Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disappeared from the game?  You need to watch somebody besides the Sabres.

totally agree...I stated in another thread that anyone who thinks that nastiness and grit is goner should have watched Boston Florida. It was fun! They actually looked like they cared and wanted to win. Don;t see that much in Sabreland these days

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

totally agree...I stated in another thread that anyone who thinks that nastiness and grit is goner should have watched Boston Florida. It was fun! They actually looked like they cared and wanted to win. Don;t see that much in Sabreland these days

Exactly! Grit, physical play, heaviness. Whatever word you feel warm and fuzzy about using. It still exists. It’s of course a far far cry from the days of “oh, ah, Sabres on the warpath”, but the rules have also changed thru the decades too. Instead of the majority of the players playing like that all season. Now you get a few players in the league playing like that all season. And a handful of others playing like that once March hits and playoff pictures start to develop. And a handful of others start to play out of character once the playoffs start and add more grit and jam to their game. It’s part of the reason playoffs are much more entertaining to watch than the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disappeared from the game?  You need to watch somebody besides the Sabres.

I forgot that some people take everything literally.  I'm not going to get too technical here, but let me plot the number of fights per year:

\

Seriously, look at these numbers.  I'm not really sure why that separate portion of 2018-2019 is listed, but whatever, the full year is there.  So in just 20 year, the number of fights has dropped by roughly 66%.  I'd love to see some older numbers because I'm wondering if I may have to switch my incredible graph above to an "I".

44 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The 20-minute second period of the Blues-Rangers game on Tuesday only took 25 minutes in "real time" to play (only 2 whistles).

That incredible.  Great for fans, not so much for TV advertisers.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I forgot that some people take everything literally.  I'm not going to get too technical here, but let me plot the number of fights per year:

\

Seriously, look at these numbers.  I'm not really sure why that separate portion of 2018-2019 is listed, but whatever, the full year is there.  So in just 20 year, the number of fights has dropped by roughly 66%.  I'd love to see some older numbers because I'm wondering if I may have to switch my incredible graph above to an "I".

Oh absolutely as a whole they fight way less, but it's like Zamboni said, in March things change. When you have teams that compete, teams that care, play passionately, stuff breaks out on occasion. We almost never see this from the Sabres because they can't play that way and basically don't seem to care. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh absolutely as a whole they fight way less, but it's like Zamboni said, in March things change. When you have teams that compete, teams that care, play passionately, stuff breaks out on occasion. We almost never see this from the Sabres because they can't play that way and basically don't seem to care. 

Or you never see it from Buffalo because they're never in it at the end.  Just stop and think for a second about how many guys on this team have never seen a playoff game.  It's not about a lack of caring, this team is not in it because they're not any good.  There's plenty of guys on this team who would be involved in that stuff come April if they were actually still playing (Ristolainen, McCabe, Larsson, etc...).  Caring and being good at hockey, they're not the same thing.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Or you never see it from Buffalo because they're never in it at the end.  Just stop and think for a second about how many guys on this team have never seen a playoff game.  It's not about a lack of caring, this team is not in it because they're not any good.  There's plenty of guys on this team who would be involved in that stuff come April if they were actually still playing (Ristolainen, McCabe, Larsson, etc...).  Caring and being good at hockey, they're not the same thing.

Gonna disagree with you on this one. When we set off on this road trip that was supposed to be time to care and dig deep hockey. Lots of them just came out same as always and relatively flat. I'm reluctant to go on about Reinhart here, but...........  Anyway, I only see a few guys out there giving the extra that this time of year requires in order to get into those playoffs. We do really well early on when the hockey is soft, teams aren't fully engaged yet, they come in playing back up goalies taking us lightly due to current history, but when the going gets tough we get run over because we do not take it up a notch like they do. Arizona for example isn't all that talented, they just wanted it more than us. This has been the Sabres story for years now and shows no sign of changing any time soon. 

Yep...the Ducks and Ryan Miller in relief held on to beat the laughs 2-1...we are looking more and more at a nice low pick. Hell we are tanking and we are not even trying to! Tonight should be very interesting as we play Philly in the City of Brotherly Love LOL. Philly is everything that we should want our team to be. They totally rebuilt that team and got rid of some terrible contracts and drafted well and made some good trades and they are now a very good team, and still have lots of good prospects coming too. The big argument that JBotto needs four or five years loses it's  reasoning when one looks at what Philly has done in a very short period of time. Hell even Ottawa seems to be heading in the right direction after giving away their 1st picks and trading away anyone who seemed any good they still are starting to win and they play with heart and determination and grit, three things sadly lacking from our beloved Sabres.

20 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Fighting and playing tough are two separate   things. But y’all knew that. 

I'm not sure they do.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Nothing to see here. It's what "goal scorers" do. He'll cool off. They always do.

ANALYTICS!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.