Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

53 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm amazed you've gone this long without knowing that honestly lol

I did. It was a joke because he barely played for them, and I really doubt it played a factor in a Terry as fanboi thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The reason I admire the Wings for hiring Yzerman has nothing to with his being a former player for them. I admire them because they brought into the fold someone who in his first season as GM got the Lightning into the conference finals one year after they missed the playoffs, took them to the Cup final (after which he won GM of the Year), got them back to the conference final last year and all along built a team that would go into the history books for regular season wins this season. And he was GM of Team Canada in the world tournament and executive director for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and 2014. His history as a player was way, way down the list of why he was hired.

Botterill? I'll go with Smell and revise my comment and go with —former Sabre and Penguin at the helm. Of course to believe Terry the biggest thing Jason has going for him is that he's the only three-time World Junior gold medal winner on God's green earth.

And thanks. Your mind is a bottomless pit of fascination as well.

But in fairness, nor did you fault the Wings for hiring a former player (whereas you did fault the Sabres for doing so).

I'm resigned to Terry having poor decision making skills and/or having no ability to effectively communicate the basis for a decision.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

No offense PA, but it's really hard for me to admire a team that hired who is likely the best GM in the sport, or at the very least a top 3 guy at his job. There's no admiration coming from me for making a very easy decision

This is a fair point. Yzerman came home. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The reason I admire the Wings for hiring Yzerman has nothing to with his being a former player for them. I admire them because they brought into the fold someone who in his first season as GM got the Lightning into the conference finals one year after they missed the playoffs, took them to the Cup final (after which he won GM of the Year), got them back to the conference final last year and all along built a team that would go into the history books for regular season wins this season. And he was GM of Team Canada in the world tournament and executive director for Canada in the Olympics in 2010 and 2014. His history as a player was way, way down the list of why he was hired.

Botterill? I'll go with Smell and revise my comment and go with —former Sabre and Penguin at the helm. Of course to believe Terry the biggest thing Jason has going for him is that he's the only three-time World Junior gold medal winner on God's green earth.

And thanks. Your mind is a bottomless pit of fascination as well.

But you cannot condemn the Sabres for hiring a former player in one breath and expnerate the Wings for doing so in the next.  If there is a problem with Botterill, it has nothing to do with the 40 games he played here.

And I suspect I could keep an analyst busy for quite some time.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But you cannot condemn the Sabres for hiring a former player in one breath and expnerate the Wings for doing so in the next.  If there is a problem with Botterill, it has nothing to do with the 40 games he played here.

And I suspect I could keep an analyst busy for quite some time.

No, you're right.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:09 PM, dudacek said:

As opposed to giving him away? Or is he saying there will be a sizable return? Opinions on Risto's value on the internet are so all over the map.

In my view, Risto fills TB's hole created by the looming departures of Stralman, Girardi and Coburn. Plus he's better than all three and adds needed grit.

Palat and Miller for Risto and Nylander appeal to anyone? I'd be hesitant in include Nylander unless they were also adding a youngster.

It's going to be a bit annoying trading him to Tampa, with that team being that good. His numbers (at least on the surface) are going to look great and we'll hear about it. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Let’s see...Yzerman, Holland, Julien, Cassidy, Babcock, Dubas, Cooper, Brisebois, Quenville...

Thank god for Ottawa, eh?

Seriously, our best (only) course of action is to pray most of these guys are past their prime and that Botterill is at the vanguard of the new generation and the guy he is poised to hire is the same.

There's definitely good reason to believe that Botterill is at the very least "different". His drafting style proves that, for one. 

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

that’s a pretty normal age for a successful musician to start

Agreed.   His bio suggests he left school at 15 to play professionally in Vancouver.   I would think 5 years is barely enough to become so proficient that he was paid to play in clubs.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, Thorny said:

It's going to be a bit annoying trading him to Tampa, with that team being that good. His numbers (at least on the surface) are going to look great and we'll hear about it. 

I doubt it. For example, Jack Johnson has been on some really good teams, yet his individual numbers were still really bad

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, Broken Ankles said:

Agreed.   His bio suggests he left school at 15 to play professionally in Vancouver.   I would think 5 years is barely enough to become so proficient that he was paid to play in clubs.

Stevie Winwood started at 15...  lot of front men especially do start early... kids playing instruments get discovered earlier and often start playing in clubs early especially if a parent is a musician.  My cousin Chris started around that age.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:06 PM, JJFIVEOH said:

Forgot about Capuano. I guess he wouldn't be a bad second option. He would certainly be better than any rookie coaches. 

certainly. no chance a rookie coach could ever have success.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:29 PM, Taro T said:

Not necessarily.  He NEVER during that entire song states in which year the events described occured. ?

well-played.

i'll add: even if dude was properly reminiscing back on a summer of '69 in which he was merely 9 years old, i'd call BS on him having nostalgic thoughts about such times. because he'd only having been fookin' nine years old.

like, he was standing on some girl's momma's porch, exchanging pledges of fidelity, when he was nine years old? really?

On 4/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

I doubt it. For example, Jack Johnson has been on some really good teams, yet his individual numbers were still really bad

now, jack johnson is another story. yeah, not even born until 1975 - but plenty groovy and chilled out to have memories of the summer of '69.