Practice Lines September 24th

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What, you're not buying that a new coach is going to transform mostly the same roster into a good better team? 

FIFY.....

Last years opening roster: Minimum of 6 out of 21 changes from last year. So same roster isn't a very accurate statement.

Defense (8): Zach Bogosian, Matt Tennyson, Marco Scandella, Casey Nelson, Jake McCabe, Rasmus Dahlin, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nathan Beaulieu

• Forward (13): Jack Eichel, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Kyle Okposo, Sam Reinhart, Zemgus Girgensons, Jason Pominville, Casey Mittelstadt, Conor Sheary, Jeff Skinner, Evan Rodrigues, Tage Thompson, Remi Elie

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not sure I like the idea of Sheary at #2 RW

Isn't ideal.  But if Johansson is going to fill the 2C slot, the big hole in the top 6 slides to wing and the smaller hole slides to C.  Put him at wing, and now the big hole is at 2C.

This roster is still 1 D+ for a 2nd liner (or 1-2 years worth of growth of Mittelstadt &/or Cozens) away from having 6 or more bodies that actually belong in the top 6.  (Assuming Olofsson continues to play like he has, which seems a safe bet & that Johansson is close enough to a real top 6er for government work.)

Actually glad they are trying Johansson at 2C.  Figured he was brought in as the backup plan to making a Ristolainen trade, but they never mentioned him as a C until they finally put him there.  So, wasn't sure he'd actually get a shot there.

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

FIFY.....

Last years opening roster: Minimum of 6 out of 21 changes from last year. So same roster isn't a very accurate statement.

Defense (8): Zach Bogosian, Matt Tennyson, Marco Scandella, Casey Nelson, Jake McCabe, Rasmus Dahlin, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nathan Beaulieu

• Forward (13): Jack Eichel, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Kyle Okposo, Sam Reinhart, Zemgus Girgensons, Jason Pominville, Casey Mittelstadt, Conor Sheary, Jeff Skinner, Evan Rodrigues, Tage Thompson, Remi Elie

The problem is we still have all of our worst players. Until I see Sobotka banished to Europe, Scandella and Okposo in the press box, and some of the kids grow...I shall remain pessimistic. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The problem is we still have all of our worst players. Until I see Sobotka banished to Europe, Scandella and Okposo in the press box, and some of the kids grow...I shall remain pessimistic. 

While I feel your pain, I think the bigger issues was using those guys in the roles they were used.

Okposo (assuming he hasn’t degraded another level) and Scandella (especially if he bounces back from the worst year of his career) are fine on the fourth line and the third pair.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Derrico said:

That may be true but he is going to kill this team if hes playing second line minutes.

Still accurate, as edited, I fear. 

(Caveat: I admire and respect the guy. I just think he's washed.)

15 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I recommend not saying that loudly in a crowded bar.

Image result for drunk at a bar gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thing is, I’m not sure a diminished  Okposo is suited for fourth line duty. You want a bang and jammer there.

Not saying a whole lot, but that 4th line with him playing with Girgensons & Larsson was the best permutation we saw next to the version with Berglund there.  And w/ all the flaws they had last year, the 4th line wasn't the problem.

And even though that group wasn't as good at pure shutdown, they did score more as well.  I'd be perfectly fine giving Lazar a shot at that 12th forward, but he'll probably be about comparable to Kyle (but with less downside if not some extra upside) & either is almost definitely better than Sobotka will be.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.