Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

If he does decide to go that route he needs to be smart enough to say in the days leading up to their next game against Vancouver that he was 'just kidding' or 'clearly exaggerating due to the emotion of the moment' or he'll be suspended longer than all those other 4 combined.

He already has. He supposedly got a phone call.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ducky said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jets-perreault-mad-canucks-virtanen-no-suspension

Perreault was not too happy. I don't blame him. He has the record for 4 players suspended for infractions against him and this one shouldhave been the 5th.

“I got to take matters in my own hand next time this happens and I get to swing my stick across his forehead, and I shouldn’t get suspended then,” added Perreault.

Finally, a player I can relate to.  I just don't know how incidents like he's aspiring to don't happen more often. One spear to my junk and I'm looking to end someone's ability to eat without a straw.  

• Like (+1) 1

So the Sabres are 8 points out of 8th as we near February. How in God's name are teams like Philly, Carolina, the Rangers and especially Columbus ahead of them. Columbus gets rid of their top 2 players and somehow don't miss a beat. Carolina loses Skinner, Islanders lose Tavares......and when we lose O'Reilly, it's like there is no recovery. Buffalo has pretty good players in the top 6, reinvents the bottom 6 every year, has a decent defense and ok goaltending. I hope that someone outside of this organization places a phone call someday to Terry and is like...yeah, I know how to fix this pretty quickly because obviously your organization is still lost at sea.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

So the Sabres are 8 points out of 8th as we near February. How in God's name are teams like Philly, Carolina, the Rangers and especially Columbus ahead of them. Columbus gets rid of their top 2 players and somehow don't miss a beat. Carolina loses Skinner, Islanders lose Tavares......and when we lose O'Reilly, it's like there is no recovery. Buffalo has pretty good players in the top 6, reinvents the bottom 6 every year, has a decent defense and ok goaltending. I hope that someone outside of this organization places a phone call someday to Terry and is like...yeah, I know how to fix this pretty quickly because obviously your organization is still lost at sea.

I'm pretty sure someone is misspelling the players names on the line charts and noone knows which line they should be on and it's creating on-ice confusion and that's why we suck.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, CallawaySabres said:

I had a feeling when we had that really hot start at the beginning of the season that we might be missing a couple of pieces that would have made us unstoppable. I definitely agree that goaltending is a serious issue. We also can't seem to get around being snake bitten, which is just the nature of the beast.

Obviously, some of us think that there needs to be a shakeup in the FO - with exception to RK. I'm not sure what to think about that. I know that everyone here is getting frustrated that we may be on the outside looking in yet again.

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

I had a feeling when we had that really hot start at the beginning of the season that we might be missing a couple of pieces that would have made us unstoppable. I definitely agree that goaltending is a serious issue. We also can't seem to get around being snake bitten, which is just the nature of the beast.

Obviously, some of us think that there needs to be a shakeup in the FO - with exception to RK. I'm not sure what to think about that. I know that everyone here is getting frustrated that we may be on the outside looking in yet again.

May be on the outside? We're already toast. The only hope is that the black on the toast will be scraped off and we'll be plunged down again (then removed again, but this time before we're toast again, which I think, metaphorically represents making the playoffs).

I can't believe we're going to do this to ourselves again, or let it be done to us again, or however you want to put it. We need to finish the season on about a 112-point full-season pace.

Edited by PASabreFan

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The only hope is that the black on the toast will be scraped off and we'll be plunged down again (then removed again, but this time before we're toast again, which I think, metaphorically represents making the playoffs).

I find your metaphor...... lacking.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

May be on the outside? We're already toast. The only hope is that the black on the toast will be scraped off and we'll be plunged down again (then removed again, but this time before we're toast again, which I think, metaphorically represents making the playoffs).

I can't believe we're going to do this to ourselves again, or let it be done to us again, or however you want to put it. We need to finish the season on about a 112-point full-season pace.

It's pretty darn ridiculous we are basically already eliminated from playoff contention before the All-Star game. It doesn't help that 8th in the East is pacing for 100 points right now, and 8th in the West for 90, but considering we are only pacing for 85, can't complain too much about the conference discrepancy. 

I said before the year and maintained that we needed to at least be on the playoff bubble, fighting for a spot into late March, or the GM should be gone. Has that ship already sailed? Looks like it barring an insane stretch after the break. 

Should the bar again be lowered? There are still some fans preaching "patience" and "next year", have we seen Botterill's teams make enough progress to warrant that faith? Is it really necessary to take this long, when we've seen other teams turn it around much more efficiently, much faster?

We need to see a big run here after the break or, to my mind, it's tough to come up with an argument for why the GM should get a 4th year. 

- - - 

Some playoffs data:

Sabres of course lead the league with 8 consecutive misses, soon to be 9. Arizona is at 7, but seem to be heading towards a spot this year. If so, the next closest after the Sabres 9 straight misses will be Vancouver (currently at 4). But they are gonna make it this year too. 

Detroit will miss obviously. So the likely scenario after this season is that the Sabres will lead the league with 9 consecutive missed playoffs years, and the next closest will be Detroit, at 4. 9 years to 4 years is the spread. 

IF THE SEASON WERE TO END RIGHT NOW - the list of franchises with a longer playoff drought than JUST BOTTERILL'S 3 YEARS AS GM OF THE SABRES is as follows: Detroit. Botteril's 3 years stretch alone will be as long or longer than any league team other than the Wings. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

IF THE SEASON WERE TO END RIGHT NOW - the list of franchises with a longer playoff drought than JUST BOTTERILL'S 3 YEARS AS GM OF THE SABRES is as follows: Detroit. Botteril's 3 years stretch alone will be as long or longer than any league team other than the Wings. 

Damn

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's pretty darn ridiculous we are basically already eliminated from playoff contention before the All-Star game. It doesn't help that 8th in the East is pacing for 100 points right now, and 8th in the West for 90, but considering we are only pacing for 85, can't complain too much about the conference discrepancy. 

I said before the year and maintained that we needed to at least be on the playoff bubble, fighting for a spot into late March, or the GM should be gone. Has that ship already sailed? Looks like it barring an insane stretch after the break. 

Should the bar again be lowered? There are still some fans preaching "patience" and "next year", have we seen Botterill's teams make enough progress to warrant that faith? Is it really necessary to take this long, when we've seen other teams turn it around much more efficiently, much faster?

We need to see a big run here after the break or, to my mind, it's tough to come up with an argument for why the GM should get a 4th year. 

- - - 

Some playoffs data:

Sabres of course lead the league with 8 consecutive misses, soon to be 9. Arizona is at 7, but seem to be heading towards a spot this year. If so, the next closest after the Sabres 9 straight misses will be Vancouver, (currently at 4). But they are gonna make it this year too. 

Detroit will miss obviously. So the likely scenario after this season is that the Sabres will lead the league with 9 consecutive missed playoffs years, and the next closest will be Detroit, at 4. 9 years to 4 years is the spread. 

*Gets paper bag, does not cut out any holes, writes LONGSUFFERING SABRES FAN, puts over head.*

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, Thorny said:

It doesn't help that 8th in the East is pacing for 100 points right now, and 8th in the West for 90, but considering we are only pacing for 85, can't complain too much about the conference discrepancy. 

True but the top 5 teams in the Pacific have the following points...

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2020 at 1:49 PM, Doohickie said:

I find your metaphor...... lacking.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, PASabreFan said:

I find your ellipses... overwraught.

Enough of this. PA, release him!

This bickering is pointless. Lord PA will provide us with the metaphor by the time Doohickie believes this is our year. We will then make the playoffs with one swift stroke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.