Phase II Training Camp Lines

Brawndo

I wasn't watching super closely, and it is only preseason even if I was, but I'd agree with the general sentiment that Cozens looked like a smarter/better hockey player than Casey in their games. 

I still wouldn't keep Cozens up here, but if he gets a taste of his free 9 games while we wait for our forward trade to develop, well there are worse ways for the start of this season to pan out 

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wasn't watching super closely, and it is only preseason even if I was, but I'd agree with the general sentiment that Cozens looked like a smarter/better hockey player than Casey in their games. 

I still wouldn't keep Cozens up here, but if he gets a taste of his free 9 games while we wait for our forward trade to develop, well there are worse ways for the start of this season to pan out 

I need to see Cozens against real NHL players. Hopefully tomorrow against the Loafs.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

And more forceful.

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ya no kidding.....

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-eichel-of-sabres-sidelined-weeks-with-injury/c-282615994

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't think he looks physically ready to take on grown men but he has the wheels and the drive.

I'm sure JBot would like him to grow and dominate the WHL plus have the WJHC experience. It is not unprecedented for a guy like that to break through. My guess is 2-3 games and if he does well they take it to 9 games.

There are no leading issues; I think all of the issues with Cozens staying up carry the same weight. That said, one that has yet to be mentioned is the 82 game schedule and the toll it takes, the playoffs notwithstanding.  Dahlin was a wreck by the end of last season''s campaign.  We can't rely on Cozens to be any different and, Lord help us, if we make the playoffs we certainly shouldn't be relying on him to be a 2C this season.

per the Sabres:

Here is Buffalo's roster for Friday: 

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Porter isn’t even on an NHL contract, either is Redmond.

Why play them? Show of respect for your leaders on the farm?

I don't think it's about them. I think (hope?) everyone in that lineup is in danger of being sent down/traded, unless they show they are better than our AHLer's

On risto paired with Dahlin. I think this is an abomination! 

If we are supposed to be playing with fast puck movers, leading to controlled breakouts. How does Risto help? There was a great point made about pairings in one of the podcasts that I'm going paraphrase.... If the forecheckers bear down on Dahlin (which they will coz he's awesome) why pair him with someone who treats the puck as a live grenade? Don't you want a Jokiharju, Montour type? Hopefully Ristolainen can prove us all wrong. But I am skeptical that he can.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that it would be a major slap in the face for Mitts.  But when I watch him, I just don't see a guy who's ready to be an effective NHL player.  I kinda like the idea of him battling against a lower level of pro hockey for half a season (or more) before throwing him in over his head again.

Also, I freaking love the idea of Cozens blowing in like Tormund Giantsbane and seizing the 2C spot.

Tormund Giantsbane? What a name. I’m bummed I don’t get the reference (and therefore don’t know if it’s literal or a joke). I ain’t even gonna look it up.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Porter isn’t even on an NHL contract, either is Redmond.

Why play them? Show of respect for your leaders on the farm?

Probably just because they need to fill out a lineup and really only want the veteran NHL players to participate in 2-3 preseason games.

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Tormund Giantsbane? What a name. I’m bummed I don’t get the reference (and therefore don’t know if it’s literal or a joke). I ain’t even gonna look it up.

It’s from Game of Thrones.  He is a big BA from the frozen north.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

On risto paired with Dahlin. I think this is an abomination! 

If we are supposed to be playing with fast puck movers, leading to controlled breakouts. How does Risto help? There was a great point made about pairings in one of the podcasts that I'm going paraphrase.... If the forecheckers bear down on Dahlin (which they will coz he's awesome) why pair him with someone who treats the puck as a live grenade? Don't you want a Jokiharju, Montour type? Hopefully Ristolainen can prove us all wrong. But I am skeptical that he can.

Well I think the sabres plan was montour until his injury.  I’m still leery of pairing Dahlin with someone else so inexperienced

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

per the Sabres:

Here is Buffalo's roster for Friday: 

throw up team america GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't think it's about them. I think (hope?) everyone in that lineup is in danger of being sent down/traded, unless they show they are better than our AHLer's

Yep. If it is strictly on merit, McCabe is the only exception for me.

Scandella, Miller, Dahlin and Risto are in opening night. With Montour out, the guys in tonight are battling with Nelson for the last two spots.

Up front, Conor, Tage, Casey, Kyle and Vlad are trying to protect their jobs. Lazar, Smith, Cozens, Ruotsalainen and the rest are trying to take them.

For at least half this roster, it's their last shot at making the team and not many of the rest are going to survive the final cuts.

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Got it. Yeah, that gawky goofy looking giraffe isn't making like a big bad ass this fall, whether from GOT or otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think there’s zero chance Sheary, Sobotka, Ullmark, Okposo, Thompson and Mitts get sent to Roch. So, to me, this isn’t a “bubble team” tonight or at risk of getting sent to Roch if they have a bad game or two for those players.  

Ullmark, Sheary, Mitts might be in the clear. I think Okposo probably is. Sobotka and Thompson, idk. I see no reason to put Sobotka on this team. Every center or lw we have is better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.