Victor Olofsson: How good can he be?

dudacek

We were an offensively challenged team last year (and for many years) with few goal scorers in the line up. I'm not sure VO will hold up to physicality against him and he MIGHT be a defensive liability (not sure on that) but we desperately need goal scoring so for now his presence should be a major upgrade.

As for the Skinner-Jack line thing I think the idea of splitting them might make sense and certainly creates more balance. Sam likes to go to the net and pick up the rebounds but so does Skinner. Jack carries the puck and can make plays but Johanson is also a good passer/playmaker. Both lines could work. Skinner's numbers might drop a little but if the team total is higher............

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

Rob Ray is an idiot. VO has 25 goal potential this season and has a ceiling of around 30 through his career. He does a lot of other things well, but he’s going to be a pure goal scorer. 

Agreed 100%... if his conditioning holds up.  I'm not saying he's out of shape, but it's his first year in the league and it's a long grueling season.  Just ask Casey. 

7 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Agreed 100%... if his conditioning holds up.  I'm not saying he's out of shape, but it's his first year in the league and it's a long grueling season.  Just ask Casey. 

Casey came out of college. Victor has played multiple shl seasons and AHL. They aren't the same.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Casey came out of college. Victor has played multiple shl seasons and AHL. They aren't the same.

Agreed.  VO is much more prepared than Casey could have ever been.  But the SHL plays 52 games a season, and the AHL plays 76.  The AHL schedule is definitely the closest to the NHL, but the compete level is nowhere near the same.  

VO's going to have ups and downs during the season and it wouldn't be surprising to see him come off that first line at some point if he struggles.  If that happens it will be interesting to see how he responds, and how he does playing with other forwards.   People have been talking about him as a only a sniper, but that's really the only role he's been asked to play so far.  I'm not sure what his ceiling is yet, or what type of player he could be, but I'm looking forward to watching him and trying to get a read on it

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah. Like I'm talking player growth from moment drafted to final product while in the "possession" of the organization. I don't mean to claim he's as good as those players listed.

You mean didn’t develop in the NHL.  Eichel has certainly developed while in the organization.  Reinhart also.  They just were to good for the AHL and therefore developed in the NHL.  We’ll see similar development from Dahlin as well. 

UPL might just steal that monicker.  It’s also an indictment of our organization that we haven’t developed anyone since Vanek, Miller, Pommers and Roy, except Olofsson and McCabe.  (Is he better then Sekera?).

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You mean didn’t develop in the NHL.  Eichel has certainly developed while in the organization.  Reinhart also.  They just were to good for the AHL and therefore developed in the NHL.  We’ll see similar development from Dahlin as well. 

UPL might just steal that monicker.  It’s also an indictment of our organization that we haven’t developed anyone since Vanek, Miller, Pommers and Roy, except Olofsson and McCabe.  (Is he better then Sekera?).

Well I don't think Reinhart/Eichel/Dahlin's growth from year one to now is quite as large as the growth of Olofsson from 2014 to what I expect him to be this year. Which will be incorrect if he falls short of where I think he'll be, but I anticipate him being a very, very good NHLer this year

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think Victor is the best hockey player to be developed by the organization since (at least) Jason Pominville.

Not counting 1st or 2nd overall picks, right?

Edit: ok, I read further down.  I understand you.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Well I don't think Reinhart/Eichel/Dahlin's growth from year one to now is quite as large as the growth of Olofsson from 2014 to what I expect him to be this year. Which will be incorrect if he falls short of where I think he'll be, but I anticipate him being a very, very good NHLer this year

Honestly think Reinhart's growth would be pretty close. Reinhart's actual ceiling seems to have trended up over the last couple years. 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think Victor is the best hockey player to be developed by the organization since (at least) Jason Pominville.

I don’t disagree with this, but it’s worth noting that VOs skill as a hockey player was never in question.  His shot was heralded prior to his draft, he was just tiny at a time where that wasn’t looked over as much. He’s grown significantly post-draft and had he been anywhere near the size he is now he wouldn’t have fallen as he did. 

47 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I think the SHL developed Victor Olofsson and the Sabres had 0 to do with it to be honest. But, I get the point, by leaving him alone, that helped.

Every in-depth thing I’ve read or watched about Sabres prospects leads me to believe their staff is in constant contact with their prospects and actively involved in their development on and off the ice.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.