GDT: Buffalo at Toronto, 7pm 9/20/19, MSG WGR

Andrew Amerk

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think there's any way they get 3 years unless there's significant improvement over Botterill's first two seasons. 

There better be some significant improvement! 

Between Pegula saying teams need continuity and McClellan telling Pegula that the turnover at the HC Position is concerning during his interview, I do wonder if Krueger did get some reassurances . 

Mittlestadt looks worse than last season. 

I like Cozens and Thompson's game.   

Ullmark looks better than last year.  More under control, not getting too far out of position.  

Jokiharu impressive but needs to work on his defensive play and decision making.

Okposo terrible.

Routsalainen, not impressed.

What I like already is a more aggressive gap defending zone entries. 

40 minutes ago, biodork said:

Well, NHL TV auto-renewed my subscription, so I guess I'll watch/listen. I have a lot of work to do to re-acquaint myself with the team, but I sure hope they make it worth the effort this season.

They auto=renewed mine as well...and ignored that I had the student discount last time, so they thought they could get away with sneaking a doubling of my price in there. I caught 'em in time though

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

They auto=renewed mine as well...and ignored that I had the student discount last time, so they thought they could get away with sneaking a doubling of my price in there. I caught 'em in time though

Good catch! I had seen emails about the preseason starting and was debating whether to renew, and even searched my email for info on the upcoming season but found nothing. Then I saw my credit card was already charged. ?

Lmao there is nobody more capable of taking a puck in space in a prime area and turning it into nothing whatsoever than Vlad Sobotka

Glad to see that hasn't left his game

You can see that elite offensive teams like Toronto just have better offensive zone instincts when they get pucks, what to do with them, where to go with them,a nd where to go when they don't have them. The Sabres have such a characteristic hesitation and reservation due to questionable skill levels. 

They're still playing well though, some good things to take out of this one.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Lmao there is nobody more capable of taking a puck in space in a prime area and turning it into nothing whatsoever than Vlad Sobotka

Glad to see that hasn't left his game

You can see that elite offensive teams like Toronto just have better offensive zone instincts when they get pucks, what to do with them, where to go with them,a nd where to go when they don't have them. The Sabres have such a characteristic hesitation and reservation due to questionable skill levels. 

They're still playing well though, some good things to take out of this one.

From a thinking and trying point of view, they’re playing well.

It’s 2-0 because the other team has a lot more skill.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Mittlestadt looks worse than last season. 

I like Cozens and Thompson's game.   

Ullmark looks better than last year.  More under control, not getting too far out of position.  

Jokiharu impressive but needs to work on his defensive play and decision making.

Okposo terrible.

Routsalainen, not impressed.

What I like already is a more aggressive gap defending zone entries. 

Mittelstadt's been out against Matthews line every shift but the last 3.  (The ones where they actually had some pressure, including the very long pressure.)

And in those shifts where Matthews got away from Mitts line, Nylander went on a breakaway and he scored a goal.

Cozens has looked quite impressive (against AHLers).  He has been getting himself some open ice.

Jokiharju has been a bit disappointing tonight.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Mittelstadt's been out against Matthews line every shift but the last 3.  (The ones where they actually had some pressure, including the very long pressure.)

And in those shifts where Matthews got away from Mitts line, Nylander went on a breakaway and he scored a goal.

Cozens has looked quite impressive (against AHLers).  He has been getting himself some open ice.

Jokiharju has been a bit disappointing tonight.

I do not believe 34 and 88 are AHLers 

?

• Like (+1) 2

Borgen > Joki

McCabe was fine, and is an NHLer. Not all defensemen are going to be sublime at puckhandling and passing

The Sabres need to figure out the point thing. Their point men have the most space, which is why they tend to funnel the puck there, it's the safest play. But going back since the tank ended, that often means that when you catch a team in their own zone for an extended period of time, 75% of the passing and puckhandling, and almost 100% of the shots, are done by your McCabes, Nelsons, Bogosians, Scandellas even while your Jacks, Sams, Skinners etc. are out there with them. Other teams do a much better job of getting the forwards opportunities to get open, take shots, make passes. 

I think McCabe would be the only guy I'd be SHOCKED to see not make the NHL team right away from today's team, which speaks well to how they held up against Matthews and Rielly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.