GDT: Preseason Blue Jackets @ Sabres, 9/25/2019, 7pm est, MSG WGR

LGR4GM

Moving on to the second goal. Blame Dahlin, blame Oloffson, I don't care, but the Eichel line needs to have less goals scored against them, that why I like the idea of a defensive forward with Eichel.

Third goal, Scandella makes 2 mistakes, and 24 puts another one in, I wish the Sabres had a guy like that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ... said:

I love how the pom-pom holders will try and discount everything in preseason games because they're preseason games.  You mean to say you expect these guys to instantly shift gears in a week when the regular season starts?  These guys have had all summer to work on their game, do you really think their individual games will improve over the next week?  That's not how it works.  It's a slow climb from now through January to those other gears.  

What you're seeing is essentially how we will start the season, with the addition of another week of practice and a solidified roster. There's no reason to think otherwise. 

And, FWIW, Mitts looked like hot garbage out there.  Shooting wide, missing open nets, passes to no one.  I don't know what other people are looking at, but the dude needs to go down for the season.

Should we expect these guys to shift gears for regular season?  Yeah, of course.  Sure the bubble players and guys looking to move up a line or get some PP/PK time are going to givr 100% in preseason, but half the team is just working on timing and not getting injured.  It’s  similar to the Sabres games in Feb-March.  Fans talk about players ending the season strong, but by then the Sabres are seeing the other teams back-up goalie 50% of the time. All I’m saying is pre-season is not a true reflection of a teams potential.  It’s a chance to get up to game speed, evaluate your depth, and identify development plans for players.

I agree on Middlestat looking not very good out there.  I don’t think Skinner or Tage looked great either though.  

But Risto looked fantastic, and Sobotka looked really fast.  I still don’t think Sobotka has a role on this team when Larry gets back, but I don’t think we should be in any rush to move Risto unless we get a true top 4 forward.  His contract terms make him valuable to almost any team out there.

This game was disappointing. They looked disinterested for long stretches and that just reminds of their play last year. The crappy players played crappy as usual. Mitts needs Rochester. I am sorry but Cozens plays better NHL hockey than Mitts. 

Sobotka should be waived immediately he was awful all night. 

Tage was decent, not great but better. I would be curious to see him up the lineup.

While Jack was mediocre most of the night, Sam Reinhart was Samtastic. He looks quicker, his instincts are beautiful, and his passing sublime. 

Vesey played? Huh. 

Erod and Johansson had some chemistry going. Once Skinner decided he wanted to play that line started to have some chances. I think Johansson has been better than advertised which is nice but still only preseason. Erod is close to what I want him to be but I want more from him. 

Scandella... just... wtf. 

Gilmour had some good moments

Agree on Jokiharju, I thought tonight was one of his worst games as he just seemed a little to cavalier with the puck. 

Dahlin was quiet tonight.

Risto was okay. I didn't think he was good or bad. 

Hutton... should probably be the backup. 

Krueger has some decisions to make and until he proves he isn't another coach in love with mediocre vets I am going to be very skeptical. I don't take his post game comments at face value.  I hope he pushes them more in practice because almost losing to the Columbus B team is a pathetic. 

Edited by LGR4GM
sp
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, rakish said:

Moving on to the second goal. Blame Dahlin, blame Oloffson, I don't care, but the Eichel line needs to have less goals scored against them, that why I like the idea of a defensive forward with Eichel.

Third goal, Scandella makes 2 mistakes, and 24 puts another one in, I wish the Sabres had a guy like that.

What were the two mistakes, other than an unlucky bounce off the lip of the dasher?

Risto was his usual self.  Makes some good plays, but the second CBJ goal was entirely on him.   He had the puck with time to move it to an open Dahlin behind the net, then inexplicably turns back into the CBJ player, turning the puck over, then lets Anderson skate unmolested to the net front for an easy dunk.   Those brain cramps are why he's on the block.

Scandella needs to go too, he's just terrible now.  The game has gotten considerably faster just in the last 3-4 years and some guys just haven't been able to adjust.   A guy like Gilmour is more effective just because his speed allows him to cover up mistakes.  Neither Risto nor Scandella have that ability.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Do we really miss Nathan Gerbe that much?

Anyone that misses a 5'4" completely feckless player who gets treated like a dad treats his son playing one on one basketball holding the ball above his head as the kid jumps harmlessly and two feet below where the ball rests in his dad's arms, needs to go root for another team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.