Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

1356585159_point2.thumb.png.106d78768e9e9c802a1c129538efbd6e.png

Let's compare to Marner's deal using the effective tax rates between Toronto and Florida.  I've also assumed that in year 2022 Point could be looking at a $15M AAV deal.  After three years under a third deal (assuming he resigns in a US state with no state tax, like Tampa), Point he exceeds the 6 year total of Marner's current deal.  And by a lot.    So I'm not going to declare this completely one-sided. 

Edited by Broken Ankles

13 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Let's compare to Marner's deal using the effective tax rates between Toronto and Florida.  I've also assumed that in year 2022 Point could be looking at a $15M AAV deal.  After three years under a third deal (assuming he resigns in a US state with no state tax, like Tampa), Point he exceeds the 6 year total of Marner's current deal.  And by a lot.    So I'm not going to declare this completely one-sided. 

How did you calculate that effective tax rate? Taxes are based on where you play each game, not where your team itself is located. Given that each team will play 41 homes games (mostly), the rest is still conference/division dependent; does Toronto play more games in more tax friendly cities does Tampa Bay is a tough question to answer

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How did you calculate that effective tax rate? Taxes are based on where you play each game, not where your team itself is located. Given that each team will play 41 homes games (mostly), the rest is still conference/division dependent; does Toronto play more games in more tax friendly cities does Tampa Bay is a tough question to answer

It’s even more complex than that. Federal taxes are the same in every State.

States have different rates, yes. Some States have a “jock tax” to which you refer. This tax is different from State to State, as well as being figured differently in those States.

Some will count travel days to the State, practice time, and the game plus any time spent in the State before leaving. Others, just the game day.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

These are standard Income tax rates for high wage earners.  Found on multiple sites in a Google search for effective tax rate.    Also note that just b/c TB plays 41 road games, does not imply 1/2 of their salary is subject to that local tax rate.  Players aren’t limited to federal, state, and city income taxes though, as they also face jock taxes – but these aren’t resident taxes, rather they are specifically designed to tax visiting workers. NHL players owe taxes in a number of states they visit and even some cities.

Players aren’t limited to federal, state, and city income taxes though, as they also face jock taxes – but these aren’t resident taxes, rather they are specifically designed to tax visiting workers. NHL players owe taxes in a number of states they visit and even some cities.

Non-resident taxes have been levied in a number of states for years. After the 1991 NBA Final between the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, taxation of visiting athletes trended upwards and became a revenue stream for states and cities. These non-resident taxes in the United States and Canada aren’t limited to just athletes, but to the staff traveling with the teams throughout the season as well. Essentially, any non-resident workers that perform work from which they earn income are subject to these taxes.

Most states measure duty days to determine when these visiting athletes should be taxed. This includes practice days, along with game days, that are spent in that state (and city depending on whether that city levies a jock tax as well). To determine the duty days spent in each visiting state, the work days spent in the visiting state are divided by the number of workdays in a season, from preseason through the postseason.  

Illinois only taxes visiting athletes if their home state taxes Illinois athletes when they play away games – so the Stars don’t owe the state of Illinois a jock tax when in Chicago because the Blackhawks aren’t taxed by the state of Texas.

Edited by Broken Ankles

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I mean, I would respect the hell out of that. It's just unusual.

I don’t believe that it’s unusual at all. Everyone on that roster has taken a bridge deal and everyone in the NHL (likely) dreamed of winning a Cup far longer than they dreamed of a $10m+ deal. Not to mention he’s going to earn a larger contract because of the bridge. 

I think Tampa has been very clever the last few years when doing there contracts.  You want money, show me over a period of time and then we will award you.  Don't have one or two good years and think you are going to be rewarded right away.  They don't have a single bad contract on their team. 

Again teams hold all the cards when it comes to RFA's.  Teams need to give the bridge deals to these young guys coming off their ELC. They must hold onto to that in order to continuously have competitive teams. I wish more owners and GM's would do this.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s true that TB has gotten a more than normal number of good bridge deals done.  They have however, committed a good chunk of money and NTC’s on long term deals to 2nd/3rd line players, as well as a massive 9.5M, 8 yr contract to their goalie.  It’s not all roses, even if a lot of it is.

It would actually make more sense to me if Point and Vasilevskiy switched contracts.

Also: Ryan McDonugh for 7 more yrs at 6.75 with a NTC.  Yucky

Edited by Curt

59 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think Tampa has been very clever the last few years when doing there contracts.  You want money, show me over a period of time and then we will award you.  Don't have one or two good years and think you are going to be rewarded right away.  They don't have a single bad contract on their team. 

Again teams hold all the cards when it comes to RFA's.  Teams need to give the bridge deals to these young guys coming off their ELC. They must hold onto to that in order to continuously have competitive teams. I wish more owners and GM's would do this.

They don’t have albatross contracts but they have a lot of money tied up in 2nd line players and NMCs that will make expansion drafts hurt. And everyone knew a 32nd team was coming soon. 

10 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I'm pretty sure you pay taxes to the state/province you are playing in.

For example, the Jets are playing the Sabres so the Jets players pay NY taxes.

This is how I understand it anyway.

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

In NYS, yes; in other states, it depends.  See Chz's post upthread.

Actually now that I think of it, it is pretty complicated.  The company I work for keeps track of travel time and for certain states if you live (not work, live, as in stay overnight) there 30 days and then you have to pay taxes (I'm pretty sure it's the state where you're staying, not where you're working.  So if they stay in Virginia when playing the Capitals, they have to worry about VA income tax implications.)

Edited by Doohickie

The tax thing is going to factor into the team's argument for a contract, but I'm not sure why the player's ultimately are willing to take that discount.  People always want more, it's basic human nature.  If I can get $10 million, I still want that number with or without the different tax rates.  I can understand a player here or there acceping the lower salary because it helps to build a better team, but to get every single guy to sign up for that?  I have no idea how you can manage to get that many people on the same page.

I'm a bit surprised that every single elite player on that team doesn't have a no trade or no movement clause.

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

Not sure if you saw the follow up post of this...

Most states measure duty days to determine when these visiting athletes should be taxed. This includes practice days, along with game days, that are spent in that state (and city depending on whether that city levies a jock tax as well). To determine the duty days spent in each visiting state, the work days spent in the visiting state are divided by the number of workdays in a season, from preseason through the postseason.  

So Tampa plays Buffalo once in NYS, so as long as they depart that evening, Players are subject to roughly .37% of their income (which is 1 day divided by the total season of 270 days) at the NYS state income tax level.   Based on Points AAV that equates to less than $2,000, or insignificant. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Faulk signs a seven year extension for 6.5 AAV as well

If anything that should boost the likelihood & quality of return for Ristolainen as St. Louis didn't seem to be a destination for him. (Really hoping Botterill still has a a bad taste in his mouth from the last time he did business with Armstrong.).   And now Faulk is off the market.