Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

At least he has played goaltender in his youth. Before becoming a hall of fame baseball player he tried out several times for junior teams across Canada. But I’m with you on that, I hope we don’t see it. 

Ok.  That makes it ok for me.

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ok.  That makes it ok for me.

I feel like they should at least have junior or NCAA experience.  But yeah, my initial thought when hearing about Walker was the same as yours.  They're now going to try to commercialize the emergency goalie position.  I bet the league will re-visit that aspect at the end of the year and squash events like this one.  Sure, it's a super long shot, but better safe than sorry.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like they should at least have junior or NCAA experience.  But yeah, my initial thought when hearing about Walker was the same as yours.  They're now going to try to commercialize the emergency goalie position.  I bet the league will re-visit that aspect at the end of the year and squash events like this one.  Sure, it's a super long shot, but better safe than sorry.

Can’t wait for fan lotteries for the “total game experience” including a game as EBUG.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

You have it all here, folks.  Clearly, Nic Deslauriers is a better player than Sam Reinhart.  He's also equal to Jeff Skinner.  Why are the Sabres paying Skinner so much when they could have Deslauriers?

He's also a +3 TRpm, compared to Reinhart's -13.    Has 100 more hits.   Also more blocked shots and fighting majors ?   

Those are facts, not opinions.

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Didn't see this one. Did he deflect them in off his head?

Laser beams top shelf.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's also a +3 TRpm, compared to Reinhart's -13.    Has 100 more hits.   Also more blocked shots and fighting majors ?   

Those are facts, not opinions.

It is the implicit conclusion that you are proposing from those facts that is the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It is the implicit conclusion that you are proposing from those facts that is the problem.

If you have a problem with me stating facts, then I'm not sure what to tell you.    Deal with it.

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If you have a problem with me stating facts, then I'm not sure what to tell you.    Deal with it.

I don't.  I have a problem with the implicit conclusion you are proposing from those facts.   Let's not pretend that you decided to post about Deslauriers's uncharacteristically great first period yesterday, added a phrase about Reinhart, and didn't intend to implicitly connect the two.  We're both smarter than that.  Heck, even Rob Ray is smarter than that.

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

So many players were awful in Buffalo for our previous coaches and have been successful elsewhere.  We had really bad coaches.

What's going on out in Anaheim right now, is that what we're really calling successful?

Just now, Eleven said:

Heck, even Rob Ray is smarter than that.

Ok, you need to pump the breaks on that one...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pi himself has pointed out many times that you can't use it to compare players on different teams. Which means one thing - this is the billionth example that pi's primary role at sabrespace is to troll for reactions

And it’s allowed. Often. But it’s not allowed to be pointed out?

Edited by Zamboni

Mackinnon
Makar
Rantanen
Kadri
Grubauer
Burakovsky
Calvert
Wilson

This is the list of currently-injured Avalanche players. It includes the 1C, the 1D, the 1RW, the 2C, the 1G, their 3rd best winger, and key penalty killers. Some of them have been out a while, some will be out for a while. We'll see what this does to their season, but if I hear any member of this organization trying to pull out an injury excuse, I will punch them in the face

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mackinnon
Makar
Rantanen
Kadri
Grubauer
Burakovsky
Calvert
Wilson

This is the list of currently-injured Avalanche players. It includes the 1C, the 1D, the 1RW, the 2C, the 1G, their 3rd best winger, and key penalty killers. Some of them have been out a while, some will be out for a while. We'll see what this does to their season, but if I hear any member of this organization trying to pull out an injury excuse, I will punch them in the face

Do any of those injuries require starting Carter Hutton??

I love the energy of watching two Canadien teams play on the French broadcast. Looking forward to Jets Oilers.

Side note: I don't speak French, but I have ears, and there is no way that Canadien French doesn't sound just as boorish to the French, as American English sounds to the English.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

here is no way that Canadien French doesn't sound just as boorish to the French, as American English sounds to the English.

Oh, it sounds worse to the French!  They just won't admit it because of their 1000+ year war against English.  But it is an abomination to them.  

Also, I explained to a friend from Colombia yesterday why "papas fritas" doesn't fly in Spain.  He was astonished.

Just how language works.

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Honestly,… as hockey fans, does no-one else see what a freak Ovechkin is in this video? Jebus!

I’m amazed that a man who has made as much money as Ovie has a driveway that needs to be re-done.  That could easily be my driveway.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Also, I explained to a friend from Colombia yesterday why "papas fritas" doesn't fly in Spain.

Okay I give up.  Why not?

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m amazed that a man who has made as much money as Ovie has a driveway that needs to be re-done.  That could easily be my driveway.

Shabby chic.

Seriously, I'm guessing it's just not a priority with him.

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

I love the energy of watching two Canadien teams play on the French broadcast. Looking forward to Jets Oilers.

Side note: I don't speak French, but I have ears, and there is no way that Canadien French doesn't sound just as boorish to the French, as American English sounds to the English.

How is Jets-Oilers drawing you to a french broadcast?

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Honestly,… as hockey fans, does no-one else see what a freak Ovechkin is in this video? Jebus!

I think canine Ovie likes the slap shots even more than junior.

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Okay I give up.  Why not?

"Papas" isn't the word for "potatoes" in Spain.  "Patatas" is.  So if you ask for "papas," you immediately betray yourself as a New Worlder.  Just like French, English, and any other international Euro language, there are different words for things on different sides of the pond.  Brazilian Portugese is another example.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.