Practice Lines September 24th

Brawndo

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I do have to say, when our fifth coach uses Risto in a 24 minute per game, top pairing role, and he's the same guy he's always been, I'm hoping we no longer have to talk about what a new coach may do to Risto's game

To me, it looks like what Krueger is trying to do is see if Risto actually belongs on the top line with Dahlin. If Risto/Dahlin doesn't work (and it hasn't) then I think Risto will, by necessity, find himself playing less minutes on a lower pair. 

He has to prove he can work with Dahlin if he wants his minutes. 

• Like (+1) 6

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I can’t help but think this is very similar to what we open the season with, with Larsson and Sheary added to the starting lineup when healthy.

Three of Sobotka, Thompson, Elie, Asplund, Lazar, Wilson, Borgen and Jokiharju will make it. The others will be early call-ups. Cozens is gone.

I don’t necessarily mean the lines precisely, although there is already a framework there.

Ralph was pretty clear that the final 3rd of the camp is prepping for the season.

Edited by dudacek

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Curious if Cozens is still rotating in on the Eichel line or if he's rotating in elsewhere.

Also, would be mildly surprised if those pairings hold and Scandella and Jokiharju are on the outside looking in rather than Nelson & Borgen on opening night.

Edited by Taro T

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Curious if Cozens is still rotating in on the Eichel line or if he's rotating in elsewhere.

Also, would be mildly surprised if those pairings hold and Scandella and Jokiharju are on the outside looking in rather than Nelson & Borgen on opening night.

The order of the lines by the reporters is nothing to look into.  They mix it up all the time.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agreed. Miller has been bumped to the second pair because of Monty’s injury.

Scandella Nelson is the likeliest 3rd pair on opening night, IMO, but the kids are getting an opportunity.

Related, Montour is a freelancer coming off an injury to a team where he hasn’t really carved a role on or off the ice. He would have really benefitted from training camp - more than most Sabres, IMO.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I do have to say, when our fifth coach uses Risto in a 24 minute per game, top pairing role, and he's the same guy he's always been, I'm hoping we no longer have to talk about what a new coach may do to Risto's game

Dahlen shouldn't be getting defensive zone faceoffs against the other teams best forwards since you want Dahlen on the ice in the offensive zone. I think this is RaKru (yeah I'm totally assimilating) deciding that McCabe and Miller (which is almost a movie title from the 1970's) are going to be the defensive zone pair while Risto will be the offensive zone defenseman, very different than how the other coaches have used Risto.

40 minutes ago, rakish said:

Dahlen shouldn't be getting defensive zone faceoffs against the other teams best forwards since you want Dahlen on the ice in the offensive zone. I think this is RaKru (yeah I'm totally assimilating) deciding that McCabe and Miller (which is almost a movie title from the 1970's) are going to be the defensive zone pair while Risto will be the offensive zone defenseman, very different than how the other coaches have used Risto.

I'll buy it when I see it for the first time on the fifth try 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not sure I like the idea of Sheary at #2 RW

Neither do I but Sheary is unlikely to collide with his center on a zone exit , unlike Okposo. 

19 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It makes me giggle every time I see PI's and Brawndo's avatars back-to-back.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Pi’s Avatar deserves a spot in the SabreSpace HOF,  mine not so much 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.