Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He's been working with Don Cherry for about 35 years, the 1st 20 or so as a "dum-dum" which was about the nicest thing Cherry ever said to him early on.

You'd probably look a bit older than your natural years too.

Now I'm trying to picture handing that role over to a 24 year old.  He must have gone gray in about a week.

• Haha (+1) 2

People have thin skins. Many are upset and they’re not sure why . The media loves to divide. And there’s nothing wrong with asking people to respect the people who payed the ultimate sacrifice so we could have the freedom to have an opinion among other things. This morning I went to Tim Hortons. Half the people not wearing poppies were white. I suppose they could have been immigrants ? I’m sure some were born and raised here. Who cares ? I won’t even get into the people that were any of about 20 different shades of non white for fear of offending anyone. Regardless many were wearing poppies and some weren’t. Its really none of my business.Thats the beauty of freedom.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, millbank said:

Sportsnet has just announced that after discussion with Don Cherry he has been fired immediately.  

Don has always been a champion of and supporter of veterans and of those that paid the ultimate sacrifice. Good on ya Don. What you said may have offended some but it wasn’t wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

People have thin skins. Many are upset and they’re not sure why . The media loves to divide. And there’s nothing wrong with asking people to respect the people who payed the ultimate sacrifice so we could have the freedom to have an opinion among other things. This morning I went to Tim Hortons. Half the people not wearing poppies were white. I suppose they could have been immigrants ? I’m sure some were born and raised here. Who cares ? I won’t even get into the people that were any of about 20 different shades of non white for fear of offending anyone. Regardless many were wearing poppies and some weren’t. Its really none of my business.Thats the beauty of freedom.

I believe the point you are making is that people, in general, might be losing the desire to display the-poppy. That’s a perfectly good take.  Saying that immigrants are the ones who are being disrespectful is the problem.  Because as you pointed out in your anecdotal experience... it wasn’t just immigrants.

seeya grapes... you damn old fool.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

I believe the point you are making is that people, in general, might be losing the desire to display the-poppy. That’s a perfectly good take.  Saying that immigrants are the ones who are being disrespectful is the problem.  Because as you pointed out in your anecdotal experience... it wasn’t just immigrants.

seeya grapes... you damn old fool.

Don failed to acknowledge that we are basically a country of immigrants which may have placated the snowflakes. Poor choice of words on his part because as you said in the small sample size that I witnessed today there were people of all stripes either wearing or not wearing the poppy. Its their choice and none of our business. Don finally succumbed to his opinions. I suppose he shouldn’t have done it on someone else’s dime.

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Don failed to acknowledge that we are basically a country of immigrants which may have placated the snowflakes. Poor choice of words on his part because as you said in the small sample size that I witnessed today there were people of all stripes either wearing or not wearing the poppy. Its their choice and none of our business. Don finally succumbed to his opinions. I suppose he shouldn’t have done it on someone else’s dime.

Just remember...the same freedom you want Don to have in speaking his beliefs is the same freedom others get in speaking against him. In the end, it’s business, and the impact to HNIC is that if Cherry stays, viewers may go, or sponsors may go.

everyone is entitled to their opinion... and the repercussions of sharing it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

Just remember...the same freedom you want Don to have in speaking his beliefs is the same freedom others get in speaking against him. In the end, it’s business, and the impact to HNIC is that if Cherry stays, viewers may go, or sponsors may go.

everyone is entitled to their opinion... and the repercussions of sharing it.

The sponsors will go because they always succumb to pressure, regardless of how real the pressure is. And when the sponsors, and therefore the money, goes, HNIC sees themselves left with no choice.

The irony is that Canada tries to play both sides of the nationalism issue, since, for one thing, the Canadian content and French-language laws still exist.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, millbank said:

Sportsnet has just announced that after discussion with Don Cherry he has been fired immediately.  

A relic of another age.  Time to move on.

I read some quotes from McLean on the matter and he said he owed the Canadian people an apology for not calling Cherry out when he made his remarks Saturday.  (So typically Canada when you think about it.)

So if they decide to keep the Coach's Corner segment, who do you think the new Coach will be, and will McLean continue or will he end up going his own way?

52 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

A relic of another age.  Time to move on.

I read some quotes from McLean on the matter and he said he owed the Canadian people an apology for not calling Cherry out when he made his remarks Saturday.  (So typically Canada when you think about it.)

So if they decide to keep the Coach's Corner segment, who do you think the new Coach will be, and will McLean continue or will he end up going his own way?

I think Brian Burke May be a easy replacement 

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

It’s funny. If he doesn’t use the word “you,” and just says people, I bet nobody thinks it’s offensive (as it is barely offensive to begin with.)

If he says "people" and not "you" it's no longer a discriminatory statement, so, yeah.

I think it's pretty much a given that he used the word he really wanted to use.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm more than a little amazed that Cherry's shtick didn't get him fired alot sooner than this.

And I'm not looking forward to the Thanksgiving conversation when this inevitably gets brought up. 

There have been many other times where he has been close but they stuck by him and just passed it off as "Don being Don". Considering he has always been vocal against non North American players, I'm not surprised he has issues with immigrants. He gets away with it because he portrays himself as 'Mr. Canada' and he supports the Troops/Veterans so he can't be a bad guy

I'm not surprised, but it's kind of sad to see how many people are trying to defend Cherry and are angry at Sportsnet for firing him. This is the same guy who said that players suing over head injuries are looking for a money grab, after he made millions selling videos of the hits that gave those players head injuries.

27 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They don’t teach about the fall of Rome anymore do they?  Bunch of ninnies 

Rome fell because the Romans were ninnies?

I thought Rome fell because of their decline in available slave labor, privatization of the military, civil wars, rampant corruption within government, incompetent emperors, climate change leading to poor harvests making it difficult to feed their larger population centers, and a dozen other reasons.

But I didn’t learn about it in school, so I guess the answer to your question is no.  Some people do teach it though.  I recommend Mike Duncan’s wonderful podcast “History of Rome”.    It’s really fantastic.  Always engaging, never too dry.

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.