Sobotka and the 2nd line

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Haven't you heard? Botterill sucks at trading and is now gun shy about making another trade. 

He fired Phil and spent most of the summer fixing the defense so it didn't look like crap. He brought in 2 good coaches in Krueger and Andrew Allen. The ROR will always be abysmal but since that moment he has traded peanuts for good solid NHL players. 

AA is gone

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

Or the backup plan just worked out great!  Either way, I’m not complaining.

Also a possibility.  If it truly was his backup plan, he felt confident enough in it to "know when to hold 'em" regarding a trade for a 2C.  Everyone thought Risto would be on the next train, but he's stayed on and performed well.  With the logjam on D as players come off IR, he might still get traded, but his value hasn't been hurt by his performance so far.  And based on that performance, maybe JBot would be wise to keep him.  Not bad for a guy who sounded like he wanted out at the end of last year.

1 hour ago, ... said:

You're not understanding how RK does things. He's not whispering into Vlad's ear making him believe something.  RK is using players correctly.  Vlad can hang in the role RK has deployed him in because it's a part of Vlad's game.  The NHL defensive game, so far, was weak for Tage, so RK will not deploy Tage into a role where Tage's first priority is to be defensively responsible. 

Sobotka's defensive role was even greater last season, as a full-time center.  Now he's just a winger who hangs back.  He's just playing that role, as face-off get-off, and play hesitant while the other two work magic.  It's not like he's some world beater.

Anyway, to your point, I do agree.  Tage used to try to skate all the way up the ice himself, skate around the perimeter, and toe drag.  In pre-season he was causing havoc in front of the net, but not bouncing around like a pinball like Reinhart does.  Krueger probably isn't touching the lines really soon, but I see Tage call-up bringing him into the top line to replace Reinhart, and let Reinhart push down to be the defensively responsible primo passer for that second line:

Oloffson-Eichel-Thompson

Skinner-Johansson-Reinhart

Vesey-Mittelstadt-Sheary/Sobotka/Rodrigues

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

And this is assuming Risto stays put, which I doubt he's still here by Thanksgiving

Forward cap notes: Sheary, Vlad and Vesey are RFAs and unlikely to return.  They earn 8.775 and their replacements are already in the system in Cozens, Thompson (RFA) and Asplund.  Those three will earn about 2.7 total next year saving the Sabres about 6 mill.  That savings will be invested in RFA’s Reinhart (3.65) and Olofsson (.768). I suspect Sam doubles his salary and Vic gets a similar bridge deal that Sam received, maybe 3 years @ 4 per season.

The other UFAs Larsson and Girgensons.  It will be interesting to see Jbot’s willingness to stick with these guys, especially if their line continues to thrive and what their extensions look like.  Would 3 years and 2.25 per season work? 

Lazar, Mitts and Erod are also RFAs.  Mitts’ deal will be interesting but it’s not going to break the bank.  I also think as of right now Lazar steps into Erod’s role.

The money to pay for here raises is partly going to come from walking away from Bogo and Scandella.  They make a combined 9.143, but with Risto, Miller, McCabe, Joker, and Dahlin already under contract and Montour an RFA (3.388) neither is exactly needed. Pilut is also an RFA, Gilmour a UFA.  We also have Borgen under contract to step into the7th D role at only $.864

4 hours ago, ... said:

You're not understanding how RK does things. He's not whispering into Vlad's ear making him believe something.  RK is using players correctly.  Vlad can hang in the role RK has deployed him in because it's a part of Vlad's game.  The NHL defensive game, so far, was weak for Tage, so RK will not deploy Tage into a role where Tage's first priority is to be defensively responsible. 

There is a lot right with your post.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Forward cap notes: Sheary, Vlad and Vesey are RFAs and unlikely to return.  They earn 8.775 and their replacements are already in the system in Cozens, Thompson (RFA) and Asplund.  Those three will earn about 2.7 total next year saving the Sabres about 6 mill.  That savings will be invested in RFA’s Reinhart (3.65) and Olofsson (.768). I suspect Sam doubles his salary and Vic gets a similar bridge deal that Sam received, maybe 3 years @ 4 per season.

The other UFAs Larsson and Girgensons.  It will be interesting to see Jbot’s willingness to stick with these guys, especially if their line continues to thrive and what their extensions look like.  Would 3 years and 2.25 per season work? 

Lazar, Mitts and Erod are also RFAs.  Mitts’ deal will be interesting but it’s not going to break the bank.  I also think as of right now Lazar steps into Erod’s role.

The money to pay for here raises is partly going to come from walking away from Bogo and Scandella.  They make a combined 9.143, but with Risto, Miller, McCabe, Joker, and Dahlin already under contract and Montour an RFA (3.388) neither is exactly needed. Pilut is also an RFA, Gilmour a UFA.  We also have Borgen under contract to step into the7th D role at only $.864

I think Sheary, Vlad and Vesey are UFA, not RFA.

I think there is NFW that either Larsson or Zemgus gets a 3-year deal from the Sabres or anyone else.

As for Lazar, I don't think he can be penciled into an NHL role here as he hasn't played a regular-season minute with the team yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So RFK seems to like Sobotka.  Any chance the Sabres give him a (smaller) contract to return next year?

I can see him getting an offer.

Why can't he be our 13th forward? Be nice to have him right now when we've been bitten by the injury bug. Depth on a team is always important.

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So RFK seems to like Sobotka.  Any chance the Sabres give him a (smaller) contract to return next year?

I am assuming that Frolik is Sobotka's repalcement.  At least until the end of the season.  Men vs. boys and all that.  If Frolik does well I could see an offer to him f0or next season.

Frankly, I think we need the grizzled veteran presence.  Wouldn't mind another one too.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Zero point zero.  A player like Vlad maybe, but not him.  He is tainted with being part of a trade that Would only serve to remind JB of everyday.   He gone.   

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

He is tainted with being part of a trade that Would only serve to remind JB of everyday.   He gone.   

That's a very fan-centric view.  I don't think we really know if JBot recognizes the trade was a mistake or if he even feels responsible for it (if it was driven from higher up).

I'm not saying I want him back but it wouldn't totally surprise me.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's a very fan-centric view.  I don't think we really know if JBot recognizes the trade was a mistake or if he even feels responsible for it (if it was driven from higher up).

I'm not saying I want him back but it wouldn't totally surprise me.

God I hope that hindsight has provided him perspective about the trade.   Not fan-centric, human-nature centric.  No one wants be reminded of failures.  Other factors include does Vlad even want to come back, and other than face-offs he brings so very little to the table in terms of skill, size and speed.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.