Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Big Buff update of sorts:

"health-wise, everything is good for him and his family." That's great to hear at least. I wonder if he is just thinking about stepping out and retiring. 

I sure hope not. Trouba, Buff and Myers was our right side last season. I was expecting Poolman to make the third pair this year but holy, this isn't good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Morrissey - Pionk
Kulikov - xxx
Beaulieu - xxx
Poolman, Niku, Heinola, Luke Green, Bitetto fighting for the x's. 

You're absolutely right. They're going to be desperate 

They should be desperate now.

They consider themselves contenders and their 3-4-5 guys are a guy who barely made the Rangers and two who couldn’t make the Sabres? Ouch.

If the Leafs don’t win this year, or if one of their big three falls short of elite, they are ***** for the next 6 years.

When Hyman returns in November, they will be $2.25 over the cap.  They now have to do something before that...bottom line is that I hope they choke in the playoffs again this year.  Boston always seems to take care of business, but Tampa better be there as a back-up this time if needed.  Another first round exit might be the end for Babcock.  I can only hope.  I wish it was the Sabres that would be their kryptonite but reality is that I hope we get in as a wild card at best.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, repster said:

When Hyman returns in November, they will be $2.25 over the cap.  They now have to do something before that...bottom line is that I hope they choke in the playoffs again this year.  Boston always seems to take care of business, but Tampa better be there as a back-up this time if needed.  Another first round exit might be the end for Babcock.  I can only hope.  I wish it was the Sabres that would be their kryptonite but reality is that I hope we get in as a wild card at best.

I thought once Hyman was broken, there was no fixing that.               <Hey, give me a break, I'm preparing for the regular season just like everyone else.>

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Botterill should be on the phone trying to trade for Point or trying to get him to sign an offer sheet at 8.4million. Actually I'd go up to 10.5 on an offer sheet. 

Sadly we don't have our 3rd round pick. 

This is why I don't like Botterill's offseason. I think if he had capspace, he could make a trade with Tampa, instead he spent his capspace until he ran out.

I've been thinking about how the cap affects what I call the development sine wave. Before the cap, when you're good (at the top of the sine wave), you trade your futures to increase you present value, which inevitably leads to having a bad team (the bottom of the sine wave) 5 years out. With a cap, Tampa will be trading some of their present for futures to fit under their cap, thus making them better in 5 years, so eliminating the development sine wave. Does this make any sense?

• Like (+1) 3

Sounds like Laine is headed to Switzerland to train while he doesn't have a contract.

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

How does Spurgeon compare to Reinhart? I am expecting Sam to sign for a higher AAV than that. 

I was going to say it's very hard to compare a 29yo defenseman to a 23/24 yo forward, but when I think about it, Spurgeon is basically the Reinhart of defensemen. Forgettable to the rest of the league, quietly very good.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sounds like Laine is headed to Switzerland to train while he doesn't have a contract.

I was going to say it's very hard to compare a 29yo defenseman to a 23/24 yo forward, but when I think about it, Spurgeon is basically the Reinhart of defensemen. Forgettable to the rest of the league, quietly very good.

I’m not sure why I was thinking he was a center. Now I’m not sure who it is I’m confusing him with.