Final Roster Cuts

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

He was so much better than Kyle. Everyone was, even Sobotka. 

So they'd actually save some small amount of cap dollars?

Is the only REAL thing preventing it, then, the fact that he's a vet and a good soldier and all of the misfortune surrounding his situation?

They get like, 1.125mil in cap or something like that. It's not much, but it might be helpful.

I think the reason he hasn't been waived is that they want to let him lose his job in the regular season. There might be some veteran respect stuff going on there.

Perhaps they're holding out to see if he'll retire voluntarily.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They get like, 1.125mil in cap or something like that. It's not much, but it might be helpful.

I think the reason he hasn't been waived is that they want to let him lose his job in the regular season. There might be some veteran respect stuff going on there.

Perhaps they're holding out to see if he'll retire voluntarily.

I think they are keeping him because of the old veteran leadership cliche. 

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

There's coach speak and then there's contracts.    Okposo stays because TT doesn't need to clear waivers.    

Okposo would clear waivers and if not we should all celebrate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Get claimed? They are running him on the 2nd line they aren't even going to waive him but instead promoted him. It's a ***** joke. 

Let's see what lines look like at the Wednesday skate.  I still think it could be a feint to pump him up a bit before they waive him, hoping that another team will pick him up.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I think they are keeping him because of the old veteran leadership cliche. 

I mean, he's an Assistant Captain, right? That probably counts for something in the room. I think a "players coach" like Krueger might see some value in letting Kyle have 5-6 games of regular season before making the final call.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So they sent down more than they had to, there is a roster spot open.

Is this simply a cap savings move, or are they going to put in a waiver claim?

Probably allows them to think about a claim without having to then waive someone else. 

What are their numbers of players? 

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I mean, he's an Assistant Captain, right? That probably counts for something in the room. I think a "players coach" like Krueger might see some value in letting Kyle have 5-6 games of regular season before making the final call.

I think they will make him the 4th line RW and give him pp2 time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Probably allows them to think about a claim without having to then waive someone else. 

What are their numbers of players? 

One extra D, one extra forward.

Freeman nailed it upthread, although I hope it’s not ERod sitting.

Maybe Montour is close, too?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So it's:

VO-Eichel-Reino

Skinner-MoJo-Sobotka

Vesey-Mitts-Sheary

Zemgus-Larsson-KO

Extra:  ERod

Dahlin-Miller

Risto-McCabe

Scandy-Joker

Extra:  Gilmour

IR:  Bogo, Montour

Right?

I think the players are right, idk about the final slotting of them. 

Daniel Sprong is on waivers and would have been a Penguins draft pick under Botts. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jokiharju over Nelson is surprising to me for reasons listed up-thread.

Im not surprised by Tage given the way Ralph used him. but I do think he deserved a spot over some who made it.

Which is weird, because I didn't even think Joki was very good in the prospect tournament, much less preseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Moulson wasn’t waived until Mid-October correct? 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He was so much better than Kyle. Everyone was, even Sobotka. 

So they'd actually save some small amount of cap dollars?

Is the only REAL thing preventing it, then, the fact that he's a vet and a good soldier and all of the misfortune surrounding his situation?

Having Okposo on the roster doesn't save cap $'s, but if Bogosian is going to BF-LTIR (along w/ Hunwick) and they can fit this entire roster under the cap (which they have to do before invoking BF-LTIR) by having Kyle's cap hit on the roster rather than say Thompson, the Sabres effectively have a larger cap than they would if it were the other way around.

While a guy is on BF-LTIR, the team can exceed the cap essentially by how much that player's cap hit being added to the team cap would cause the team to exceed the cap.  Huh? In English please.  Certainly.  For ease of calculations, let's assume with everybody still up, the Sabres are $1MM below the cap.  And let's say Bogosian gets a cap hit @5MM.  So by placing his $5MM on BF-LTIR, the Sabres effective cap is now $4MM over the cap. (Original cap -  cap space available at time guy went on BF-LTIR + player cap hit.). Had Thompson been up and Okposo down and if Okposo 's contract is $4MM more than Thompsons, then putting Bogosian on BF-LTIR gains no cap relief because the team would still be within the cap with his on BF-LTIR.

It's essentially the reason the Loafs traded to get Clarkson 's cap hit back to get the full usage of BF-LTIR cap relief as with his contract the Loafs are very tight to the cap but wouldn't be without it.

Or, stated another way, whatever your team's total cap hit is at the time you place a guy on BF-LTIR is the amount of cap space your team can use while that guy is on BF-LTIR.  (If you're $1 MM below cap including his salary, your new cap not including his salary is $1MM below the league wide cap.)

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

He WAS an Alternate.  He wasn't wearing the A in this preseason though several others did wear it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.