Sobotka and the 2nd line

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1259329/2019/10/02/as-sabres-reveal-likely-opening-night-pairings-vladimir-sobotka-finds-dubious-spot-on-the-second-line/

While some here are having a heart attack about Vlad playing on our second line, Yerdon outlines some of the reasons why.  

“It was a look today, again, and we won’t be announcing who we’re playing until game day, but there’s no question that with Marcus back into the center position, with Vladimir there, it gives him some comfort. Also on faceoffs he’s got support and the way they can interchange within that unit also frees Jeff up to do the things that he’s good at,” Krueger said. “So both Vladimir and Marcus are outstanding in puck control and puck movement and we see that combination as a possible line.”

Yerdon quoting HCRK

Also Yerdon talks about how Vlad had some success against the Pens last season and that HCRK is looking to spread the offense out.

Color me not surprised that FO% played a key role in HCRK decision here for now.

PS.  I know that Vlad was arguably the worst forward in the NHL last season.  I'm curious where how other did coming off similar terrible seasons did the following year.

?

It's got to be trolling at this point. 

Edited by Thorny

I wish he was never in camp, but I think that he is a binky for Marcus.  The guy hasn’t played center in five or so years and probably welcomes a veteran presence so he doesn’t have to worry about covering for him.  Positionally Vlad is sound.  Got that hurts to type.  As Marcus gets more comfortable RK will have more options with line combos.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 3putt said:

I wish he was never in camp, but I think that he is a binky for Marcus.  The guy hasn’t played center in five or so years and probably welcomes a veteran presence so he doesn’t have to worry about covering for him.  Positionally Vlad is sound.  Got that hurts to type.  As Marcus gets more comfortable RK will have more options with line combos.  

That’s something to hope for.  That this is a temporary transitional tool to help Johansson.  Granted Sobotka isn’t a great defender either, but he probably could be considered positionally sound.  Hopefully it doesn’t last long.

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s something to hope for.  That this is a temporary transitional tool to help Johansson.  Granted Sobotka isn’t a great defender either, but he probably could be considered positionally sound.  Hopefully it doesn’t last long.

Yeah he is suboptimal on d but better be that covering a point than the front of the net.  

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Is it just me or does "Sobotka and the 2nd line" sound like a band?

What style would they play? 

kas23 was WAY ahead of you.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, kas23 said:

I remember, faintly, seeing Sobotka and the 2nd Liners in the mid-80s. Wasn’t impressed. They sucked. 

1 hour ago, 3putt said:

This kind of rationalization reminds me of people trying to mind merit in the ROR trade when it first happened.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This kind of rationalization reminds me of people trying to mind merit in the ROR trade when it first happened.

If you are insinuating that I was one such person then you are sadly mistaken.?.  There was no merit whatsoever in the trade when it happened and the Sabres are still trying to recover from it and its aftermath.  I do think a new coach trying a new guy at a key position may try to make that transition as tenable as possible.  Whistling by the graveyard?  Maybe, but I can see at least some rationale for the move.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No, no, no.  I wasn't insinuating you were. 

I was one of those guys though.

I was too, and that post reminded me of my rationalization, so I agree with you!   I tried to justify after hearing about Vlad.  Unless Ralph is Svengali reincarnated, it’s insane.  

One game in, I'll say this:  RFK took the pieces he had and made the best of them last night.  I think Sobotka will eventually be benched in favor of ERod, but in the meantime, I look at the fourth line with 3 breakaways and another good scoring chance or two last night and I think putting Okposo with Angry Larry and Girgs is a solid move.  Posters are saying the Okposo is done, washed up, but I think that, while a $6M fourth liner is a waste of cap space, if you're stuck with him, the 4th line is the best fit.  He adds more physicality to the line and also some offensive counterpunch potential which will keep other teams on their heals. 

So now you have to find a spot for Sobs in the middle 6.  I don't think putting him with Casey is a good idea at all.  Casey had a good game last night, but I don't think it happens if Boat Anchor Vlad is on his line.  Casey just doesn't have the wherewithal to pull Sobs along and still produce.  And remember most of our offense came from that line last night.

I'm still not crazy about him on the second line, but if you look at what moving him down does to the third and fourth lines, I think they don't work with Sobs on either one.  One could argue that the second line was subpar due to his presence, but putting him with two seasoned veterans is probably the right move.

It's like the team is a jigsaw puzzle and RFK is trying some pieces where XHCPH never thought of.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:54 PM, LGR4GM said:

I'm not over this. It's ***** atrocious. We're 3 days away and it appears our coaching staff thinks Sobotka, one of the worst 5v5 producers in the nhl, should be paired with Skinner. Either Krueger is playing a different game or this is a terrible idea. I think it's terrible.

Sobotka looked pretty good in game 1...just saying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One game in, I'll say this:  RFK took the pieces he had and made the best of them last night.  I think Sobotka will eventually be benched in favor of ERod, but in the meantime, I look at the fourth line with 3 breakaways and another good scoring chance or two last night and I think putting Okposo with Angry Larry and Girgs is a solid move.  Posters are saying the Okposo is done, washed up, but I think that, while a $6M fourth liner is a waste of cap space, if you're stuck with him, the 4th line is the best fit.  He adds more physicality to the line and also some offensive counterpunch potential which will keep other teams on their heals. 

So now you have to find a spot for Sobs in the middle 6.  I don't think putting him with Casey is a good idea at all.  Casey had a good game last night, but I don't think it happens if Boat Anchor Vlad is on his line.  Casey just doesn't have the wherewithal to pull Sobs along and still produce.  And remember most of our offense came from that line last night.

I'm still not crazy about him on the second line, but if you look at what moving him down does to the third and fourth lines, I think they don't work with Sobs on either one.  One could argue that the second line was subpar due to his presence, but putting him with two seasoned veterans is probably the right move.

It's like the team is a jigsaw puzzle and RFK is trying some pieces where XHCPH never thought of.

Or... you bench him. That solves all the problems. He's not good and doesn't belong in the lineup. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.