OT: Downtown developments

sabills

51 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

What part of the city do you live in. I’m near the 198 and Elmwood. Since the idiotic changing of the 198 to a parkway the traffic near me has been pretty bad. Can spend a half hour in front of wegmans on Amherst street on a bad day. Dont let there be a slow roll going on in the area.

I live in that same area and I didn't notice an appreciable difference in traffic when that started, but I'll agree that the Slow Roll needs to die a swift death. Or at least move to like 2 hours later.

1 hour ago, Kr632 said:

Never said we don’t have smooth flowing traffic. I said they hate it. They keep lowering speed limits, adding traffic lights that aren’t synchronized, adding stop signs where they aren’t needed, narrowing roads. 

What part of the city do you live in. I’m near the 198 and Elmwood. Since the idiotic changing of the 198 to a parkway the traffic near me has been pretty bad. Can spend a half hour in front of wegmans on Amherst street on a bad day. Dont let there be a slow roll going on in the area. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I don’t live there anymore but I’m there every month, sometimes twice a month.  

I just stayed at an AirBNB on Lancaster near Elmwood.  You live in a fabulous area of the city.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.  i have seen this in cities across the country.  Are the neighborhoods bad because they are near the interstate, or are they near the interstate because they are bad?    Also, when I see interstates run through upscale neighborhood I often see sound barrier walls and trees lining the walls on the city side. 

They are bad because poor people live there who can't afford to keep their homes in good condition and when people don't have much they resort to robbing and stealing or selling and using drugs. The neighborhood ends up declining like a snowball rolling downhill...slow at first then faster and faster as it gains momentum.

If they want to fix the neighborhoods they need to fix the income level of the people living there first.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.  i have seen this in cities across the country.  Are the neighborhoods bad because they are near the interstate, or are they near the interstate because they are bad?    Also, when I see interstates run through upscale neighborhood I often see sound barrier walls and trees lining the walls on the city side. 

They are bad because poor people live there who can't afford to keep their homes in good condition and when people don't have much they resort to robbing and stealing or selling and using drugs. The neighborhood ends up declining like a snowball rolling downhill...slow at first then faster and faster as it gains momentum.

If they want to fix the neighborhoods they need to fix the income level of the people living there first.

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Eh, yes and no. This problem dates back to the post-war housing boom. When black America was forced to rent, white America was accumulating wealth in the form of property ownership. There would be many more middle class black Americans had black Americans been able to buy the same houses as white Americans. 

The highways were installed at this same time in black neighborhoods and drove down what property value was to be had. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.