Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So do they expect him to continue to get paid even though he never reported to the team?  I've never seen any statement from his side on exactly why he's not there, but then again, I really haven't looked.  If it's a health related thing, fine, but even with that you can't expect so say you'll play if and when you want to and still expect a routine salary.

11 hours ago, sweetlou said:

What is up with Bobby Ryan becoming a NHL player Assistant?  What kind of position is that and why does Ottawa get cap relief because of it?

It's the player assistance program.  It's a confidential thing so you won't get the specifics unless someone creepily leaks them out.  It has to be some sort of personal or health issue.  Think of it as a different type of LTIR, so that's where the cap relief comes from.  More importantly, it's a program that will offer him assistance with whatever issue he may be facing.

And after a quick google search, I had never read his background story before.  That's some messed up stuff.  I can't imagine living out a very public life under those circumstances.

• Like (+1) 2

Rumor has it that Buff is saying his ankle neded surgery from an injury last year although he signed off at the end of last season as being healthy...that is what I heard anyway....it'd be nice to know what he is doing so Chevy can have the 7.6m of caphit if he isn't coming back. 

People are/were calling for Maurice's head but considering the D corps he has to work with and how well the team has been doing, I'd consider him for coach of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Rumor has it that Buff is saying his ankle neded surgery from an injury last year although he signed off at the end of last season as being healthy...that is what I heard anyway....it'd be nice to know what he is doing so Chevy can have the 7.6m of caphit if he isn't coming back. 

People are/were calling for Maurice's head but considering the D corps he has to work with and how well the team has been doing, I'd consider him for coach of the year.

Am I reading this right?  He wants to have a surgery but the team doesn't want him to do it.  If that's the case, actually having the surgery would probably help his appeal.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Am I reading this right?  He wants to have a surgery but the team doesn't want him to do it.  If that's the case, actually having the surgery would probably help his appeal.

The trick, if I remember correctly, is who is responsible for his injury and how that affects his contract, IR status, etc.

Winnipeg would probably like to suspend him if he suffered a non-hockey injury, but if it's a hockey injury then that's a different situation.

Remember Teppo and his heart surgery?

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The trick, if I remember correctly, is who is responsible for his injury and how that affects his contract, IR status, etc.

Winnipeg would probably like to suspend him if he suffered a non-hockey injury, but if it's a hockey injury then that's a different situation.

Remember Teppo and his heart surgery?

Teppo did have the surgery though.  I'm not sure of the legality of the whole thing, but I feel like not showing up simply because of what is just a disagreement at this point warrants still getting paid.  Having it done would force their hand.  Sitting for two+ months because you need a surgery but then not actually having the surgery?  It's a weird look.  But like I said, I'm no lawyer.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought one of the recent 31 thoughts went into detail on the whole Byfuglien thing.  He's claiming he had a hockey injury from last year (as stated above) even though he signed off on it. He signed off on it because they all thought it would heal over the summer. Now the team doesn't think it's a hockey injury (implying he hurt himself over the summer), while Byfuglien does.

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

People are/were calling for Maurice's head but considering the D corps he has to work with and how well the team has been doing, I'd consider him for coach of the year. I'd consider Hellebuyck for Vezina. 

FTFY

cool .930 sv% goes a long way. 

- - - 

Jets have definitely been better lately, but half their wins are still in OT/SO. 21st in regulation wins. They could be in line for another bump in the road if Hellebuyck cools off even a little. Still, credit to them for rebounding from their poor start. With that D-core, it's an accomplishment regardless. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, shrader said:

Its the player assistance program.  It's a confidential thing so you won't get the specifics unless someone creepily leaks them out.  It has to be some sort of personal or health issue.  Think of it as a different type of LTIR, so that's where the cap relief comes from.  More importantly, it's a program that will offer him assistance with whatever issue he may be facing.

And after a quick google search, I had never read his background story before.  That's some messed up stuff.  I can't imagine living out a very public life under those circumstances.

When I read it, I assumed he has either a Drug or Alcohol issue and it's a rehab program he would be going to. Since they can't put him on IR, this is the way for the team and league to let him get help during the season.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He's also too small to play defense in the NHL. 

It was kind of a joke.

It’s true that his size limits his ability to defend in a lot of situations.  But it’s also true that his transition/offensive ability really reduces the amount of time that he actually has to spend defending.

Overall you are looking at a solidly above average player.  A very dangerous player.  There are other guys who can play in the more defensive situations and PK.

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

It was kind of a joke.

It’s true that his size limits his ability to defend in a lot of situations.  But it’s also true that his transition/offensive ability really reduces the amount of time that he actually has to spend defending.

Overall you are looking at a solidly above average player.  A very dangerous player.  There are other guys who can play in the more defensive situations and PK.

I was just piling on the joke ?

On 11/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, shrader said:

He had the surgery...on his own...told the team he was having it but that's all the team had to do with it  from what I've heard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.