GDT: Toronto at Buffalo, 9/21/19 7pm, MSG WGR

Andrew Amerk

That line was Olofsson - Johansson - Asplund right?

Yeah, I think Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart can be a pretty legit 2nd line tbh. 

Focus a Risto+ trade on somebody to stylistically complete Skinner-Eichel, use Vesey and ERod as sheltered third line scoring, and let's roll

Vesey wasn't terrible today next to Jack but he wasn't reliable to come away from the boards with the puck and mishandled the few Eichel passes that made their way to him, I'd rather have him playing easier minutes than skating next to Jack against good defensive players

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Really liking that Olofsson.

Keep Skins with Eichel.

Skinner - Eichel - Johansson

Olofson - Cozens (asplund) - Reinhart   (if Cozens doesn't make the cut I put Asplund there)

Vesey  - Mittelstadt -  E-rod  ( I really want Mittelstad in rochester tbh)

Girgensons - Larsson - Lazar  ( I just can't put Okposo in the line up any more, or sheary, they both seem done).

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Skinner - Eichel - Johansson

Olofson - Cozens (asplund) - Reinhart   (if Cozens doesn't make the cut I put Asplund there)

Vesey  - Mittelstadt -  E-rod  ( I really want Mittelstad in rochester tbh)

Girgensons - Larsson - Lazar  ( I just can't put Okposo in the line up any more, or sheary, they both seem done).

I think Cozens chances of making the Sabres is better than Asplund and I don't think Cozens chances are very good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

That line was Olofsson - Johansson - Asplund right?

Yeah, I think Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart can be a pretty legit 2nd line tbh. 

Focus a Risto+ trade on somebody to stylistically complete Skinner-Eichel, use Vesey and ERod as sheltered third line scoring, and let's roll

Vesey wasn't terrible today next to Jack but he wasn't reliable to come away from the boards with the puck and mishandled the few Eichel passes that made their way to him, I'd rather have him playing easier minutes than skating next to Jack against good defensive players

One game, though. There were a bunch of chemistry miscues on all the lines.

On another note. Whenever I hear Babcock talk, I'm amazed that he even knows how to brush his own teeth.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

That Oloffson snipe

Really wish our top line is:

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson

Sheary-Johansson-Reinhart

Vesey-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues

This lineup as you have would struggle to get 80 points in the standings.....but that very well may be what happens 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I think Cozens chances of making the Sabres is better than Asplund and I don't think Cozens chances are very good. 

I don't know about that. I think Asplund looked pretty good and seemed to have some natural chemistry with Johanson. 

Right now I think Mittlestadt should be the odd man out, or 4th line at best. 

Colin Miller could be a huge addition from what I’ve seen so far. Really liking his game. Johansson was a breath of fresh air as well.

There is no way in hell Jason Pominville could have scored Vesey’s goal.

I usually agree with most of @Randall Flagg‘s player takes, but I’m still liking what I see from Asplund and I thought Scandella was fine tonight.

I don’t think anyone here had any doubt, but Olofsson has made the team. Vesey’s goal was a goal scorer’s goal, but Victor is easily a step above. With those two and Johansson, we have to score more goals this year. We just have to.

Heard Craig Rivet talking about how Risto had to play within himself and let the game come to him more, model his style after Chris Pronger. Saw some of that tonight.

I refuse to worry about Jeff Skinner based on his performance in two exhibition games.?

The goaltenders? I worry.

Greg Miller is the single most aggravating broadcaster in the universe. Did you know the Tavares Marner line dominated all night long? You know, the line that was -3?

Ralph’s post-gamer made it sound like significant cuts were coming tomorrow and Cozens, Asplund, Joki, Lazar, Ruotsalainen and Smith were all bubble guys. Smith played better than last night, Joki and Cozens worse. The others about the same. Real curious what that means for them, but also what it means for Vlad, Kyle, Tage and Casey.

• Like (+1) 2

First two periods I thought Risto looked not bad. Reverted to type during the third. But encouraging that he does seem to be capable of change. I just don't want to see him with Dahlin. 

Miller looked really good last night. Vesey surprised me too, but doesn't offer much defensively. Olofsson? ? Just ordered my 50th golden jersey with 68 on it!! 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't know about that. I think Asplund looked pretty good and seemed to have some natural chemistry with Johanson. 

Right now I think Mittlestadt should be the odd man out, or 4th line at best. 

Can't say on Mittlestadt, but yea, Johanson and Asplund seemed to feed off of one another. My only negative on Asplund is the ease with which he gets separated from the puck. The kid needs to pack on some hammy meat to anchor the legs imo.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

First two periods I thought Risto looked not bad. Reverted to type during the third. But encouraging that he does seem to be capable of change. I just don't want to see him with Dahlin. 

Miller looked really good last night. Vesey surprised me too, but doesn't offer much defensively. Olofsson? ? Just ordered my 50th golden jersey with 68 on it!! 

That 50th Jersey, was it an "Authentic"? If so, where did you order it from? Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Can't say on Mittlestadt, but yea, Johanson and Asplund seemed to feed off of one another. My only negative on Asplund is the ease with which he gets separated from the puck. The kid needs to pack on some hammy meat to anchor the legs imo.

That 50th Jersey, was it an "Authentic"? If so, where did you order it from? Thanks.

"hammy meat"     ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Greg Miller is the single most aggravating broadcaster in the universe. Did you know the Tavares Marner line dominated all night long? You know, the line that was -3?

I cannot stand Greg Millen, he is a Leaf Blower, par excellence.

Another "fact" he stated was that Dubas had assembled a team that could fly, every player on his team can flat out fly. Ben Harpur makes Okposo look like a Ferrari so I dispute that claim.

His voice just hurts my ears.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Dmen either give Jack room or he just makes it seem that way. 

He has a quick step.  As he approaches a defender he'll look like he's getting ready to glide in, then instead he drops the clutch and accelerates on by.

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Just ordered my 50th golden jersey with 68 on it!! 

I think if he makes the team it might be with a new number of his own choosing.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think if he makes the team it might be with a new number of his own choosing.

Aha, so you're saying I'll have a limited edition then lol! ?

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Def not an authentic, too expensive for me when shipping and import taxes are added. I'll pop a pic up when it comes.

Edited by steveoath
  • Like (+1) 1

1. My takes: Samson was the best forward on the ice, is the guy we wanted from the start finally here
  2. Johansson just possibly won the 2C job
  3. Eichel taking defensive faceoffs and being physical on the boards
  4. This Risto may just grow on me
  5. Olofsson's one timer is elite
  6. Vesey is going to be better than most people on this site think, not great better
  7. GK is the weakest part of this team and may be its undoing
  8. Do we finally have a decent defense, Miller's shot is pretty darn good
  9. Team speed has improved immensely from this time last year
  10. Does Okposo get cut and Lazar take his place as RW4
  11. Lots to work on but that 3rd period was fun to watch

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Aha, so you're saying I'll have a limited edition then lol! ?

Def not an authentic, too expensive for me when shipping and import taxes are added. I'll pop a pic up when it comes.

I think you are safe with 68. He wore 41 in his call up last year and he chose 68 this year. He is the first player in Sabres History to wear that number. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Colin Miller could be a huge addition from what I’ve seen so far. Really liking his game. Johansson was a breath of fresh air as well.

There is no way in hell Jason Pominville could have scored Vesey’s goal.

I usually agree with most of @Randall Flagg‘s player takes, but I’m still liking what I see from Asplund and I thought Scandella was fine tonight.

I don’t think anyone here had any doubt, but Olofsson has made the team. Vesey’s goal was a goal scorer’s goal, but Victor is easily a step above. With those two and Johansson, we have to score more goals this year. We just have to.

Heard Craig Rivet talking about how Risto had to play within himself and let the game come to him more, model his style after Chris Pronger. Saw some of that tonight.

I refuse to worry about Jeff Skinner based on his performance in two exhibition games.?

The goaltenders? I worry.

Ralph’s post-gamer made it sound like significant cuts were coming tomorrow and Cozens, Asplund, Joki, Lazar, Ruotsalainen and Smith were all bubble guys. Smith played better than last night, Joki and Cozens worse. The others about the same. Real curious what that means for them, but also what it means for Vlad, Kyle, Tage and Casey.

You shouldn't "worry" about Skinner's performance, but that's exactly what he looks like when he's not with Jack. It's exactly what he looked like last year without Jack. That's why I will continue to beat that drum hard.

And Scandy's play with the puck last night, stretched over long periods of time, will turn in a season just like last year. You can't be that inconsistent with the puck on your stick in today's NHL, you will get caved in. 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

You shouldn't "worry" about Skinner's performance, but that's exactly what he looks like when he's not with Jack. It's exactly what he looked like last year without Jack. That's why I will continue to beat that drum hard.

Precisely. I'm not worried about them not playing together in the preseason because we know it works. But if we open the season without them paired up, I'll be pretty cranky. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.