Final Roster Cuts

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No. Doreen has strep throat. It wouldn't kill you to spend a little more time in the break room. There's a giant card, but I'm sure you'll be too busy vaping behind the dumpster to sign it.

This reminds me of a Jim Gaffigan bit.

It's Bill's birthday, today.

"I hate that guy".

There's cake in the conference room.

"Well, I should say hello".

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t understand this worry over Sobotka being on the second line to start the season.  It’s not a sign that HCRK is a bad coach, if it happens, it’s just a sign of a coach searching for player/line chemistry and maybe a player that has earned an opportunity based on his work in pre-season.

It’s not like Sobotka hasn’t played good hockey in the NHL.  In 2017/18 he skated 17 minutes a game, won 54% of his faceoffs, laid 127 hits, put up 10 even strength goals, was +7 in TK/GV and scored over 30 pts.  That’s not the stat line of a bad hockey player.  

No question he was terrible last year and deserves some of the board’s skepticism, but this is really over the top.  HCRK sees him everyday in camp, knows his current attitude and see the chemistry he has with other players.  If the coach wants to give him a shot so be it.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t understand this worry over Sobotka being on the second line to start the season.  It’s not a sign that HCRK is a bad coach, if it happens, it’s just a sign of a coach searching for player/line chemistry and maybe a player that has earned an opportunity based on his work in pre-season.

It’s not like Sobotka hasn’t played good hockey in the NHL.  In 2017/18 he skated 17 minutes a game, won 54% of his faceoffs, laid 127 hits, put up 10 even strength goals, was +7 in TK/GV and scored over 30 pts.  That’s not the stat line of a bad hockey player.  

No question he was terrible last year and deserves some of the board’s skepticism, but this is really over the top.  HCRK sees him everyday in camp, knows his current attitude and see the chemistry he has with other players.  If the coach wants to give him a shot so be it.  

***** he has

The stuff I bolded has no impact on you being a good hockey player. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No question he was terrible last year and deserves some of the board’s skepticism, but this is really over the top.  HCRK sees him everyday in camp, knows his current attitude and see the chemistry he has with out players.  If the coach wants to give him a shot so be it.  

It's actually better than the best season of forum darling Evan Rodrigues. 

Can Sobotka do it again? Hope so...

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

It's actually better than the best season of forum darling Evan Rodrigues. 

Can Sobotka do it again? Hope so...

Hey quick question for you... when was the last time Evan Rodrgues was given 17minutes a night? So you are arguing that Sobotka at 32 is going to be better than Erod at 26 based off of a season Sobotka had 2 years ago where he scored 2 more goals than Erod while playing an extra minute a night. Fan*****ingtastic. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Let's do more comparisons with Erod and Sobotka. Sobotka last season, 44.1% corsi while starting in the defensive zone 67.5% of the time at 5v5. People love pointing to his faceoff skills though so they should be winning the faceoffs and exiting the zone right? 

Erod, 51.3% corsi, while starting 59% of the time in the defensive zone. And yet I am supposed to believe that Sobotka is better? Hard pass. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You do realize that "the new set of eyes" is Chris Taylor, right?  Or does Krueger bar his assistants from the practices?

If he's making gameday decisions by putting more weight on practice than on actual game results, then his will be a rocky tenure.

Do you really think that promoting Sobotka to the 2nd line over several others that are better in actual games was necessary so he "won't lose the locker room?". In what way does that keep the dressing room on Krueger's side more than giving the boys their best chance at W's?

This team appears to need every W they can get to have any chance of sneaking into the playoffs.  Wasting a handful of games to show that RK wasn't mean to a declining skills vet will lose the room quicker than winning without Sobotka will do.

Over on the Bills side of the Pegula empire, the room wasn't lost by releasing McCoy.  Sobotka is no McCoy.

And we still don't know for certain, that Vlad is 2RW.  So, hopefully, this is all moot.

The difference between this situation and McCoy, is that Sobotka doesn't have Singletary behind him ready to go.  Krueger wants a defensive minded winger to be with Skinner/Johansson, so that those two can focus more on taking chances.  We all know that Sobotka abandons the offensive zone as soon as the puck leaves his teammate's stick, and provides that role.  The guys sitting in the ranks at RW are:  Thompson (toe drag much?), Rodrigues (played absolutely awful and is a risky player too), Lazar (4th liner at best), and.... nobody!  He's trying to form chemistry with a hole in the depth chart.

If Rodrigues can get over his stint, or Thompson shows he can be responsible, I'm sure they'll be quick to take Sobotka's spot if he fails to show up.  But so far in camp, he hasn't done anything glaring bad yet.

Unless we waiver wire, I bet Sobotka starts at 2RW.  I wouldn't expect it to last, or god forbid, he performs a miracle and makes Sobotka useful.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's do more comparisons with Erod and Sobotka. Sobotka last season, 44.1% corsi while starting in the defensive zone 67.5% of the time at 5v5. People love pointing to his faceoff skills though so they should be winning the faceoffs and exiting the zone right? 

Erod, 51.3% corsi, while starting 59% of the time in the defensive zone. And yet I am supposed to believe that Sobotka is better? Hard pass. 

Trust me, I'm a huge Rodrigues fan, always have been, but he played like TRASH pre-season.  He's earned the pine he's sitting on.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hey quick question for you... when was the last time Evan Rodrgues was given 17minutes a night? So you are arguing that Sobotka at 32 is going to be better than Erod at 26 based off of a season Sobotka had 2 years ago where he scored 2 more goals than Erod while playing an extra minute a night. Fan*****ingtastic. 

Probably when he centered Skinner and Reinhart in January for two games and was kept completely off the score sheet.

Look, I blame a lot of last season on Housley. I'm optimistic about this year. If Sobotka's awfulness last year was largely due to usage, I wouldn't be surprised.

Part of me is worried, as well. But I play devils advocate for now on this topic, out of optimism. I hope you know it's not personal.

Edited by erickompositör72
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Probably when he centered Skinner and Reinhart in January for two games and was kept completely off the score sheet.

Look, I blame a lot of last season on Housley. I'm optimistic about this year. If Sobotka's awfulness last year was largely due to usage, I wouldn't be surprised.

Part of me is worried, as well. But I play devils advocate for now on this topic, out of optimism. I hope you know it's not personal.

Ik.

Sob was bad in St Louis the year before as well. He isn't going to get better. He is what he is. 

10 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The difference between this situation and McCoy, is that Sobotka doesn't have Singletary behind him ready to go.  Krueger wants a defensive minded winger to be with Skinner/Johansson, so that those two can focus more on taking chances.  We all know that Sobotka abandons the offensive zone as soon as the puck leaves his teammate's stick, and provides that role. The guys sitting in the ranks at RW are:  Thompson (toe drag much?), Rodrigues (played absolutely awful and is a risky player too), Lazar (4th liner at best), and.... nobody!  He's trying to form chemistry with a hole in the depth chart.

If Rodrigues can get over his stint, or Thompson shows he can be responsible, I'm sure they'll be quick to take Sobotka's spot if he fails to show up.  But so far in camp, he hasn't done anything glaring bad yet.

Unless we waiver wire, I bet Sobotka starts at 2RW.  I wouldn't expect it to last, or god forbid, he performs a miracle and makes Sobotka useful.

Trust me, I'm a huge Rodrigues fan, always have been, but he played like TRASH pre-season.  He's earned the pine he's sitting on.

No, sadly he doesn't do that.  It SEEMS he does because, well watch his play, you'll see why you believe that.  But no, he doesn't go on D the instant it looks like his linemates might need some forecheck in help.  It just seems that way because his support is minimal.

16 minutes ago, ... said:

Well, let's put it this way, feeling ashamed is too good for you right now. 

Good thing i don't feel ashamed,... certainly about not having a baby over Sobotka on the 2nd line. Given the mileage on that line, it's not like they are even going to be on the ice all that much compared to the other lines anyway.

Just as a friendly reminder though, Krueger is notorious for keeping lines together through struggles.  He values building chemistry through adversity more than shaking things up.  This was the overwhelming gripe Oilers fans had, and Krueger is self-aware about the criticism.  Don't expect to see much line disco this year at all.

Edited by triumph_communes

I'll just leave this here....

2018-19 TRpm

BUF Jeff Skinner            14.20
BUF Zach Bogosian            8.15
BUF Casey Nelson             6.48
BUF Jake McCabe              6.45
BUF Nathan Beaulieu          5.12
BUF Sam Reinhart             4.53
BUF Jason Pominville         4.51
BUF Evan Rodrigues           3.94
BUF Jack Eichel              3.71
BUF Rasmus Dahlin            3.21
BUF Johan Larsson            1.76
BUF Kyle Okposo              1.05
BUF Brandon Montour          0.07
BUF Zemgus Girgensons       -1.83
BUF Patrik Berglund         -2.19
BUF Marco Scandella         -2.62
BUF Lawrence Pilut          -2.63
BUF Conor Sheary            -7.34
BUF Casey Mittelstadt       -9.32
BUF Vladimir Sobotka       -10.85
BUF Tage Thompson          -14.63
BUF Rasmus Ristolainen     -23.04

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

I'll just leave this here....

2018-19 TRpm

BUF Jeff Skinner            14.20
BUF Zach Bogosian            8.15
BUF Casey Nelson             6.48
BUF Jake McCabe              6.45
BUF Nathan Beaulieu          5.12
BUF Sam Reinhart             4.53
BUF Jason Pominville         4.51
BUF Evan Rodrigues           3.94
BUF Jack Eichel              3.71
BUF Rasmus Dahlin            3.21
BUF Johan Larsson            1.76
BUF Kyle Okposo              1.05
BUF Brandon Montour          0.07
BUF Zemgus Girgensons       -1.83
BUF Patrik Berglund         -2.19
BUF Marco Scandella         -2.62
BUF Lawrence Pilut          -2.63
BUF Conor Sheary            -7.34
BUF Casey Mittelstadt       -9.32
BUF Vladimir Sobotka       -10.85
BUF Tage Thompson          -14.63
BUF Rasmus Ristolainen     -23.04

If a stat has Zach Bogosian, Casey Nelson and Nathan Beaulieu up high, it's a crappy stat.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

If a stat has Zach Bogosian, Casey Nelson and Nathan Beaulieu up high, it's a crappy stat.

I want to be the 1st one to confirm that the St Louis Blues will again be bad in the first half of the season because.....they play 7 games on Wednesday's and the stats show that Wednesday's are ROR's worst days.

They will come back in second half, as they play no Wednesday games after Jan. 15th.

Bet your house on it!!!!

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.