Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

25 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

They mentioned in the Blues game that Ovechkin is tied for 4th all time in PP goals.  I guessed Gretzky, Kurri, Brett Hull and Gordie Howe as the others (with very limited success).  #1 really tripped me out!

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-power-play-goals-leaders.html

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

Holy cow!  An offensive stat Gretzky doesn't own.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Got 1 & 2, but my others were off - 6th and waaaaay off 17th.  Eh.

Is it not crazy that Gretz scored “only” 204 PP goals but 73 SH!  617 at ES.  

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Is it not crazy that Gretz scored “only” 204 PP goals but 73 SH!  617 at ES.  

Well, remember during his time in Edmonton he'd "kill" penalties with Kurri.  Kurri stayed in the zone and Gretzky hung out in the neutral zone.  So it was basically a 5 on 3.  But once Kurri or Fuhr or Huddy or Lowe chipped the puck out of the zone Wayne was away on a breakaway.

1 hour ago, BagBoy said:

They mentioned in the Blues game that Ovechkin is tied for 4th all time in PP goals.  I guessed Gretzky, Kurri, Brett Hull and Gordie Howe as the others (with very limited success).  #1 really tripped me out!

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-power-play-goals-leaders.html

Wow that's incredible. I knew Ovechkin was top-tier on the PP, but I wasn't aware that he is unquestionably the best PP scorer ever.

Edit: Didn't see Mario's PPG/Game ratio. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Where's @Randall Flagg we gotta talk about how Vegas plays the game the right way and in such a stark contrast to the way the Sabres have been. 

Dude last spring Vegas was playing some of the best hockey I've ever seen, in round 1. The way they played game 7 before that major call, and then the furious race to tie it before regulation ended, I was speechless. 

I think they're a serious cup contender just because of how seamlessly they play as one entity

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Dude last spring Vegas was playing some of the best hockey I've ever seen, in round 1. The way they played game 7 before that major call, and then the furious race to tie it before regulation ended, I was speechless. 

I think they're a serious cup contender just because of how seamlessly they play as one entity

I think what's interesting is no one on Vegas plays their own version of hockey. They're all playing the same way. 

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think what's interesting is no one on Vegas plays their own version of hockey. They're all playing the same way. 

And they're all smart enough to know exactly what the others are thinking and doing. Stone, Patches, Karlsson, there are some seriously cerebral guys in huge roles on that team. I liked them before, but when they acquired Stone, it just went next level. He's been one of the top ~5 players in the world since he went to that team IMO, even though the early G/A/PTS didn't show it.

Edit: By "before" I just meant last season before the Stone trade. Not trying to pretend I didn't think Vegas would be terrible for years

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I still think they win the cup last year without that botched call. It only looks worse since. 

11 hours ago, BagBoy said:

I would have thought that #1 was common knowledge around here, at least among the 40+ year olds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.