Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Ron is still staying and doing segments, no?

For the time being.  Depending on what CBC does with the Coach's Corner segment, he could find himself pushed aside.  That said, he's had 30+ years as a top line announcer, makes enough money to have someone like Don Meehan represent him, even if he gets cut loose and can't find work, I think he'll have a fine retirement.

EDIT:  For anyone who's worried about whether ol' Ron will land on his feet, he makes $450k/year and is worth $3M.  Not superstar numbers, but enough to be comfortable for the rest of his days.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

For the time being.  Depending on what CBC does with the Coach's Corner segment, he could find himself pushed aside.  That said, he's had 30+ years as a top line announcer, makes enough money to have someone like Don Meehan represent him, even if he gets cut loose and can't find work, I think he'll have a fine retirement.

EDIT:  For anyone who's worried about whether ol' Ron will land on his feet, he makes $450k/year and is worth $3M.  Not superstar numbers, but enough to be comfortable for the rest of his days.

He may not do the Saturday night segment anymore, or another version of it, but he still does the Sunday Night 'Home Town Hockey' where he and Tara Slone travel around Canada and do a broadcast from that City. Last week they were in Welland and had former Sabres Dan Paille and Matt Ellis, along with former NHLers Bissonnette and Dan Girardi out to talk about growing up and playing in Welland. It's usually a full weekend thing where they have meet Nd greets, games and other stuff to see and do for fans, then it ends with the hosts broadcasting from the location and the location showing one of the nights games on a screen outside (they showed Toronto vs Chicago). Ron isn't out of work if they cut out his Saturday segment. It might be nice for him because he won't have to travel back to the Toronto studio for Saturday's broadcast. (It's a short trip, but he did a bunch of things in Welland on Friday, went back to Toronto on Saturday for Cherry's last segment, then back to Welland Sunday for the broadcast and his apology for not saying or doing anything at the time)

As for Don, Sportsnet gave him the chance to apologise for his words and he refused so they let him go. He wasn't fired just for this comment, he has had many comments over the years that got him in trouble and have been viewed as controversial and this was the last one. His comments were directed at refugees/immigrants coming here (and just like south of our borders, it's been a hot button issue that's divided the country) and in today's world comments like that are not being tolerated anymore. His supporters keep saying it's because of him saying 'you people' and twist it to make it out to be him refering to everyone in the country, but it was what followed that got him in trouble, when you add the "...who come here and enjoy our milk and honey, etc." He has always been someone who has had harsh comments about the Euro players who play in the NHL, along with the French. You might be able to blame it on him being from another time where his comments and words would be acceptable, but times are changing and now so is the show. Don could have easily come out, said he misspoke on air and explained what he was trying to say (that Remembrance Day and wearing a poppy is becoming less and less celebrated) and even met with some of the people who have come here and talked with them to possibly inform them of this part of our culture and its importance.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, millbank said:

Starting next Monday Don Cherry with his son will have Podcast , The Grapevine.to discuss hockey and other matters to his choosing . 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-don-cherry-comes-back-with-a-new-show/amp

How many people who really want to go out of their way to listen to Cherry also know how to use podcasts?

I would guess that the overlap of those two groups is relatively small.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Hopefully he treats him better than Cal O’Reilly did

This is actually really nice to see.  Makes me feel good for both of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

How many people who really want to go out of their way to listen to Cherry also know how to use podcasts?

I would guess that the overlap of those two groups is relatively small.

This is actually really nice to see.  Makes me feel good for both of them.

Hey I’m only 54 and figuring out podcasts was easy peasy. Nothing to it. Figuring out a rotary dial phone now that is downright difficult for the future leaders of our countries. Don will find his audience and his audience will find him if they want to listen.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Hey I’m only 54 and figuring out podcasts was easy peasy. Nothing to it. Figuring out a rotary dial phone now that is downright difficult for the future leaders of our countries. Don will find his audience and his audience will find him if they want to listen.

And you are excited to listen to Don Cherry’s podcast?

I didn’t say that no one over whatever age listens to podcasts, just probably not the same people who are interested in Cherry.

Edited by Curt

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

And you are excited to listen to Don Cherry’s podcast?

Lol. I didn’t say I would. I could barely tolerate him on HNiC . But I’m almost positive he has a pretty rabid following based on what I’ve seen on social media this past week. At least North of the border. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be a semi retirement gig for him as he winds down.

Edited by bunomatic

Ron MacLean will do regular pre game hosting in between periods , and after game as he always has . Likely will also do Olympic Coverage , plus the regular Sunday segment . He has become one of Canada’s most respected and liked personalities. What transpired was sad and unfortunate for all. There was not a winner apart from those who did not enjoy Don Cherry( which there were many who had their knives out ready.) A shame he did not finish the year. 

8 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Lol. I didn’t say I would. I could barely tolerate him on HNiC . But I’m almost positive he has a pretty rabid following based on what I’ve seen on social media this past week. At least North of the border. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be a semi retirement gig for him as he winds down.

I wonder how quickly he'll run out of steam when he has to talk for a period of time that is much longer than a short intermission segment.  That could be trouble at his age.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Burakovsky has 10. Plenty of forward talent out there on the cheap who could have helped, and Botterill gave us...Jimmy Vesey. 0 goals and 2 assists. It's not Jimmy's fault he's skating with Mittelstadt...but still. 

It's jimmy's fault he is doing jack ***** to help Mitts or himself. Vesey is an offensive passenger in the extreme and maybe Mitts should chew less tobacco and hit the gym more. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.