Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

cbus.thumb.PNG.9601af02cb43e13c61982ba85e59b343.PNG

Columbus lost all of Artemi Panarin, Matt Duchene, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Ryan Dzingel (who had 26 goals and 56 points last year) this offseason and sit in this position. 

I would say that almost no franchise deserves the excuses they get for being bad, unless they're two or fewer seasons into a rebuild after a long, successful stretch of hockey. 

Just about any franchise at any time is capable of a competitive, compelling product. Certainly one that's been in the position we have been in any of the last five seasons.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Columbus lost all of Artemi Panarin, Matt Duchene, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Ryan Dzingel (who had 26 goals and 56 points last year) this offseason and sit in this position. 

I would say that almost no franchise deserves the excuses they get for being bad, unless they're two or fewer seasons into a rebuild after a long, successful stretch of hockey. 

Just about any franchise at any time is capable of a competitive, compelling product. Certainly one that's been in the position we have been in any of the last five seasons.

Yes, they are certainly exceedingly expectations.  I would say their management/coaching is definitely better.

I think their overall talent is on par with Buffalo, but is better utilized.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They're an example that excuses are almost always just that - excuses. 

Sure, it’s not IMPOSSIBLE for any team to make the playoffs.

Buffalo could have been a playoff team this season, but knowing their talent level, was it expected?  Does Buffalo have the talent of a normal playoff team?  My answer to both questions is, no.

Columbus is exceeding expectations.  Their performance is surprising, unexpected.  They are the exception.

Edited by Curt

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Sure, it’s not IMPOSSIBLE for any team to make the playoffs.

Buffalo could have been a playoff team this season, but knowing their talent level, was it expected?  Does Buffalo have the talent of a normal playoff team?  My answer to both questions is, no.

Columbus is exceeding expectations.  Their performance is surprising, unexpected.  They are the exception.

Of course they aren't playoff caliber, what I'm saying is that Jason has no real excuse for them not being playoff caliber for the 2019-20 season.

and 100% of Sabres fans would have agreed at the time of his hiring 

• Like (+1) 1

Oh so much fun to see Scandella in the intermission talking about how happy he is in Montreal and all the "passion."   and he's playing pretty good too. go figure. 

Re Columbus, Torts is a great coach. Maybe if we'd been smart enough he'd have been ours for the last couple decades.................and on top of that they found 2 Latvian goalies. Girgs not tell our guys to draft either one? or maybe they don't listen...........

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh so much fun to see Scandella in the intermission talking about how happy he is in Montreal and all the "passion."   and he's playing pretty good too. go figure. 

Re Columbus, Torts is a great coach. Maybe if we'd been smart enough he'd have been ours for the last couple decades.................and on top of that they found 2 Latvian goalies. Girgs not tell our guys to draft either one? or maybe they don't listen...........

They showed a lot of passion in a 4-1 loss?

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

They showed a lot of passion in a 4-1 loss?

Those were his words about being there not mine. The point was it just gets tiring and irritating to hear former Sabres making comments about how much they enjoy their new locations.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Chara being...Chara

Those 2 have had a thing for years. maybe they should get a room :)

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Those were his words about being there not mine. The point was it just gets tiring and irritating to hear former Sabres making comments about how much they enjoy their new locations

Yeah, I know what you mean. This team needs to win a lot more games for someone to come in and say that.

18 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

But you need to tank in order to get the best players to build around.....

I think it's really helped Columbus that Elvis has entered the building and been pretty good.

And we all know that every young hockey players dream growing up is to play in Columbus......

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. This team needs to win a lot more games for someone to come in and say that.

Winning would certainly help, but Habs aren't winning much more than us. I think it has more to do with the team attitude. I still think we are a collection of individuals and too many people here don't see their time here as part of a team that is bigger than them.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Kassian kicking Cernak in the chest with the blade of his skate.  He’ll be getting another phone call from the NHL here.  Maybe he should settle down a little.

A love tap... meh and a penalty should have been called on Cernak.  He basically laid on both of them.

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

A love tap... meh and a penalty should have been called on Cernak.  He basically laid on both of them.

Cernak took his time getting up for sure, but it doesn’t even matter.  Don’t try to blame Cernak for it.

You can’t intentionally kick someone with your skate blade.  It’s incredibly dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Cernak took his time getting up for sure, but it doesn’t even matter.  Don’t try to blame Cernak for it.

You can’t intentionally kick someone with your skate blade.  It’s incredibly dangerous.

True if you miss the chest protector... still I would have done the same or leaned in and thrown a punch if I could have reached... bs move on Cernak's side..

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Kassian kicking Cernak in the chest with the blade of his skate.  He’ll be getting another phone call from the NHL here.  Maybe he should settle down a little.

That's an automatic match penalty  and 30 day suspension by USA Hockey rules (for amateur hockey). 30 day suspension from ALL team activities including practices and off ice activity.   Can't even go in the locker room.

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah. Skate kick to the chest is way beyond the pale. I'm sure they wear space-aged chest protectors, but there was no guarantee that the skate blade was going to meet flush with that protector. Kassian is nucking futs.

Meh. Even Cernak didn’t care. He knew he was holding down two players and in no hurry to get off of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.