Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Gotta say it.  I miss this.  Came to is goalies aid.  Sent a message.  Juiced up the troops.  And entertained the hell out of the fans.

I was thinking of posting this very same thing. It's not just the fight, but the emotion and attitude. We have absolutely none of that in any form. 

and in hindsight, even this trade of JBot's was a bad one.

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Burke today on SN590, while not completely absolving Reinhart, did state vehemently that Harrington’s question was a really dumb one. So, that was fun. 

Are you "valuing" what Burke says? :)

On 2/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, Weave said:

Gotta say it.  I miss this.  Came to is goalies aid.  Sent a message.  Juiced up the troops.  And entertained the hell out of the fans.

1. That fight was started for a seemingly ridiculous reason. What the hell was Foligno defending?

2. First time in FOREVER I’ve seen a hockey fight land a couple punches. 

5 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

FWIW, I count blessings.

We're blessed that the Kings are in deadass last place and we're not subjected to insufferable posts about we should have hired Todd McClellan.

We could start insufferable posts that we should have hired Dave Tippets. He seems to be doing a good job in Edmonton. 

29 minutes ago, freester said:

We could start insufferable posts that we should have hired Dave Tippets. He seems to be doing a good job in Edmonton. 

Well, is he?  The Western Conference is a pushover this season.  10 of the top 15 teams in the league are from the Eastern Conference.  That puts them 5th in the Western Conference but if they were in the East they'd be tied with Florida for 10th.

And he has the top two scorers in the league.  I'm not saying he's terrible, I think he's been great and I have respect for him, but I don't think Edmonton is all that.. not yet.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LTS said:

Well, is he?  The Western Conference is a pushover this season.  10 of the top 15 teams in the league are from the Eastern Conference.  That puts them 5th in the Western Conference but if they were in the East they'd be tied with Florida for 10th.

And he has the top two scorers in the league.  I'm not saying he's terrible, I think he's been great and I have respect for him, but I don't think Edmonton is all that.. not yet.

I’m just comparing the team from last year to this year. It seems to be significantly improved. 

8 minutes ago, freester said:

I’m just comparing the team from last year to this year. It seems to be significantly improved. 

Absolutely.  Despite the standings, what I see from key players on the ice for the Sabres also gives me hope about Ralph.  The Sabres just don't have the talent to survive the injuries they've had.

Last year the Sabres would spend far more time (seemingly) in their own end and very little time in the opponents end. This year they seem to get out of their own end far more regularly and have periods of time where they control the puck in the opponents end. In order for it to translate into winning however you need goaltending and defense to keep the puck out of your net and you need scoring talent to put the puck in the net.  The Sabres are short on both of those.

• Like (+1) 3

Ducks fans were asked on the player movement situation today, here is the response...…..

So what's the story, trade incoming or no?
"I dunno, the thread was only posted a half hour ago."

"But seriously, they called up two defensemen for a cross country flight and are scratching one(Mahura). Would seem odd considering they'll be back in Anaheim tonight and don't have an available forward that's being scratched. Jacob Larsson is also being scratched which some may find odd."
It

Edited by Scottysabres

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But certainly was part of the Sabres' identity.  He's a former captain.

Was being the key word.  When he returned, he was no longer an identity player. 

I felt that if Foligno had stayed, he was a future captain... at least an A.

And I'm not arguing that the trade shouldn't have happened; I'm just saying that with that trade, they Sabres traded away the last native piece that played a physical, hard-nosed game worth building an identity around.  Here's to hoping Cozens and Pekar bring it back.

Edited by Doohickie

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Was being the key word.  When he returned, he was no longer an identity player. 

I felt that if Foligno had stayed, he was a future captain... at least an A.

And I'm not arguing that the trade shouldn't have happened; I'm just saying that with that trade, they Sabres traded away the last native piece that played a physical, hard-nosed game worth building an identity around.  Here's to hoping Cozens and Pekar bring it back.

The Foligno inclusion is pretty funny here given that we're talking about a so called Sabre-identity.  He's given that Sabre-identity even though it's one generation removed.  No one would have cared one bit about him if his last name was Jones.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.