Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't see what you're seeing, I guess?  Just a guy putting slapshots into an open net?

Dude. Really? Look at the power he generates from not really that much movement. The stick makes contact in the exact same spot a few inches behind the puck every single time. And listen to the contact. It's almost musical in its perfection.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dude. Really? Look at the power he generates from not really that much movement. The stick makes contact in the exact same spot a few inches behind the puck every single time. And listen to the contact. It's almost musical in its perfection.

I'm sorry, man, I'm just not seeing anything amazing there.  Well, his son's laughter is pretty amazing.  And the dog.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm sorry, man, I'm just not seeing anything amazing there.  Well, his son's laughter is pretty amazing.  And the dog.

I'm with you. We must be hockey rubes and hayseeds. I can picture practically every NHL player doing that. Do we really need some driveway video as evidence that Ovechkin is a force of nature?

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm with you. We must be hockey rubes and hayseeds. I can picture practically every NHL player doing that. Do we really need some driveway video as evidence that Ovechkin is a force of nature?

I am disappoint.

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For me all I can think of is how pucks and driveways never mixed... too much friction

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

For me all I can think of is how pucks and driveways never mixed... too much friction

It's not even the pucks that don't mix, it's the sticks. Asphalt just tears the hell out of stick blades until there's nothing but a little floppy bit left.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's not even the pucks that don't mix, it's the sticks. Asphalt just tears the hell out of stick blades until there's nothing but a little floppy bit left.

Especially with the slap shots.  That mixes even better with the previously mentioned driveway in need of repair.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Maybe that's his secret. He practices with the friction of the driveway so when he's on the ice his stick speed is that much faster.

Brilliant.

• Like (+1) 2

I really need to belabor this point, because I am mesmerized by that video. Here's why.

Listen to this slap shot. I know he's probably some turkey, but he has a video. (1:39)

There is two distinct hits. The stick on the ice, then the stick on the puck. A T-Kah, if you will.

Here's another. Probably another turkey but his shot is a little tighter. (3:20)

Two distinct hits. T-Kah.

Now listen to Ovi's shot,… and he's on asphalt. Again, Jebus.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Now listen to Ovi's shot,… and he's on asphalt. Again, Jebus.

Ovechkin's shot sounds very similar to the shot in the second video to me, but I'm not an audio engineer and probably don't have ears like yours.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, Eleven said:

Ovechkin's shot sounds very similar to the shot in the second video to me, but I'm not an audio engineer and probably don't have ears like yours.

That makes sense. People hear two separate events as one until they are about 30 milliseconds apart. I listen for this stuff every day so I'm probably at 20 ms.

I did a deep dive and analyzed the waveforms, cuz there is no hockey and I'm really bored.

The difference between stick to ice/stick on puck for the first guy was 36ms.

1980074666_Scrub1.thumb.png.ce336d79d8854e88e719910c12a6e70e.png

The second guy was 26ms.

80534398_Scrub2.thumb.png.e7776a578ae3466440dd567d8c8e0732.png

Ovi averaged 6. On asphalt.

OVI.thumb.png.c5e47638c50cffca978d8b993925a255.png

He's a freak.

I continue to be mesmerized by this video.

Edited by SwampD
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

That makes sense. People hear two separate events as one until they are about 30 milliseconds apart. I listen for this stuff every day so I'm probably at 20 ms.

I did a deep dive and analyzed the waveforms, cuz there is no hockey and I'm really bored.

The second guy was 26ms.

He's a freak.

Administer five ringers of lactate and two milligramameters of kaopectate STAT!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/14/2020 at 1:16 AM, SwampD said:

The second guy was 26ms.

He's a freak.

So could it just be a difference between asphalt and ice?

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

So could it just be a difference between asphalt and ice?

I would expect the time between contact with the surface and the puck to be longer on asphalt due to friction, so I think that makes what Ovi is doing even more impressive.

The best shooters are the ones who can go from loading the stick on the ice surface to making contact with the puck in the shortest time possible. So it doesn't surprise me at all that Ovi would be significantly more efficient at this process. 

I bet if swamp isolated Ovis shot in this video the results would be very good.

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I would expect the time between contact with the surface and the puck to be longer on asphalt due to friction, so I think that makes what Ovi is doing even more impressive.

The best shooters are the ones who can go from loading the stick on the ice surface to making contact with the puck in the shortest time possible. So it doesn't surprise me at all that Ovi would be significantly more efficient at this process. 

I bet if swamp isolated Ovis shot in this video the results would be very good.

I tried, but the mic is too far away from him to be able to discern the direct sound from the slap off of the boards. There may be more than one mic open as well.

You can see the slap shot making it to the camera four times here (there were actually around 8 or 9 reflections. pretty cool.) If I had to guess, the first and last one in this picture kinda show two hits, which would be about 3 or 4 milliseconds, but I can't be sure.

image.thumb.png.1570ab5bad6ed5124be13b0cee0fb493.png

• Like (+1) 1

Apologies if someone has posted tis already but the Athletic handed out the year end trophies...

Hart.........................Drai

Norris....................Jossi

Selke...............Couturier

Vezina..........Hellebuyck

Calder...................Makar

Jack Adams...Vigneault

GM.........................Sakic

I can't really argue about any of them to be honest.

Helle gets the biggest win margin with 38 out of 41 votes.

Lol Draisaitl is not the most valuable player to his team. 

Which team suffers more, the Oilers if you remove Draisaitl, or the Sabres if you remove Eichel? It's not even close. One team still has McDavid ?

If people don't want to hand out the awards based on the actual criteria stated then they should just change the definition of the awards. Make it "most outstanding" or something. 

- - - 

Also, the thread that was talking about it was locked - that proposed plan to have team "play" for the opportunity to draft first is ridiculously over-complicated. Give the top pick to the worst team. The hoops they try to jump through to solve a problem that doesn't exist is mind-boggling. 

Edited by Thorny

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Also, the thread that was talking about it was locked - that proposed plan to have team "play" for the opportunity to draft first is ridiculously over-complicated. Give the top pick to the worst team. The hoops they try to jump through to solve a problem that doesn't exist is mind-boggling. 

The problem they’re trying to solve is not the draft order. It’s an attempt to recover lost revenue. That said, using the draft order as a revenue tool is an absolutely horrible idea. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.