Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Whoa, that is either brilliant or stupid. I like Girard, but he could easily follow the Tyler Myers path.

I doubt we ever see Botterill make a deal like this.

This is exactly the type of deal I wish Reinhart had gotten. My feelings on this Avs deal line-up pretty well with this thread:

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Called it with the Vasilevskiy deal but again, once one deal happens they all start to domino 

Yikes.  What is Rasmus going to cost in a couple years?

Just now, Brawndo said:

I hope that Dahlin agrees to 8 years and does not follow the leads of Matthews and Aho and wants a five year deal.

If it is 5 years, both Dahlin and Eichel’s Contracts will expire at the same time.

That's my biggest worry. These RFA deals are starting to trend the NBA way, which is terrifying 

More dominoes are falling into place...Shattenkirk getting bought out by NYR.  Look for WPG to sweep in and grab him for maybe a $5 million over a couple of years.  This also means Risto may start the year with Buffalo.  If Bogo was not starting the year on the LTIR then I would trade Risto over the summer.  I feel Sabres need at least one of Risto or Bogo in line up for their physicality. 

(i.e. Chiarelli and Hextall)

14 hours ago, sweetlou said:

More dominoes are falling into place...Shattenkirk getting bought out by NYR.  Look for WPG to sweep in and grab him for maybe a $5 million over a couple of years.  This also means Risto may start the year with Buffalo.  If Bogo was not starting the year on the LTIR then I would trade Risto over the summer.  I feel Sabres need at least one of Risto or Bogo in line up for their physicality. 

I doubt Shattenkirk gets that money. All he can do is run a PP

Edited by WildCard

JBOT traded away some draft capital to get Miller and Vesey. A 2nd (STL) and a 3rd in 2021.  JBOT loves him some draft capital.. If we can't get a 2C for Risto, do you think any team would trade a 2nd and a 3 for Risto.  Obviously, they would need the cap space.  Then JBOT could sign Gardiner for Risto money.  That would net us Gardiner, a 2nd and a 3rd for Risto.  Realistic?

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If by 2nd and 3rd you mean 2nd line center and 3rd round pick, then let's do it 

Zero reason to give up Risto for picks, especially two picks after the first round

Yeah, you're probably right.  I was looking at it from a draft capital point of view.  Trading any of Larry, Girgs, Wilson, Elie, Scandella, E-Rod, etc are not going to get us better than a 4th rounder.  Risto would.  No team will trade a 1 for Risto, that's why I pitched a 2 and a 3.  I think JBOT wants to get his 3 rounders back (or better) somehow.

Just now, Tondas said:

Yeah, you're probably right.  I was looking at it from a draft capital point of view.  Trading any of Larry, Girgs, Wilson, Elie, Scandella, E-Rod, etc are not going to get us better than a 4th rounder.  Risto would.  No team will trade a 1 for Risto, that's why I pitched a 2 and a 3.  I think JBOT wants to get his 3 rounders back (or better) somehow.

I don't think Jason cares about a full draft slate - he's only made 18 selections in three drafts, when 21 is what you'd have if you had all of your picks

25 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I think any contending team with cap space would trade a first for Risto as soon as Botterill made the offer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think any contending team with cap space would trade a first for Risto as soon as Botterill made the offer.

Just curious @dudacek, but what would your draft choice(s) only ask be for Risto (at no retained salary)? 

Edited by Tondas

At least when it comes to the forwards, they all seem to want to wait and see what Marner signs for before committing to anything long term. The sense around the league is that Marner is going to get the biggest number. Part of that is his talent level and the numbers he put up last season, but there’s also the huge Auston Matthews contract and what happened with William Nylander’s situation last year. And an agent who’s known for difficult negotiations.

There has been talk for ages now about the Leafs’ making a max-term offer, some time ago, at eight years and more than $10-million a season. Giving away that many UFA years, however, was a no-go for the Marner camp. They apparently countered with three years at around a $10-million annual value, which would be the richest bridge deal in NHL history – by quite a bit. (Consider that Nikita Kucherov’s three-year bridge back in 2016 was for just under $4.8-million AAV.)

But it’s my understanding that the Leafs have been aggressive in trying to get this done to the point that they’re offering well north of all of those figures on the three-, six- and seven-year contracts [He is referencing Ian Tulloch's article which he projected ~7-9.5m on those terms]. And by aggressive I mean in the range of just under $9-million to roughly $11-million per season, depending on the term.

https://theathletic.com/1109845/2019/08/02/mirtle-where-the-mitch-marner-negotiations-are-at-and-why-theyre-holding-up-so-many-other-rfas/

Edited by WildCard

Just now, Eleven said:

We can laugh now, but when it's Dahlin's turn...

Yeah I'm terrified. I think a lot of what will go into Dahlin is Krueger and if we can start winning

Also, bias of course, but idk if Dahlin is they type of guy that wants to go from city to city to make a few million more; if we pay him and he likes it here I think he would sacrifice the extra couple million for stability and comfort