GDT:Buffalo at Columbus. 9/17/19 7pm Streaming at Sabres.com WGR

Brawndo

Is there a way to go back and watch these preseason games on the Sabres site?  I was blacked out and hoping now that it's over it will be shared to everyone. 

I Dont want to use illegal stream or download. legitimate only. I haven't seen a link to it on the Sabres page

26 minutes ago, miles said:

Is there a way to go back and watch these preseason games on the Sabres site?  I was blacked out and hoping now that it's over it will be shared to everyone. 

I Dont want to use illegal stream or download. legitimate only. I haven't seen a link to it on the Sabres page

I just nosed around the video section at the Sabres website and did not see anything beyond the usual highlight type videos.

It doesn't look like they are making the full game video available, but maybe someone knows more.

I also couldn't find the games posted at Youtube.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I just nosed around the video section at the Sabres website and did not see anything beyond the usual highlight type videos.

It doesn't look like they are making the full game video available, but maybe someone knows more.

I also couldn't find the games posted at Youtube.

Thanks. I didn't find any either. I watched the clips but prefer to see the whole game, even if they lose

1 hour ago, miles said:

Quite frankly, why would you want to? Nothing redeeming can be gleaned from them. Dahlin's made some nice plays and is still prone to a few terrible gaffs each game. 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Quite frankly, why would you want to? Nothing redeeming can be gleaned from them. Dahlin's made some nice plays and is still prone to a few terrible gaffs each game. 

I enjoy watching them play. I really like watching ullmark play. 

Overall I miss hockey. I dont really like to watch too many other teams. 

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Nah.

It's what we're supposed to do as fans.  We're simply in mid-season form, and you're having trouble accepting that apparently.   

Nah. It's not what we're supposed to do as fans. As fans we're supposed to be overly optimistic, have that crushed by reality, then argue about whose fault it is this time and what the solution is, but we're supposed to wait until something meaningful actually happens before the pessimism. That's what "Fans" are supposed to do. Sabres futility has ruined you. Take a vacation :)  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sam had come off a rookie year (equivalent with respect to his draft year) where he scored 11 more goals than Casey and 18 more points, looking better shift in and shift out despite way less time in the offensive zone, and with every other stat and metric in existence heavily favoring him over Casey. 

The bold isn't even close to being true.

Not the way I look at it. Sam was so dreadful his first year he went back to the minors after what was it like 8 or 9 games. Casey, on the other hand played a full season and had 25 points. You can argue that those aren't the same point in development but I'd say they are both their first year. US and Canadian starting points are not the same age wise imo. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not the way I look at it. Sam was so dreadful his first year he went back to the minors after what was it like 8 or 9 games. Casey, on the other hand played a full season and had 25 points. You can argue that those aren't the same point in development but I'd say they are both their first year. US and Canadian starting points are not the same age wise imo. 

No, Casey went back to college his first year and never even touched NHL games. 

Until April, at least.

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

No, Casey went back to college his first year and never even touched NHL games. 

Until April, at least.

I know. That's why I said US and Canadian programs don't have the same age point for most players. But it doesn't matter. He doesn't look like a 2C based on last year or preseason game 1 for him. Fair enough. Won't argue that. 

I still think he can develop into a good player, but it is a question of how soon for sure. 

On 09/18/2019 at 1:43 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Over reactions to a meaningless preseason hockey game or what? Some of you definitely are going to give yourselves heart attacks and/or ulcers. Don't get your blood pressure up until at least October 3rd.

As for Mitts, I'm going to say it again. He still looks better than Sam did at this point in his development. 

Mittelstadt does.  You might have noticed that after this point in development Reinhart never saw C duty again.

That doesn't mean Mitts is ready for 2C duty.

Nor does it mean the Reinhart lovers who will bail on him again in October when he has a another slow start again are right.  (Sam starting slow is a rite of fall; and he'll overcome it, like he always does.)

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nor does it mean the Reinhart lovers who will bail on him again in October when he has a another slow start again are right.  (Sam starting slow is a rite of fall; and he'll overcome it, like he always does.)

I certainly hope you are wrong about this. Another slow start by him calls his value into question imo. At this point he needs to be one of the driving forces of this team and we simply cannot afford to build around guys who do not show up for a full season. A slow start would certainly hurt his contract negotiations I am sure, and may in fact lead to him being dealt if he asks for too much.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I certainly hope you are wrong about this. Another slow start by him calls his value into question imo. At this point he needs to be one of the driving forces of this team and we simply cannot afford to build around guys who do not show up for a full season. A slow start would certainly hurt his contract negotiations I am sure, and may in fact lead to him being dealt if he asks for too much.

He'll start slow and still end up ~70 points.  How does that make him invaluable to the Sabres?  That will put him in the top 3 scorers once again.  He should be re-signed.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nonsense 

I think it’s a myth that he has ever started a season slow. He’s had 1 bad month (December ‘17) and still ended up with 25 g and 25 a.

79, 79, 82, 82 while making everyone he plays with better. If that isn’t valuable then I don’t know what is.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know. That's why I said US and Canadian programs don't have the same age point for most players. But it doesn't matter. He doesn't look like a 2C based on last year or preseason game 1 for him. Fair enough. Won't argue that. 

I still think he can develop into a good player, but it is a question of how soon for sure. 

That doesn't make sense. You can't argue in favor of Casey while pooing on Sam when they followed the same development path to this point. They went back to a lesser league for year 1 post draft. They both played what was effectively their 19yr old season outside the NHL. Casey went "back" to college and Reinhart went back to the WHL. 

Are you trying to argue college players are older? I'd say college is a step above the WHL for sure but I don't see what that has to do with anything when both players were returned to the leagues they played for. 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No they did not. You can't argue age and then ignore that both players played their 19year old years outside of the NHL. At the age of 20 Sam Reinhart had 23goals and 42 points in the NHL. At the age of 20 Mittelstadt had 12g and 25 points in the NHL. 

Clearly Reinhart was better suited to make the jump. This idea that US Hockey and Canadian Junior are not the same starting point does not make sense. Most Canadian Junior players go back for their first year post draft. Most college bound players go to college their first year. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think it’s a myth that he has ever started a season slow. He’s had 1 bad month (December ‘17) and still ended up with 25 g and 25 a.

79, 79, 82, 82 while making everyone he plays with better. If that isn’t valuable then I don’t know what is.

In 2015 Reinhart started well 2.48 pts/60 EV for the first 10 games, season finish 1.78

2016, first 10 games 0.95, season finish 1.63 

2017, first 10 games 1.00 , season finish 1.52

2018, first 10 games 0.88, season finish 2.34

to give you some context on what those numbers mean (defenseman excluded),  for 2018

9 EICHEL2.64 56

23 REINHART2.34 50

53 SKINNER2.24 47

29 POMINVILLE2.10 29

43 SHEARY1.72 28

92 NYLANDER1.44 3

71 RODRIGUES 1.41 22

28 GIRGENSONS1.38 18

20 WILSON1.25 3

41 OLOFSSON1.24 2

21 OKPOSO1.13 17

49 SMITH1.07 2

37 MITTELSTADT1.05 15

22 LARSSON0.90 13

10 BERGLUND0.88 4

72 THOMPSON0.87 10

17 SOBOTKA0.80 11

OK, let's move on to your second sentence about Reinhart making everyone else better. In 2018, pts/60 Even Strength

Eichel 2.64 entire season, 2.40 with Reinhart. You might say that's pretty close, but since about 3/4 of Eichel's minutes are with Reinhart, this means that without Reinhart, Jack's numbers were well over 3.00

Skinner 2.24 entire season, 1.93 with Reinhart (for half of Skinner's minutes, therefore Skinner was roughly 2.5 without Reinhart

Sheary 1.72 entire season,  1.95 with Reinhart (for roughly 30% of Sheary's minutes, therefore Sheary without Reinhart 1.6

Rodriguez 1.41 entire season,  0.97 with Reinhart (20%, so ERod scored about 1.5 without)

Mittelstadt 1.05 entire season,  1.17 with Reinhart (25%, so Mittelstadt scored about 1.00 without.)

The interesting comparison for me is Sheary and Skinner. Sheary scored more with Reinhart than Skinner did. So as you see, Reinhart helps some people, doesn't help others. He's a good hockey player, but he doesn't make Mittlestadt into Eichel either. The Power Play was ineffective when Reinhart was on the ice, and the PK was ineffective, in very short minutes. I enjoy your music.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In both production and eye test.

He has also been a first-line point producer ever since.

...until the 2nd half of last season, although if we're going to quibble about "point producer" vs "mainstay who shows up when his team needs him and should be locked up to a fat long-term deal" I suppose there is room for disagreement.

53 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

...until the 2nd half of last season, although if we're going to quibble about "point producer" vs "mainstay who shows up when his team needs him and should be locked up to a fat long-term deal" I suppose there is room for disagreement.

Some of Sam's best games of last season were in that stretch. The Saturday afternooner against the Caps, he basically single-handedly won that game, he was awesome, and it was probably the best game he's ever had in his life - firmly entrenched in the middle of the collapse.  

And if you project his scoring rate over the last 41 games of last year to the entire year, he still would have had a career high in point production with 55. That's kind of tough to fit in your picture. Repeat - the second half of last year Sam would still have been the most productive Sam Reinhart EVER had the first year gone the same way. 

So his decline wasn't any worse than that of all other top line Sabres (it was actually less severe than Jack and Jeff's, it looks like), and it's pretty well-established that these guys didn't fall off and tank the team, but rather their 100/80/70 point paces from the first half were not sustainable when no other lines were capable of doing anything, and so other teams could focus all their energy on shutting down one line. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.