Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Burakovsky was had for not much more than we paid Vesey, right? 

He cost a 3rd same as Vesey, but the Avs also threw in a 2nd and a minor leaguer, and an extra $1 million against the salary cap.

So, no, in my opinion - more like what we paid for Miller.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He cost a 3rd same as Vesey, but the Avs also threw in a 2nd and a minor leaguer, and an extra $1 million against the salary cap.

So, no, in my opinion - more like what we paid for Miller.

I think that qualifies as "not much more." Hindsight and blah blah blah, but I'd have happily gone down that route rather than the Jimmy one this past summer. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think that qualifies as "not much more." Hindsight and blah blah blah, but I'd have happily gone down that route rather than the Jimmy one this past summer. 

I don’t want to go all Thorny (?) on you, but it is literally more than twice the cost.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t want to go all Thorny (?) on you, but it is literally more than twice the cost.

Sure, but twice the cost means a lot different if the return is large than if the return is small, and this return is small! 2 and 1 are much closer to each other than 20 and 10 of the same unit "trade value" and a 3rd rounder is a lot more like the 1 than the 10 

Like had we done that, our stash of assets isn't appreciably different, and yet we'd have our other top six forward without needing to touch Risto or any other defenseman

Edited by Randall Flagg

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sure, but twice the cost means a lot different if the return is large than if the return is small, and this return is small! 2 and 1 are much closer to each other than 20 and 10 of the same unit "trade value" and a 3rd rounder is a lot more like the 1 than the 10 

Like had we done that, our stash of assets isn't appreciably different, and yet we'd have our other top six forward without needing to touch Risto or any other defenseman

A small cost to pay, but a relatively large one. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Possible unpopular opinion: Their home Neon orange unis also suck. Only their whites are good. 

Hockey demands whites at home.

I am so, so sick of this third sweater BS.

All it means is that we see every away team's whites at the arena.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Hockey demands whites at home.

I am so, so sick of this third sweater BS.

All it means is that we see every away team's whites at the arena.

I wouldn't mind a couple years of the Royal as our homes because they'll look so nice, but in general I'm with you. 

Wearing white at home while making our playoff runs feels very appropriate to me.

Gandalf-esque.  

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Too many skate blades near guys heads in that clip for my tastes

The insanity of dropping glove and blindly diving into piles like that is something I've never understood.  I had one of those brawls once in a high school game and there was no way I was doing that.  I went with crowd control instead, stopping anyone else from adding to the pile (no @LGR4GM, please don't post a South Park "back in the pile" GIF).  I just about died of laughter when some d-bag challenged me to drop the gloves, and then immediately stepped on a stick and fell flat on his ass.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.