Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

On 11/11/2019 at 2:02 PM, millbank said:

Sportsnet has just announced that after discussion with Don Cherry he has been fired immediately.  

They taped the segment, played it at intermission at three separate (games) times, and then they fired him??? What a crock.

Someone at Sportsnet should also be looking for work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

the Caps' color guy

Craig Laiughlin is the second-worst person in Washington.  I sometimes miss living there, but then I hear his voice and I'm good with being here with Rob Ray.  WITH ROB RAY.  That says something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Craig Laiughlin is the second-worst person in Washington.  I sometimes miss living there, but then I hear his voice and I'm good with being here with Rob Ray.  WITH ROB RAY.  That says something.

What’s your thoughts on FP Santangelo? I know many around baseball don’t like him but I’ve meet never few Nats fans who don’t absolutely love him. 

11 hours ago, millbank said:

Ron MacClean tonight 

There's five minutes I want back.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

What’s your thoughts on FP Santangelo? I know many around baseball don’t like him but I’ve meet never few Nats fans who don’t absolutely love him. 

I don't know much about him.  I don't get Nats broadcasts.

11 hours ago, millbank said:

Ron MacClean tonight 

Thanks for posting.  

A pretty lame response in my view.  It comes off like a guy who felt his job was to babysit his co-host, feels like he failed, is afraid that people will blame him, and is trying to cover himself.  Ron, no one blames you.  It’s not your fault that Cherry got himself fired.

Babcock does need to go. The team is incapable of playing the grinding, defensive hockey he wants out of them, and he's neutered the only thing they do well in trying to coach them that way. You have to coach to the parts you have. Toronto's defense is capable of being as good as Pittsburgh's in 2016-17. Their offense is capable of being better. Coach with that in mind. 

It will be ironic that all of the emotion that came with the Babcock and Bylsma saga will end five years later with zero playoff series wins combined 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Babcock does need to go. The team is incapable of playing the grinding, defensive hockey he wants out of them, and he's neutered the only thing they do well in trying to coach them that way. You have to coach to the parts you have. Toronto's defense is capable of being as good as Pittsburgh's in 2016-17. Their offense is capable of being better. Coach with that in mind. 

It will be ironic that all of the emotion that came with the Babcock and Bylsma saga will end five years later with zero playoff series wins combined 

I can’t pretend this thought hasn’t skirted across my mind regarding Krueger’s approach to Dahlin vs Housley’s. 

I’m deferring to GM “It’s a situation where” and Krueger on their development plan for him, it’s largely too early to question it. But, they really, really better know what they are doing. 

Really. 

Edited by Thorny

It sounded to me like the honest wanderings of a man who was truly affected by the actions of a friend and the end of an era.  Full of things to say and at a loss for words all at the same time.

I sensed a genuine affection for Grapes there, and a sense of loss.  Imagine being forced into retirement suddenly, without warning, and because of the words and actions of a friend.

I'm more than a little impressed that he's not expressing anger towards Cherry.  It would certainly be warranted.  The end of the show was squarely in Cherry's lap.  It sounded to me like the network gave Cherry the opportunity to walk his comments back and he chose not to do so.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Sounded like rambling and babbling to me. 

Coach's Corner has been less about hockey analysis for the last 15 years and more about the ramblings of an increasingly aging man.  I would keep Coach's Corner alive and replace the "coach".  It's not "Cherry's Corner."  Get someone who is more in touch with today's game and less stuck in last generations issues.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

It sounded to me like the honest wanderings of a man who was truly affected by the actions of a friend and the end of an era.  Full of things to say and at a loss for words all at the same time.

I sensed a genuine affection for Grapes there, and a sense of loss.  Imagine being forced into retirement suddenly, without warning, and because of the words and actions of a friend.

I'm more than a little impressed that he's not expressing anger towards Cherry.  It would certainly be warranted.  The end of the show was squarely in Cherry's lap.  It sounded to me like the network gave Cherry the opportunity to walk his comments back and he chose not to do so.

I could be wrong but the coaches corner segment is prerecorded which gives the network time to pre-emp the ramblings of a sometimes uncouth old guy. This makes their decision to air the segment despite what was said all the more puzzling. I don’t believe what was said was all that bad. The ‘ you people ‘ bit can be found on a recording of the rememberance day segment in 98 and again in 15 with no public outcry and no firing. Lately the network has been losing money and have recently let employees go. Nick Kypreos being the most notable. Cherrys 2.5 million salary was perhaps too rich and they may have been looking for a reason to retire him. He was 85 . But as we all know he’s said much worse in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I could be wrong but the coaches corner segment is prerecorded which gives the network time to pre-emp the ramblings of a sometimes uncouth old guy. This makes their decision to air the segment despite what was said all the more puzzling.  

Exactly

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Ron is still staying and doing segments, no?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.