Phase II Training Camp Lines

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Okay, Dahlin and Risto actually played more together than I thought, and the results weren't as bad as I thought. 220 minutes, 9 goals for, 10 against, positive expected goal share, negative shot share by a couple percentage points. I must just be remembering one particularly ugly game or something.

Human memory is terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Did he allow it or did Pilut just support Risto and that allowed Risto to exit better? 

How would that happen? How would his presence on the ice make Risto's passes more accurate, or make better decisions when getting pucks to forwards? I just can't really picture that being a thing is all

Pilut's main NHL skill is puck distribution and his main flaw is being physically overwhelmed, so when he was with a guy who does not get physically overwhelmed but who struggles with puck movement they stuck to their strengths and balanced each other's weaknesses and it led to good things happening

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

How would that happen? How would his presence on the ice make Risto's passes more accurate, or make better decisions when getting pucks to forwards? I just can't really picture that being a thing is all

Pheromones.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That second group looks like the island of misfit toys. 

McCabe is the one that sticks out to me.  I'm a bit surprised they didn't mix up the D a bit more.  Short of trades/injuries, he's the only one in the second group who will be in the opening night roster.

Edited by shrader

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That second group looks like the island of misfit toys. 

Interesting that Mittelstadt, Sheary, Okposo, & McCabe are skating with the AHLers while Cozens, Ruotsalainen, Asplund, and Jokiharju are given a chance to show what they can do with NHLers.

Fine with looking to see what a baseline for Cozens is.  But if the answer at 2C is an 18 yo, expecting they've asked the wrong question or should it somehow work, Botterill needs to buy a truckload of lottery tickets before his luck runs out.

I just like that those lines don't make me say "why on earth would he think that's a good idea." Who knows how it plays out in the regular season, but we don't see any signs that Krueger things Sobotka is a top six player, or equivalently troubling things that other coaches have shown too much in the past. Like, those lines look like he understands what his players are

• Like (+1) 1

As for the second group: I put everyone I don't expect to make the team in bold. These are players I would be shocked or annoyed if they made the team. I put players I could see missing out in italics. Really in this list only Mitts, Okposo and McCabe are locks. Honestly I wish Okposo the best but unless he has a magical renaissance he's probably just taking up space. 

Elie - Sobotka - Thompson
Smith - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Lazar - Porter - Dea
Oglevie - Malone - Sheary

Gilmour - Borgen
McCabe - Hickey
Bryson - Redmond

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As for the second group: I put everyone I don't expect to make the team in bold. These are players I would be shocked or annoyed if they made the team. I put players I could see missing out in italics. Really in this list only Mitts, Okposo and McCabe are locks. Honestly I wish Okposo the best but unless he has a magical renaissance he's probably just taking up space.

Me too. I like Okposo. I get scared for him when he stands up for his teammates and gets clocked in the head. But darn if he isn't a passionate hockey player.

Okposo had 14G last year, 7 PPG. One further year from his prime, but also one further year from his ICU medical scare. Maybe he's closer to 20 if he's not stapled to the 4th line with Girgs/Larry. Maybe a Smith/Mitts/Okposo protected-minutes 3rd line, plus 2nd PP unit gets Okposo back closer to 20? Like an 18-18-36 on the season?

The major upgrades we need this year are for our middle six to each pick up 3-4 more goals on the season. In the case of Sobotka --> ???, it should be from 5G to 15G, which would be immensely important.

23 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If Vesey ends up on Eichel's wing to start the season....

gif... But, they have off-season chemistry!

I still think we get to a 1-2 combo of: Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson; Johansson-Mittelstadt-Reinhart or Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart; Skinner-Mittelstadt-Johansson. Depending on how well Reino can manage a line.

Then Vesey-Asplund-Rodrigues and Girgs-Larry-Okposo (so we have PKers) on the big roster.

So, if we were to tweak today's lines to my liking, we'd have:

Skinner - Eichel - ERod
Vesey - Cozens - Reino
Johansson - Asplund - Olofsson
Girgensons - Larsson - Ruotsalainen

...putting KO and Sheary in the press box as extras and Mittsie and TT in Rochester for further seasoning.

I could talk myself into liking that setup pretty easily.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So, if we were to tweak today's lines to my liking, we'd have:

Skinner - Eichel - ERod
Vesey - Cozens - Reino
Johansson - Asplund - Olofsson
Girgensons - Larsson - Ruotsalainen

...putting KO and Sheary in the press box as extras and Mittsie and TT in Rochester for further seasoning.

I could talk myself into liking that setup pretty easily.

I hate the idea of sending Mitts to Rochester after he battled his way through a whole NHL season. But a new coach = a clean slate and if he's not up to Ralph's liking then I don't see another option.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I hate the idea of sending Mitts to Rochester after he battled his way through a whole NHL season. But a new coach = a clean slate and if he's not up to Ralph's liking then I don't see another option.

I agree that it would be a major slap in the face for Mitts.  But when I watch him, I just don't see a guy who's ready to be an effective NHL player.  I kinda like the idea of him battling against a lower level of pro hockey for half a season (or more) before throwing him in over his head again.

Also, I freaking love the idea of Cozens blowing in like Tormund Giantsbane and seizing the 2C spot.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that it would be a major slap in the face for Mitts.  But when I watch him, I just don't see a guy who's ready to be an effective NHL player.  I kinda like the idea of him battling against a lower level of pro hockey for half a season (or more) before throwing him in over his head again.

Also, I freaking love the idea of Cozens blowing in like Tormund Giantsbane and seizing the 2C spot.

I've been saying (or thinking?) this for a while, but...

We're due for an unexpected hit like this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.