Victor Olofsson: How good can he be?

dudacek

Rob Ray on WGR for the 2nd day on a row being skeptical about Victor Olofsson.

Says he loves his shot, but he hasn't seen him "playing the rest of the game" other than taking advantage of the great work of Sam and Jack. Basically, he doubts Victor will be able to contribute further down the lineup and he hasn't earned the spot on the first line. He's not convinced Victor has made the team.

Craig Rivet countering that he can skate and move the puck well enough, and slotting him on line one creates depth down the lineup.

What say you guys? What do you expect from Victor?

I haven't watched enough to have a take.

With respect to the radio content, I infer that the people on the show have to take up contrary positions in order to ... make content.

The guy's a sniper, from what I hear. That alone means he should be playing with Eichel, at least to start. Then we'll see if the line can be a net positive (or whether they'll end up conceding more chances than they generate).

On 2nd line, I expect him to be low 20's, probably 22.

If he stays with Eichel & Reinhart, I expect him to pot 30.  Question becomes, will those 8 goals (plus how ever many helpers he gets that Skinner wouldn't by being a better set up man) be greater than the total # Skinner is down by being on the 2nd line?

I expect Skinner to get 40 if with Eichel all year and about 32 on his own.  So, I'd be willing to start the year with Olofsson on that top line.

Reino's passes will find his stick, and we shall cry Goalofsson many times. 12 goals on primary assists from Reinhart alone. That's right -- VO and Reino will rule the galaxy as father winger and winger. I think Olofsson nets anywhere from 24-40 this year depending on health and Skinner's productivity.

If Skinner-MoJo-whomever can be an effective line, then VO-Eichel-Reinhart will be excellent. Jack creates the space, Victor finds the seams, and Samson threads the needles.

If we need Skinner-Eichel together to keep Skinner at a 30-ish pace, then VO goes down to the lower end of the spectrum, but Reino will find him anyway (PP or Reino also to the 2nd to balance the attack). Reino wants his assists, not excuses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think we’ll know exactly what VO will become long term, once he plays in the NHL for a full season. Even though he’s not a “younger” prospect, that doesn’t mean he’s done developing and learning once he’s full time on an NHL team. The talent is there. I’m curious to see what he’ll look like in April, and contrast that with October.

20 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Reino's passes will find his stick, and we shall cry Goalofsson many times. 12 goals on primary assists from Reinhart alone. That's right -- VO and Reino will rule the galaxy as father winger and winger. I think Olofsson nets anywhere from 24-40 this year depending on health and Skinner's productivity.

If Skinner-MoJo-whomever can be an effective line, then VO-Eichel-Reinhart will be excellent. Jack creates the space, Victor finds the seams, and Samson threads the needles.

If we need Skinner-Eichel together to keep Skinner at a 30-ish pace, then VO goes down to the lower end of the spectrum, but Reino will find him anyway (PP or Reino also to the 2nd to balance the attack). Reino wants his assists, not excuses.

I think this could be true, and for that reason, I hope they give this a shot:

Skinner - Eichel - ______

VO - Johansson - Reinhart

Remember, Skinner was on pace early in the year for 50+. I don't think that magic happens again without him and Eichel together.

But I'm curious to see both combinations in actual games.

• Like (+1) 2

I have loved VO for many years now. I am beyond excited to see him get his shot. Idk what he will do with it but I would hope for 30goal and 30assists. 

Side thought, Skinner might have more room to operate on the 2nd line with Johansson and (?) because other teams will be focusing on Eichel's line. 

• Like (+1) 1

He is not going to be your main forechecker on a line.  Neither is Skinner.  If you have a balanced line-up, he is a good fit.  He would struggle with linemates who can't dig out the puck.  The latter point I think is what Ray is getting at, but saying he doesn't make the team or have a fit is taking that a wee bit too far I'd say.  Right now he's paired with Eichel, who is a great forechecker and passer.  It's not like he's some huge liability.  There's a myth out there that any guy with stone hands is some defensive stalwart while anyone with hands is some liability, but I see none of that in VO's game.  He's no power forward, nor speedster, but he doesn't have to be to contribute.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Rob Ray on WGR for the 2nd day on a row being skeptical about Victor Olofsson.

Says he loves his shot, but he hasn't seen him "playing the rest of the game" other than taking advantage of the great work of Sam and Jack. Basically, he doubts Victor will be able to contribute further down the lineup and he hasn't earned the spot on the first line. He's not convinced Victor has made the team.

Craig Rivet countering that he can skate and move the puck well enough, and slotting him on line one creates depth down the lineup.

What say you guys? What do you expect from Victor?

Did Ray ever see Mike Bossy skate or play D?  Ray Shepard?  Those guys never played a 200 ft game.  They kept Bossy with Trottier and he scored almost 600 goals.  Goal scorers are born, not made.  If he's just OK in our end, I'm OK with that.  I think 25 to 30 goals is reasonable.

Edited by Tondas

His shot does appear to be elite. Let's see how he does when the league sees what he's good at and what he's weak at. We need goal scorers so I'm hoping he earns his first line status. He and Cozens are the new guys in town so they're both HOF worthy while all our other young pups suck and need to be sent to Ra Cha Cha. Lets hope he earns his stripes.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

A lot will depend on how well Skinner plays with someone other than Jack. If Skinner is a dud on his own, that's going to be a bummer, even if Goalofsson kills it 

• Like (+1) 2

Yep.  You can’t each that shot and playing with Eichel has fit like a glove in the few games to end last season and now picking up right where it left off in, albeit preseason.  Give him pp1 ice time (I think sabres power play will be top half of the league) and he’s going to score a lot of goals.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.