Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Man did Cernak ever learn a lesson from his two game suspension! 

I just have a really hard time caring about hits like this. Cernak started low and went upwards. If Carr were upright it’s a textbook hit through the chest. People are going to get hit in the head in sports, it doesn’t mean it’s dirty. It’s much easier watching something in slow-mo after the fact than it is reacting in real time. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I just have a really hard time caring about hits like this. Cernak started low and went upwards. If Carr were upright it’s a textbook hit through the chest. People are going to get hit in the head in sports, it doesn’t mean it’s dirty. It’s much easier watching something in slow-mo after the fact than it is reacting in real time. 

I agree things happen but guys get a reputation for a reason. Maybe this hit he didn’t mean to make head contact but through the lens of reputation it’s hard not to wonder what his intentions were.

Just now, SABRES 0311 said:

I agree things happen but guys get a reputation for a reason. Maybe this hit he didn’t mean to make head contact but through the lens of reputation it’s hard not to wonder what his intentions were.

I have close to zero doubt in my mind that it was not intentional. I would have a hard time believing the players don’t feel the same way. That isn’t to say they won’t seek retribution, but there’s a certain understanding. Not everything is malicious and once you step on the ice things get a lot more grey.

12 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I have close to zero doubt in my mind that it was not intentional. I would have a hard time believing the players don’t feel the same way. That isn’t to say they won’t seek retribution, but there’s a certain understanding. Not everything is malicious and once you step on the ice things get a lot more grey.

I think you're cracked. He is looking right at him when he hits him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

The league is (or claims to be) taking head shots out of the game.  That is darn near the same hit he put on Dahlin and as a past/ current offender, the hit on Dahlin will (or is supposed to) factor into whether he receives supplemental discipline.

And, it was textbook when Stevens and Peca played.  Rightly or wrongly, the standard has changed.  And that hit was square elbow on jaw ( if you really want to argue the point of contact was upper arm on jaw with IMMEDIATE follow through of elbow on jaw, might be willing to give that to you) and is textbooks what the league is (or claims to be) eliminating.

Throw the book at him.  Maybe when it hits him in the head, he'll pick it up and read it in the newly found free time he has.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

You've got an old edition of the textbook.  Time to update.

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don't understand and will never understand why the intent of the hit is ever a consideration. 

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

The league is (or claims to be) taking head shots out of the game.  That is darn near the same hit he put on Dahlin and as a past/ current offender, the hit on Dahlin will (or is supposed to) factor into whether he receives supplemental discipline.

And, it was textbook when Stevens and Peca played.  Rightly or wrongly, the standard has changed.  And that hit was square elbow on jaw ( if you really want to argue the point of contact was upper arm on jaw with IMMEDIATE follow through of elbow on jaw, might be willing to give that to you) and is textbooks what the league is (or claims to be) eliminating.

Throw the book at him.  Maybe when it hits him in the head, he'll pick it up and read it in the newly found free time he has.

The Dahlin hit was an extended forearm, right?  I missed that game, so I really haven't seen it much.  So at least here he can attempt the defense that he lead with the shoulder.  I'm not buying it, but you know he'll try it should the NHL come calling.

The other thing mentioned upthread was the upward direction through the hit.  Gee, and you wonder why so many people wind up getting hit in the head.  That's the garbage that leads to so many head injuries, both in hockey and it football. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

The Dahlin hit was an extended forearm, right?  I missed that game, so I really haven't seen it much.  So at least here he can attempt the defense that he lead with the shoulder.  I'm not buying it, but you know he'll try it should the NHL come calling.

The other thing mentioned upthread was the upward direction through the hit.  Gee, and you wonder why so many people wind up getting hit in the head.  That's the garbage that leads to so many head injuries, both in hockey and it football. 

It was a MMA style elbow to the face. It was absolutely intentional and why everyone was so pissed

Edited by miles

59 minutes ago, shrader said:

Here you go... compare the two ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1199144976535343104?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-683300442800521964.ampproject.net%2F1911191835190%2Fframe.html

side question for those who are knowledgable about Twitter. Is there a way to imbed twitter videos if you do not have a twitter account? If so, explain please.

Edited by Zamboni

21 minutes ago, miles said:

It was a MMA style elbow to the face. It was absolutely intentional and why everyone was so pissed

Agree.  In the seconds leading up to the incident, Cernak was fairly stationary watching Dahlin.  As Dahlin moved towards him, Cernak attempted a one-handed poke check with his left hand and missed.  Dahlin made his backward pass, but continued advancing towards Cernak's position near the face-off dot.  Cernak was waiting for him there and immediately raised his left elbow in the direction of Dahlin's head.  To my eye, it looked he intentionally raised his left elbow when he could have easily used his shoulder to take the body instead.

Dahlin.PNG.ea3269dbb8e49e8b12619cecf05d44d9.PNG

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Kane might've gotten Gudas with the butt-end though. 

Yeah, that was my thought.  He could get the book thrown at him if that connected.

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Here you go... compare the two ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1199144976535343104?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-683300442800521964.ampproject.net%2F1911191835190%2Fframe.html

side question for those who are knowledgable about Twitter. Is there a way to imbed twitter videos if you do not have a twitter account? If so, explain please.

So the hits themselves are pretty different, but the timing could not be any worse for Cernak.  If the league finds it to be illegal, he's getting a good amount of free time with his family for christmas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.