Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It's amazing how many of those tough guys are out there. That's just hockey. Don't touch my goalie. I get protecting your goalie. Sucker punching a dude in the face when your real motive was to atone for your ***** turn over.  It's about as petty as it gets.  

Captures the essence of Lucic about as well as anything I’ve ever read.

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s not wrong 

Except for the last few months Lehner was defined here by keeping the score 2-2 while being outshot 40-20, then making a mistake late to pick up the “L” and get all the blame for it. He was a much more capable player than fans ever gave him credit for.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Captures the essence of Lucic about as well as anything I’ve ever read.

Except for the last few months Lehner was defined here by keeping the score 2-2 while being outshot 40-20, then making a mistake late to pick up the “L” and get all the blame for it. He was a much more capable player than fans ever gave him credit for.

Can't disagree.  He was a mess personally, but the team was a mess professionally while he was here.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shrader said:

They really need to turn this into some sort of psychological test: what did you see first.  And I'll admit it, I saw the puppy first.

What puppy?

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

He’s not wrong 

He was actually pretty diplomatic by saying "arguably."  I, for one, appreciate the weasel word.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nope; they made him a two-year offer.  He chose one year, more money per year (prorating the NYI offer), in Chicago.

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/robin-lehner-explains-what-happened-with-him-and-islanders/308698400

Lehner:       
"It not working out in Long Island had nothing to do with me. I never walked away from anything."

"We were still pretty much all in with Long Island, and they walked away," Lehner said. "They didn't want to do anything. They walked away with another goalie."

Read article for more details.

Edited by Curt

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/robin-lehner-explains-what-happened-with-him-and-islanders/308698400

Lehner:       
"It not working out in Long Island had nothing to do with me. I never walked away from anything."

"We were still pretty much all in with Long Island, and they walked away," Lehner said. "They didn't want to do anything. They walked away with another goalie."

Read article for more details.

That is likely more reliable than the wikipedia article I looked at.

Still, Chicago gave him $5M for a reason.

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Hasek was an ass, but did he say stuff along these lines, I honestly forget

About the worst thing that Hasek said about teammates or coaches/ staff was saying (and this is paraphrasing) "It would be better for me if he was not here.". Which was in reference to Ted Nolan returning for the '97-'98 season.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

About the worst thing that Hasek said about teammates or coaches/ staff was saying (and this is paraphrasing) "It would be better for me if he was not here.". Which was in reference to Ted Nolan returning for the '97-'98 season.

If I recall correctly Nolan did not return.  Something about a 1 year contract offer to the coach of the year and he told them no.  Enter Ruff.  Hasek happy.  Hasek not only quit on the team he forced the coach out.  Yuck.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If I recall correctly Nolan did not return.  Something about a 1 year contract offer to the coach of the year and he told them no.  Enter Ruff.  Hasek happy.  Hasek not only quit on the team he forced the coach out.  Yuck.

Wasn't there a rumour about Nolan banging Hasek's wife? Or am I misremembering? If so, you can't blame Hasek for wanting him out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.