Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Ah, got it.  I read the French version as Montreal management saying that if the kids are all right in the head, they don't need Pommer.  This is an even more optimistic approach.  It's smart.

I used Google Translate and was confused by the translation 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He's a Leafs fan, right? 

Not actually sure. His account is a weird combination of deep-dive numbers, and taking shots at teams in the pursuit of, I can only imagine, humour. There's no one he takes more shots at than Buffalo. He's the type of person who saves tweets that are in opposition to his viewpoints then retweets them en masse once he think he's been proven right. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not actually sure. His account is a weird combination of deep-dive numbers, and taking shots at teams in the pursuit of, I can only imagine, humour. There's no one he takes more shots at than Buffalo. He's the type of person who saves tweets that are in opposition to his viewpoints then retweets them en masse once he think he's been proven right. 

Probably because we look so consistently bad on his corsica.hockey site 

The tweet just made me snort which is why I shared it (though Ottawa's comment definitely should have been "They're a team") but based on what you're telling me i'm not gonna give him a follow lol

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Probably because we look so consistently bad on his corsica.hockey site 

The tweet just made me snort which is why I shared it (though Ottawa's comment definitely should have been "They're a team") but based on what you're telling me i'm not gonna give him a follow lol

No I get the Sabres have been bad thing. But him posting the numbers that confirm that isn't what I mean by "shots". He's a douche. 

He doesn't let his bias get in the way of his analysis, and I'm not claiming his numbers aren't good stuff. But there's plenty of non-numbers related content where he's outright hostile towards Sabres fans. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No I get the Sabres have been bad thing. But him posting the numbers that confirm that isn't what I mean by "shots". He's a douche. 

He doesn't let his bias get in the way of his analysis, and I'm not claiming his numbers aren't good stuff. But there's plenty of non-numbers related content where he's outright hostile towards Sabres fans. 

I wouldn't even call those his numbers, I think he just organizes and presents stats that already exist? Unless he built the WAR/GAR stuff I've never looked at on his site. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He loved the Cozens Pick. His model had him third overall in the draft. Other than that, he hates the Sabres with unbridled passion particularly Mittlestadt. 

Ya the Cozens thing is true and I'm sure likes he Dahlin and stuff because everyone does, and I'm not even sure if he really hates Mittelstadt, he was just really firm in his predictions for him last year and he certainly wasn't optimistic with them. But he's pretty passionate about him so you could be right there. 

But to me like I said it's more all the other, not really even hockey stuff, comments he makes the Sabres fans' way. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Ya the Cozens thing is true and I'm sure likes he Dahlin and stuff because everyone does, and I'm not even sure if he really hates Mittelstadt, he was just really firm in his predictions for him last year and he certainly wasn't optimistic with them. But he's pretty passionate about him so you could be right there. 

But to me like I said it's more all the other, not really even hockey stuff, comments he makes the Sabres fans' way. 

My guess is he does this because Sabres fans who follow him intensely push back against what the numbers say. Only to, ya know be comically incorrect. On this very forum, every year since the tank, we have collectively rationalized why all of the numbers-based predictions are going to be wrong. Only for them to be right. I'd imagine it's tiring to be on the receiving end of this when you out a lot of work into it. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Zack Werenski Signs 3 year 15 Million Extension with Columbus 

Does this signing have any effect on Dahlin who can sign an extension next summer.  Werenski put up 47, 37, and 44 pts in first three years in league.  It all depends on how big of strides Dahlin takes this year.  I would love to see him extend for 8 years at 9 million, or bridge two years at 6 million and sign long term after that.

33 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Does this signing have any effect on Dahlin who can sign an extension next summer.  Werenski put up 47, 37, and 44 pts in first three years in league.  It all depends on how big of strides Dahlin takes this year.  I would love to see him extend for 8 years at 9 million, or bridge two years at 6 million and sign long term after that.

Pretty much all the D signings recently imply that D are still less respected than forwards that can pot goals.

The dream of Dahlin for 8 years at $10-11/yr isn't dead.  (Liger's likely protestations to the contrary not withstanding. ? )

Some of these signings actually make that seem to be a bit too high. ?

Defenceman Jake Gardiner reportedly turned down a three-year, $15.75-million contract, with an average annual value of $5.25 million, from the Habs in early July, according to La Presse’s Alexandre Pratt.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-jake-gardiner-rejected-three-year-15-75m-deal-canadiens/

Shilling for the Athletic again, but this is an outstanding read about Geno Malkin:

https://theathletic.com/1192049/2019/09/10/evgeni-malkin-trade-rumors-penguins-moscow-russia-hockey/

Not intended as a knock on Yerdon and Vogl, but I wish the Sabres writers were producing more material like this.

• Like (+1) 1