GDT: Preseason Blue Jackets @ Sabres, 9/25/2019, 7pm est, MSG WGR

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's true and it really saddens me. I like okposo

We all like Okposo. Well, most people like Okposo. By all counts he's a good player and a good person. He battles endlessly and defends his teammates (it still scares me whenever he grapples because of the concussion history). He's what you want. But professional sports are games of replacement and when you lose your step, you have to be very crafty to keep going. And when you lose multiple steps... craftiness won't hide you. If he's not game speed, he's got to move on (or be moved on from). It'll happen to us all... except those of us in survival suits who have lots of fake limbs and a Brand that won't let us stay at rest from a previous trilogy.

Sobotka had a nice pass in the 1st, got his balls washed by Ray for a play on the PK where he couldn't win a battle on the boards which left the BJ's in control of the puck.  Came close enough to winning a board battle to allow the puck to roll to a spot Girgensons could win a board battle resulting in Thompson 's goal.  Hopefully Larsson heals up soon.

After that he was the land offense / scoring chances for went to die.

Thompson played well.  If Sheary can't go soon, he could get the 3RW slot on Thursday.

Maybe let Okposo play 4RW, but would prefer him in the press box.  Mittelstadt had  another slow start, but picked up late in the 1st and played well in the 2nd & 3rd.  Had he had an actual RW, might have set up 2 great tic-tac-toe plays (the 1st off a nice backcheck and then head Manning to Vesey to send Okposo on a partial break & the second to move the puck from the corner to Vesey in front to Kyle alone on the far side).  Oh, well, it was a good effort.

Johansson and Rodrigues seem to be in sync together.  Not sure that Skinner meshes yet.  But could see Olofsson staying with Eichel & Reinhart.   At least for a couple of games.  And, yes, it's true.  Reinhart looks quicker.

Until Scandella 's major brain fart, Jokiharju seemed to be the most disappointing D-man tonight.  But Marco stole that from him promptly.

Thought Dahlin had a very strong game, 1 center ice turnover not withstanding.

Fun OT, but they should never have been there.  Probably revising my expectation from 88 down to 84.

• Like (+1) 1

Mittelstadt is starting to come out.  Nice to see.  I'm not too worried about him, especially if at 3C instead of 4C minutes this year.

Thompson has spark, he deserves promotion to top-9 minutes for now.

Oloffson is top-6 material on his shot alone.

Skinner started the game lazy, ended the game causing the havoc he enjoys.  Chemistry with the different linemates will come.

I like Johansson a lot.  If he can stay at center, even better.

Vesey went back to being invisible.  Not bad, but invisible.

Eichel started lazy too, but finished fine.  It's pre-season and he's a star, I get it.

Okposo is done.  4th line or bench for him.

Gilmour came to play.  He's earned the 7th spot at minimum to my eyes.

Scandella is toast.  Gilmour probably has passed him honestly.

Jokiharju did a lot of stupid things with the puck today.  Not his best showing.  He's definitely good enough for the NHL, but he has a lot to learn.

I liked Miller.

I saw nothing bad out of Ristolainen.  Maybe reduced minutes really is all the difference.

Overall, the players are just playing hockey, not going through the motions of some dingbats system.  Tons of puck fumbling, but they haven't played like this in years, and its the guys who have played elsewhere that are better on the puck at the moment.  This type of play will require some time for the chemistry to develop.  They're at least taking shots now, even if not the best, and making stuff happen.

Hope they can keep it up against better competition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

-Mitts looks improved. After last season, I had my doubts, but he looks like he’s moving along positively again. 

-Joki doesn’t look like what was advertised. Needs some work. 

-Sobotka...useless to this team, and probably useless for the Amerks too. 

-Olaf is an NHLer. He finds the areas to be open, and as we’ve all discussed ad nauseaum, his shot is ridiculous. If he’s kept with Eich and Samson, he’s a clear candidate for ROY, and we can drool over how many goals he might score. 

-YAY FOR GERBE!

-Risto isn’t needed on this team. If he can fetch a positive return, flip him. Otherwise, keep him for now. 

-Our tendies need to be better than what we’ve seen. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Theres been a lot of positives posted in here about the game, but i think we're forgetting that we played mostly our opening night lineup in the 5th pre-season game while most of the CBJ was their AHL club. Kreuger tried to give the guys a pass by saying well they started poor but atleast they found a way to win... i'm not so sure. It looked like a tough fought victory that took overtime to get it done on home ice against a team with more then half of them won't be on NHL ice come next Wednesday.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Briere48 said:

Theres been a lot of positives posted in here about the game, but i think we're forgetting that we played mostly our opening night lineup in the 5th pre-season game while most of the CBJ was their AHL club. Kreuger tried to give the guys a pass by saying well they started poor but atleast they found a way to win... i'm not so sure. It looked like a tough fought victory that took overtime to get it done on home ice against a team with more then half of them won't be on NHL ice come next Wednesday.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Yeah.   I, for one, was disappointed in the performance and don't see anyway this team isn't picking near the top of the draft yet again.

Goaltending, lack of defensive awareness from most players, laxk of secondary scoring chances, long stretches without any compete level... just more of the same.

• Like (+1) 1

I still like idea of Sam driving his own line possibly with Skinner and Johannson.  Wonder if Olaf and Vesey could work with Jack.  Agree with comments on Scandella, Joker, Ok and The Boat on the negative side and Mitts and Gilmore on positive side.. TT still needs to work on getting puck out between his feet.... maybe shorter stick.

I put absolutely no stock in preseason in any sport. My impressions are that the talent on this team has improved incrementally over the past few years. Last season I still think they under performed. Probably not a playoff team but I'm not as pessimistic as a lot of guys here.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

-Olaf is an NHLer. He finds the areas to be open, and as we’ve all discussed ad nauseaum, his shot is ridiculous. If he’s kept with Eich and Samson, he’s a clear candidate for ROY, and we can drool over how many goals he might score. 

I had this thought last night too.  Is he rookie eligible I take it?  If he plays top line with Sam and jack and first line power play I could (knock on wood) see him scoring close to 30 and having a real look.

I love how the pom-pom holders will try and discount everything in preseason games because they're preseason games.  You mean to say you expect these guys to instantly shift gears in a week when the regular season starts?  These guys have had all summer to work on their game, do you really think their individual games will improve over the next week?  That's not how it works.  It's a slow climb from now through January to those other gears.  

What you're seeing is essentially how we will start the season, with the addition of another week of practice and a solidified roster. There's no reason to think otherwise. 

And, FWIW, Mitts looked like hot garbage out there.  Shooting wide, missing open nets, passes to no one.  I don't know what other people are looking at, but the dude needs to go down for the season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

I love how the pom-pom holders will try and discount everything in preseason games because they're preseason games.  You mean to say you expect these guys to instantly shift gears in a week when the regular season starts?  These guys have had all summer to work on their game, do you really think their individual games will improve over the next week?  That's not how it works.  It's a slow climb from now through January to those other gears.  

What you're seeing is essentially how we will start the season, with the addition of another week of practice and a solidified roster. There's no reason to think otherwise. 

And, FWIW, Mitts looked like hot garbage out there.  Shooting wide, missing open nets, passes to no one.  I don't know what other people are looking at, but the dude needs to go down for the season.

Regarding Mittelstadt, you missed that he got overpowered by 24, whoever 24 is, that led to a goal. Maybe the Sabres ought to trade for 24, and have him be the center.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.