Final Roster Cuts

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Having Okposo on the roster doesn't save cap $'s, but if Bogosian is going to BF-LTIR (along w/ Hunwick) and they can fit this entire roster under the cap (which they have to do before invoking BF-LTIR) by having Kyle's cap hit on the roster rather than say Thompson, the Sabres effectively have a larger cap than they would if it were the other way around.

While a guy is on BF-LTIR, the team can exceed the cap essentially by how much that player's cap hit being added to the team cap would cause the team to exceed the cap.  Huh? In English please.  Certainly.  For ease of calculations, let's assume with everybody still up, the Sabres are $1MM below the cap.  And let's say Bogosian gets a cap hit @5MM.  So by placing his $5MM on BF-LTIR, the Sabres effective cap is now $4MM over the cap. (Original cap -  cap space available at time guy went on BF-LTIR + player cap hit.). Had Thompson been up and Okposo down and if Okposo 's contract is $4MM more than Thompsons, then putting Bogosian on BF-LTIR gains no cap relief because the team would still be within the cap with his on BF-LTIR.

It's essentially the reason the Loafs traded to get Clarkson 's cap hit back to get the full usage of BF-LTIR cap relief as with his contract the Loafs are very tight to the cap but wouldn't be without it.

Or, stated another way, whatever your team's total cap hit is at the time you place a guy on BF-LTIR is the amount of cap space your team can use while that guy is on BF-LTIR.  (If you're $1 MM below cap including his salary, your new cap not including his salary is $1MM below the league wide cap.)

Man I hate this stuff haha.

I guess my question is, why didn't they wave the guy that was probably the worst forward to play in any of the preseason games

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Man I hate this stuff haha.

I guess my question is, why didn't they wave the guy that was probably the worst forward to play in any of the preseason games

The likely real reason: Krueger liked his game we enough to keep him as the 12th forward especially based on how that line played last season.

The reason we can hope for: Because his contract being on the high side allows them to be as close to a full cap hit prior to placing Bogosian &  Hunwick on BF-LTIR as possible thus giving them as much cap space as possible this entire season.  (Not exactly, but close enough for government work: as long as Hunwick is BF-LTIR, the cap hit today is the Sabres effective cap for the season.). We'll know it was the case if Okposo gets waived tomorrow and a cheaper player is recalled.

IMHO, the answer is it's a little of both.

Edited by Taro T

Just now, darksabre said:

It would be something to note if he isn't wearing an A on opening night.

He won't be.  Reinhart will get his A.  The more interesting question is will Miller wear the "D's A" or will that go to Ristolainen.  And does Montour or Bogosian get it when they're healthy.  (I'm guesting it ends up Miller's.)

My 2 cents:

- Nelson is JAG who is an acceptable depth player in case of injury but not good enough to dress every night.  His failure to jump in when Eichel got cheap-shotted last year continues to be completely unacceptable.  I wouldn't mind keeping him in Rochester in case of emergency, but I won't care if someone claims him. 

- Gilmour and Joker both have much higher upside than Nelson (and are also both really fast -- maybe the 2 fastest defensemen they have).  It will be good for Joker to have to compete with Gilmour for PT, and for not being the one to get sent down when Montour, Bogo or Pilut returns.

- TT did look better in preseason, but I am fine with making him prove it in Rochester for the first month or so of the season and not bringing him up until he's ready to explode.

- I didn't really expect them to send Mitts down, but was kinda hoping they would.  I think he needs it.

- I do not expect them to waive KO this year.

- I think there is a good chance that @dudacek is right about them keeping a spot open in order to claim someone from waivers. 

I really find it hard to believe that Mitts earned a spot over Tage if "earning a spot" was the intention. 

This has a GM-meddling written all over it.

Mitts, KO, and the rest who shouldn't be on the regular roster.

Either RK has failed to assert his dominance or he's allowed himself to be fooled.

The only positive out of this is that Tage will get the experience he needs.  It also will make him looked better, potentially making him a throw-in for a Risto trade.

Just now, inkman said:

I don't see whatever is giving you the surprised face emoji. He's just not good. 

I didn't think he was that bad, but with the injuries, Joki not really showing much and him having some experience I was a little surprised but really, nothing done today was really that big a deal. 

We got our team, this was all just nibbling around the edges. Time for regular season to begin. 

14 minutes ago, ... said:

I really find it hard to believe that Mitts earned a spot over Tage if "earning a spot" was the intention. 

This has a GM-meddling written all over it.

Mitts, KO, and the rest who shouldn't be on the regular roster.

Either RK has failed to assert his dominance or he's allowed himself to be fooled.

The only positive out of this is that Tage will get the experience he needs.  It also will make him looked better, potentially making him a throw-in for a Risto trade.

Ralph made it pretty clear that he would be discussing Casey’s role with Botterill, so this isn’t far-fetched. That said, the simplest explanation for keeping him up remains the best one, IMO. He’s one of our four best centres.

My Hot Take of the morning: Tage Asplund and Elie will plunder and pillage the AHL this year and the first two will be back in Buffalo to stay by the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Sprong should be claimed immediately.

Ho-Sang for free is interesting but I don't like him.

Sprong is being waived by the Ducks. Think about that.

Do Not Want.

Just now, dudacek said:

Ralph made it pretty clear that he would be discussing Casey’s role with Botterill, so this isn’t far-fetched. That said, the simplest explanation for keeping him up remains the best one, IMO. He’s one of our four best centres.

No he's not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

So Jack, MoJo, Larry... possible Erod... but that is pushing it and not from a talent standpoint but from a consistency deal.

I blame Botterill.

h22EEBF70

Just now, erickompositör72 said:

I understand the sentiment, but I think ERod and (current) Mitts are both two sides of the same borderline-NHL'er coin. Mitts has more upside, so they're throwing him (keeping him, rather) in the fire.

Mitts desperately needs AHL time.  ERod does not.

• Haha (+1) 1

I am big on Sprong, both his 19th year (in the Q) and his 20th year (AHL) he scored more than more than a few prospects who became players. While it's true that last year sucked, for me it's not a close call. First is what I get for the past 10 years of the best Q 19 year old forwards:

1 NICOLAS DESCHAMPS 1698 
2 VITALI ABRAMOV 1623 
3 DANIEL SPRONG 1504 
4 MAXIME COMTOIS 1429 
5 CHARLES HUDON 1335 
6 DMITRIJ JASKIN 1325 
7 IVAN CHEKHOVICH 1234 
8 LUKE ADAM 1167 
9 MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO 1155 
10 MATHIEU JOSEPH 1103 
11 MIKE HOFFMAN 1103

Next is what I get for the past 10 years of the best AHL 20 year old forwards.

1 JOSH BAILEY  2819 
2 NIKITA KUCHEROV  2318 
3 RYAN STROME  2214 
4 LOGAN COUTURE  2110 
5 JACK ROSLOVIC  1870 
6 CHRIS TIERNEY  1672 
7 DRAKE BATHERSON  1597 
8 J.T. MILLER  1557 
9 DANIEL SPRONG  1520 
10 LUKE ADAM AHL 1488

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

So they sent down more than they had to, there is a roster spot open.

Is this simply a cap savings move, or are they going to put in a waiver claim?

According to NHL Numbers the team is ~$1.5MM over the cap at present.  If that's correct, then don't be surprised to see Jokiharju and Olofsson waived (temporarily) right before rosters are "set" with the Sabres then having ~$200k in cap space prior to BF-LTIRing Bothwell Hunwick &  Bogosian.  As soon as they are on the LTIR list, the other 2 can be brought back up again.  And the Sabres effective cap would be ~$82.9MM.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

According to NHL Numbers the team is ~$1.5MM over the cap at present.  If that's correct, then don't be surprised to see Jokiharju and Olofsson waived (temporarily) right before rosters are "set" with the Sabres then having ~$200k in cap space prior to BF-LTIRing Bothwell Hunwick &  Bogosian.  As soon as they are on the LTIR list, the other 2 can be brought back up again.  And the Sabres effective cap would be ~$82.9MM.

I think I finally get it now. But why do they make the process that way? To keep it from being wildly abused by forcing the "overage" to clear waivers?

A couple of thoughts.  Pilut was eligible to be sent down as long as he was “healthy.”  A waiver exempt player like Joker or Thompson being returned to the AHL or sent down is not being “waived”.  

All this doesn’t really matter except a few games as better players return from injuries and other things happen.  Every season about 35 different guys will suit up for the Sabres for various reasons and I’ll wager that the end of season roster and even the most common roster over the season will look substantially different then opening night.

I’m happy for Gilmour and very surprised Lazar got waived.  I thought he earned an opportunity. Moving on from Nelson makes sense as he never really established himself as more then a 7/8 D and with the additions of Joker, Miller and Montour plus the eventual return of Bogo he didn’t really have a slot.

I got poo poo’d in the lineup about Sobotka’s FO ability as a reason they may have kept him.  If he really is going to start with MoJo and Skinner, that skill in the O Zine may end up being important. They may have given him the edge over Lazar.  

Thompson is going to dominate in the A and could pull a Pommers and be a shot on the arm for the team when he forces a recall.

I think there is nearly a week until opening night.  I wouldn’t rule out a trade or a waiver claim if the right player comes along. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.