LeBrun: How Krueger plans to unlock the vast potential in Buffalo

dudacek

Apologies to those without a subscription, but this is a must-read in-depth piece on the state of the Sabres:

https://theathletic.com/1251953/2019/09/30/lebrun-how-ralph-krueger-plans-to-unlock-the-vast-potential-in-buffalo-when-many-before-have-failed/?article_source=related

Lebrun basically lays out what the team is trying to accomplish and endorses Botterill and Krueger.

Couple money quotes with a surprising degree of confidence of our talent level:

Botterill:

“You look at the younger players we have in the organization that are ready to step up and be a part of our group here, there should be an opportunity to be aggressive all over the ice. What we’ve tried to add on the back end is more puck-movers, we feel we have a fairly talented group of forwards, we want to get the puck up to them a little bit more and have an opportunity to play more in the offensive zone. I think that’s what you’re going to see from our group.’’

Krueger:

”It’s more the pressure without the puck is something we’d like teams to say we’re really good at doing as a unit of five. Really going for it all the time. Without risks that will hurt us and understanding that balance. Because we have offensive tools that are top of the league. I’ve definitely never coached a team this good, overall, when you look at the entire group. It’s exciting.’’

13 minutes ago, ... said:

Could we get some of the money lines quoted from the article? What Botterill and RK say are of no significance.

Most of the quotes are from Botterill and Krueger, so I assume you want Lebrun?

“His enthusiasm for hockey and life, in general, is infectious. You never end a conversation with him without having new ideas to ponder. But now comes a mighty test.

The Sabres have missed the playoffs for eight straight years. A passionate fan base is low on patience.

And while those fans have every right to be skeptical considering the organization’s results over the past decade, I have this bit of advice to offer: Underestimate Krueger at your peril.”

“A tip of the hat to Botterill who made the emboldened decision to hire Krueger when there were safer, conservative choices out there.

Instead of the single, Botterill went for the home run instead. It’s a bigger risk, it may not necessarily work out, but it tells me this is a third-year NHL GM who has decided the hell with being worried what people thought about him as a first-time GM, he’s going to do things his way –more than ever — and let the chips fall where they may.

“I said it then and I will it again, the Sabres made the right decision hiring Botterill as their GM.”

“It starts with his coach’s approach. I only needed to watch one practice last week to get a firm grasp of that. At the end of it, you could hear Krueger’s clear message to his players, how he liked what they did that day and why it’s unlike anything I normally hear at the end of NHL practices.”

“What I respect about Ristolainen is that by all accounts he’s been a good trooper and busted his ass off since the start of camp. He’s not letting whatever his future might hold affect his daily presence around the team. That’s the sign of a true pro.”

“Coaching in the NHL is about getting players to buy what you’re selling. Krueger’s biggest challenge is keeping Eichel invested in the plan. By all accounts, Eichel cares deeply, he wants to win badly. But the path to get there is where he may need guidance.”

“What’s unpredictable about teams trying to learn how to win is when, or if ever, it happens. It rarely happens in a smooth arc. There are twists and turns. Think about the long journeys for Washington and St. Louis — perennial contenders and playoff heartbreak for a decade or so — before finally winning it all.

It won’t fit into place right away. It may never come. But the potential is there.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“His enthusiasm for hockey and life, in general, is infectious. You never end a conversation with him without having new ideas to ponder. But now comes a mighty test.

The Sabres have missed the playoffs for eight straight years. A passionate fan base is low on patience.

And while those fans have every right to be skeptical considering the organization’s results over the past decade, I have this bit of advice to offer: Underestimate Krueger at your peril.”

That is interesting phrasing lol

And good on Risto. 

And Eichel will suddenly become a winner when he's on a roster that's a winning roster, and it'll be wonderful to finally stop hearing about how Jack wants to win but can't

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“A tip of the hat to Botterill who made the emboldened decision to hire Krueger when there were safer, conservative choices out there.

Instead of the single, Botterill went for the home run instead. It’s a bigger risk, it may not necessarily work out, but it tells me this is a third-year NHL GM who has decided the hell with being worried what people thought about him as a first-time GM, he’s going to do things his way –more than ever — and let the chips fall where they may.

“I said it then and I will it again, the Sabres made the right decision hiring Botterill as their GM.”

“It starts with his coach’s approach. I only needed to watch one practice last week to get a firm grasp of that. At the end of it, you could hear Krueger’s clear message to his players, how he liked what they did that day and why it’s unlike anything I normally hear at the end of NHL practices.”

“What I respect about Ristolainen is that by all accounts he’s been a good trooper and busted his ass off since the start of camp. He’s not letting whatever his future might hold affect his daily presence around the team. That’s the sign of a true pro.”

“Coaching in the NHL is about getting players to buy what you’re selling. Krueger’s biggest challenge is keeping Eichel invested in the plan. By all accounts, Eichel cares deeply, he wants to win badly. But the path to get there is where he may need guidance.”

“What’s unpredictable about teams trying to learn how to win is when, or if ever, it happens. It rarely happens in a smooth arc. There are twists and turns. Think about the long journeys for Washington and St. Louis — perennial contenders and playoff heartbreak for a decade or so — before finally winning it all.

It won’t fit into place right away. It may never come. But the potential is there.”

Krueger says all the right things and connected people rave about him. 

And then he goes and puts Sobotka on the 2nd scoring line. 

Soon enough we'll see if decisions like that make him an idiot savant or merely an idiot. ?

And somebody that's being pursued to take a CEO of hockey operations role (as implied in the article) but chooses instead to be a coach would seem to be one or the other.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That is interesting phrasing lol

And good on Risto. 

And Eichel will suddenly become a winner when he's on a roster that's a winning roster, and it'll be wonderful to finally stop hearing about how Jack wants to win but can't

The roster will suddenly become a winning roster when it has winner Eichel on it?

Chicken or egg.

Your view of Eichel, he of $10 million a year, is a dim one.

meh this isn't new sounding, just different wording. We've been told for a while we have all these talented forwards and yet, outside of the top line from last year, none of them can score. We added Johanson, and when healthy yes, he can score. Vesey is a reclamation project. Olofsson maybe but he's still unproven. Really, compared to good teams our forward group is far from impressive. move the puck up to them quicker? That sounds like Housley redux. How about keep it out of our net? 

We shall see. 

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The roster will suddenly become a winning roster when it has winner Eichel on it?

Chicken or egg.

McDavid might be the best player of all time and his team is complete garbage. One player doesn't matter on their own in hockey. 

Maybe Hasek.  

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Apologies to those without a subscription, but this is a must-read in-depth piece on the state of the Sabres:

https://theathletic.com/1251953/2019/09/30/lebrun-how-ralph-krueger-plans-to-unlock-the-vast-potential-in-buffalo-when-many-before-have-failed/?article_source=related

Lebrun basically lays out what the team is trying to accomplish and endorses Botterill and Krueger.

Couple money quotes with a surprising degree of confidence of our talent level:

Botterill:

“You look at the younger players we have in the organization that are ready to step up and be a part of our group here, there should be an opportunity to be aggressive all over the ice. What we’ve tried to add on the back end is more puck-movers, we feel we have a fairly talented group of forwards, we want to get the puck up to them a little bit more and have an opportunity to play more in the offensive zone. I think that’s what you’re going to see from our group.’’

Krueger:

”It’s more the pressure without the puck is something we’d like teams to say we’re really good at doing as a unit of five. Really going for it all the time. Without risks that will hurt us and understanding that balance. Because we have offensive tools that are top of the league. I’ve definitely never coached a team this good, overall, when you look at the entire group. It’s exciting.’’

This doesn't mean anything if Sobotka is on line 2. Still can't see that actually being the case, though. 

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What it tells me in actually is that Pegula has given Botterill a 5 year assurance. Everything about the apparent pacing of their timeline leads me to believe this.

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

McDavid might be the best player of all time and his team is complete garbage. One player doesn't matter. 

Then why lose on purpose to obtain one?

I'm sorry.  I couldn't let that pass without comment.  I'll show myself out now.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Then why lose on purpose to obtain one?

I'm sorry.  I couldn't let that pass without comment.  I'll show myself out now.

Beats me!

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Lebrun says 5-7 for draft-and-develop to fully bear fruit.

Yup. Which that Bourne article in the athletic laid out beautifully. 

Right strategy, wrong strategy, it's a moot point. The priority is job security for a GM. The longer the rebuild you can sell, the better. 

Botterill coming in after "guns blazing" Murray was the perfect recipe to sell such a plan to the owner, surely. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Chicken or egg.

The best player on the planet is on a team that finished right around where we did last year. 

And I've come to grips a while ago with the fact that Jack won't be a top 3-5 forward in the league on his career like we had hoped he could become. 

But he's already good enough to be the 1C on a team that can go deep if management is competent. It's the hardest box to check off, and it's checked off. I've moved on to sitting here wondering why the ***** we're doing what we're doing in just about every single other roster spot. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Beats me!

Yup. Which that Bourne article in the athletic laid out beautifully. 

Right strategy, wrong strategy, it's a moot point. The priority is job security for a GM. The longer the rebuild you can sell, the better. 

Botterill coming in after "guns blazing" Murray was the perfect recipe to sell such a plan to the owner, surely.

And sadly for us, the fans, we got GM extreme patience, followed by GM it will happen now, followed by GM patience.  Having 2 followed by 3 drags this out interminably when 2 fails.  It becomes even worse when 3 wants a different style / type of player than 2 wanted.  (We've gone through the hockey equivalent of swapping from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Yeah, this sure seems to possibly be another throwaway year.  Hoping that's just pessimism over the moves made to date actually having been made to ensure the largest available cap space this season rather than actually expecting Sobotka and Okposo to be key contributors.  But it sure doesn't feel like just pessimism at present.

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What it tells me in actually is that Pegula has given Botterill a 5 year assurance. Everything about the apparent pacing of their timeline leads me to believe this.

If there's not tangible improvement, I don't care what Pegula told him, Botterill isn't seeing 5 years. 

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Lebrun says 5-7 for draft-and-develop to fully bear fruit.

Good thing we weren't starting at ground zero then when Botterill took over. 

And seriously I don't get the obsession with Krueger's words. Find me a coach that comes in and says "We're going to play conservative, laid-back hockey and let the other team make fancy plays that result in goals." They all know what they're supposed to say. 

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The best player on the planet is on a team that finished right around where we did last year. 

And I've come to grips a while ago with the fact that Jack won't be a top 3-5 forward in the league on his career like we had hoped he could become. 

But he's already good enough to be the 1C on a team that can go deep if management is competent. It's the hardest box to check off, and it's checked off. I've moved on to sitting here wondering why the ***** we're doing what we're doing in just about every single other roster spot. 

Does Botterill's plan account for the fact that Jack is in his prime right now? The easiness with which we are apparently throwing away the prime years of our franchise C is troubling. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Franchise centre: Eichel

Franchise defence: Dahlin

Sniper: Skinner (Olofsson?)

Franchise goalie: (Lukkonen?)

2C: O’Reilly ? (Mittelstadt? Cozens?)

Glue guy: Reinhart

Power forward: (Cozens?)

Those are the core pieces right? Got a ways to go, but we’re ahead of some and we’ve got the hardest two.

Any optimism I feel comes from that.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And sadly for us, the fans, we got GM extreme patience, followed by GM it will happen now, followed by GM patience.  Having 2 followed by 3 drags this out interminably when 2 fails.  It becomes even worse when 3 wants a different style / type of player than 2 wanted.  (We've gone through the hockey equivalent of swapping from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

Yeah, this sure seems to possibly be another throwaway year.  Hoping that's just pessimism over the moves made to date actually having been made to ensure the largest available cap space this season rather than actually expecting Sobotka and Okposo to be key contributors.  But it sure doesn't feel like just pessimism at present.

It seems that way to me. With those in the know aware of the caveat that maybe we'll get an unexpected "Hey, we are ahead of schedule!" year. But I think that's just a hope, not the plan. 

As for what's after the bolded, I'm a little unclear of your phrasing. What would constitute the pessimism? The belief that this year was about maximizing cap space or the belief that those dregs could actually contribute?

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If there's not tangible improvement, I don't care what Pegula told him, Botterill isn't seeing 5 years. 

Good thing we weren't starting at ground zero then when Botterill took over. 

And seriously I don't get the obsession with Krueger's words. Find me a coach that comes in and says "We're going to play conservative, laid-back hockey and let the other team make fancy plays that result in goals." They all know what they're supposed to say. 

You still on the playoff bubble or bust mentality re: the GM this season? Just checking in. 

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Does Botterill's plan account for the fact that Jack is in his prime right now? The easiness with which we are apparently throwing away the prime years of our franchise C is troubling. 

Botterill came from an organization whose owner was the guy that was the prize for the "original tank" race in '85 who was on horrible teams until fairly shortly before their 1st Stanley Cup win in '92 in his 7th season.

That owner also dealt with all sorts of injuries and health problems but was still useful ~20 years after being drafted.  Pretty sure, sadly, that Botterill's fine with Eichel being a Lemieux or even a Pens Trottier or Francis to the Dahlins, Cozens, Mittelstadts, and Jokiharjus, and whomever else they draft this year in 3-4 years.

OUR not being ok with it really doesn't factor in; again, sadly.

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Botterill came from an organization whose owner was the guy that was the prize for the "original tank" race in '85 who was on horrible teams until fairly shortly before their 1st Stanley Cup win in '92 in his 7th season.

That owner also dealt with all sorts of injuries and health problems but was still useful ~20 years after being drafted.  Pretty sure, sadly, that Botterill's fine with Eichel being a Lemieux or even a Pens Grittier or Francis to the Dahlins, Cozens, Mittelstadts, and Jokiharjus, and whomever else they draft this year in 3-4 years.

OUR not being ok with it really doesn't factor in; again, sadly.

Botterill having the delusion that Eichel will be our Mario falls in line with his delusion that Eichel should elevate his line mates the same way Crosby does, true. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.