Sobotka and the 2nd line

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

This board, and your argument (which has merit) can both do without this, frankly.  

fair, but it is also annoying when old timers gang up to defend each other. It's a sports board behavior that tries to exclude and control. There was no need for it (and I see it often against me and many others). But whatever.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

fair, but it is also annoying when old timers gang up to defend each other. It's a sports board behavior that tries to exclude and control. There was no need for it (and I see it often against me and many others). But whatever.  

There will be those who agree with you and those who don't.  Everywhere.  Conversing and responding in the way you do will invite similar type responses back at you. The snark about pretty graphs invites a response from those who support statistics and since you demeaned them you are likely to get a response back about how you love neanderthal hockey or some other snarky insult.

Then you wonder why it happens?

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

you his sister?

go ahead, attack any dissenting opinion, it makes for a great discussion board full of new ideas and new opinions.

you're not going to get any good forwards for the extras we have to trade. Maybe a draft pick in the 2nd at best. Hence, my thought that adding some muscle might be viable. otherwise, there is simply nothing expendable to trade. But go ahead, stick to your tired narrative and over valuing last year's loser team. whatever.

Your complaint about supressing discussion would carry more weight if the post you were responding to wasn't in direct response to a post that started with "(p)lease stop trying to .." and nearly closed with "(i)t's a loser philosophy to worry about that.". The latter of which demonstrated that you apparently didn't understand the prior discussion.

And, it is mildly humorous that you don't want Ristolainen traded because of his value and then respond a post or 2 later that the Sabres won't be able to get any good forwards because we're "over valuing last year's loser team.". (And a quick looking at the depth chart shows some excess good RHDs when Montour's hand has healed.)

Edited by Taro T

you his sister?

go ahead, attack any dissenting opinion, it makes for a great discussion board full of new ideas and new opinions.

you're not going to get any good forwards for the extras we have to trade. Maybe a draft pick in the 2nd at best. Hence, my thought that adding some muscle might be viable. otherwise, there is simply nothing expendable to trade. But go ahead, stick to your tired narrative and over valuing last year's loser team. whatever.

This is obnoxious.  

17 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And I would counter that Miller's physicality is nowhere near as impactful as Risto's.

Miller throws the hit to make a play.  But he can't send a message with it like Risto can.

Lol what? What message is risto sending? How come in 6 years of sending messages we've never gotten to the playoffs if his physicality matters?

If we trade Risto and get even softer than we already are I await your well though out explanations of why we falter in the second half of the season when teams tighten up and get more physical. Please be sure to include some colorful diagrams. 

Do you think that Milan Lucic is a good hockey player?

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Obviously the playoff thing is a red herring.  This is the same logic:  We've never been to the playoffs, so all Jack's goals don't matter.

People use the magical power of physicality in the playoffs as a red herring. All teams get more physical during playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

It seems to start much earlier than the playoffs, maybe around the All-Star break or at least the trade deadline.

It's almost as if the intensity increases as games that matter get played later into the season... I've almost forgotten what that's like, to be honest.

37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

wuh?

Playoffs are used as reason why we need to keep certain players and their physicality. 

24 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

It's almost as if the intensity increases as games that matter get played later into the season... I've almost forgotten what that's like, to be honest.

And it's almost as if teams can ramp up that aspect more so than suddenly being more talented. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Playoffs are used as reason why we need to keep certain players and their physicality. 

And it's almost as if teams can ramp up that aspect more so than suddenly being more talented. 

I know. And I agree.

Even you even said said that every team plays more physical in the playoffs. Doesn't it make sense to keep more physical players for the playoffs?

And that leads me to my next chicken or egg question. Do teams play more physical in the playoffs, or is it the more physical teams that make the playoffs?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

People use the magical power of physicality in the playoffs as a red herring. All teams get more physical during playoffs. 

That's pretty much the pro-Risto point:  Teams get more physical in the playoffs so you need someone to dish it out.

Just now, Doohickie said:

That's pretty much the pro-Risto point:  Teams get more physical in the playoffs so you need someone to dish it out.

McCabe, miller, Dahlin, all have a physical component. 

Okposo, jack, sam actually does if you watch, zemgus, angry Larry. 

There's players more than willing to play that style. I want talent. I'll worry about physicality when or if we make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

LGR:
cat chasing GIF

Not really. There's this false belief that risto makes us better in the playoffs because physical. Everyone gets more physical so we'll be fine. 

I need battle and compete not random hits and scrums after the play. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lucic or Reinhart? One is the epitome of physical play. The other is definitely not known for it. So that means the physical player is better, correct? That's the hypothesis here. 

If we’re talking players in their prime instead of one just reaching prime vs another thats over ripe, then yeah Looch ought to be getting alot of picks there.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lucic or Reinhart? One is the epitome of physical play. The other is definitely not known for it. So that means the physical player is better, correct? That's the hypothesis here. 

That’s not even close to the conversation here. Reinhart is inarguably good, Lucic is not. And you are positing their presence in a vacuum.

The conversation here is more “is this team right now better off in the playoffs with Ristolainen or Pilut in the lineup?” Two players with debatable effectiveness and very different levels of physicality.

• Like (+1) 1

The best case scenario is to have our own highly skilled players play with an edge and create their own space, not have to have a goon riding shotgun.  That said, I would like to see a defense group that can handle big opposing forwards and keep the front of the net clear.  Risto has the ability to do that....just don't see it enough. 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s not even close to the conversation here. Reinhart is inarguably good, Lucic is not. And you are positing their presence in a vacuum.

The conversation here is more “is this team right now better off in the playoffs with Ristolainen or Pilut in the lineup?” Two players with debatable effectiveness and very different levels of physicality.

No is this team better in the playoffs with Risto, montour, miller OR montour Miller, joki and another top 6 player

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

If we’re talking players in their prime instead of one just reaching prime vs another thats over ripe, then yeah Looch ought to be getting alot of picks there.

Why? Reinhart should be getting more picks. He's the better player. He was better last year than lucic ever has been or at least tied with his best. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It should be whether the team is better in the playoffs with Ristolainen and Sobotka or Jokiharju and Ehlers (or other actual legit top 6 F) because those are the likely roster adjustments come November when Montour becomes available.

Gut says Henri and Nik, but mainly because of Vlad and not so much because of Rasmus.  Were the other 1/2 of that Rodrigues or Thompson not as certain.

Thing is, Henri (who could be upgraded for some games to Bogosian as he presumably will be healthy sometime by 2020) & Nik probably are more likely to get them into the playoffs than Risto and Vlad and if they don't make the playoffs then the question is moot.

12 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

The best case scenario is to have our own highly skilled players play with an edge and create their own space, not have to have a goon riding shotgun.  That said, I would like to see a defense group that can handle big opposing forwards and keep the front of the net clear.  Risto has the ability to do that....just don't see it enough. 

Ability yes but I agree, he doesn't do it enough. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.