaller towns.  In that case, you're taking known sick people while with these sports ones, you're going to have pre-screened team employees who very likely do not have the virus.  Your chances of disease transmission are so incredibly different in the two.

And as for the money side, we need to be working on plans to get everything back up and running.  The leagues are going to focus on the sports just like any other industry is going to focus on what they do.  People have died, sure that sucks, but life needs to move forward at some point.  I'm not going to point a finger at the "evil sports leagues" while every single other industry is doing the same exact thing.

Again I ask where all the tests are going to come from to test the baseball players and staff. Naive question, right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.