GDT:Buffalo at Columbus. 9/17/19 7pm Streaming at Sabres.com WGR

Brawndo

Sad reading in this thread, with all due respect

All i can say is that preseason never usually prove how the team will perform, it just prove individual talant or not.
Ive seen teams over so many seasons, as have you, in both NHL and other leagues, winning all games preseason and the hype is real with the fans cheering on all platforms. 

Then the real season starts and everything pretty much goes the opposite direction, fans going berserk on all platforms demanding change, and so will i unfortunatly.
There are probably pre seasons with some teams that have won all games and then kept on winning also, imo the pre season doesnt say sh1t to me, other than stated above.

Ive also fallen into this trap of feeling fragile and frustrated over the success that never comes, the 10 game winning streak last season really got my hopes up, just to be totally destroyed after a couple of months. 

I wont watch any preseason game that is for sure, it doesnt interest me at all and never have. 

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Preseason game eh 

sam winchester yawn GIF

The only thing more tired than fans getting upset at a preseason game is anyone using any reference to yawning.  

8 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Looking at the box score.  Important question: who the ***** is Jean-Sebastien Dea?

An Amerk

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

The point is that that "something" from the past IS what's preventing that future from getting going

But to continually dwell on it, reference it, harp on it, cry about it is nauseating. Is this how everyone lives their life?  Go back into old work places and give em the ol "You guys screwed up" or go to an ex's house and tell her she "your better than her new bf."  

It's turned into a mental disorder for some of you. This fan base has issues. People still referencing Drury and Briere, the stupid 4 first rounders for Vanek, anything to do with Kozlov, drafting Brad May over Keith Tkachuk. It never ends. I think the only thing that will cure anyone is a Cup. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Thinking this could be a bottom 5 team in the league has nothing to do with preseason for me. The defense could be pretty good but outside of that, goaltending and forwards look atrocious.

Indeed. I don't care if they lose every preseason game 31-2. The team was bad last year with a set of clearly identifiable problems which have not been fixed. We upgraded the D and wings some, but it's not like we added some kind of Panarin-level player there. And the biggest two problems, center and goaltending, have gone untouched. 

33 minutes ago, inkman said:

But to continually dwell on it, reference it, harp on it, cry about it is nauseating. Is this how everyone lives their life?  Go back into old work places and give em the ol "You guys screwed up" or go to an ex's house and tell her she "your better than her new bf."  

It's turned into a mental disorder for some of you. This fan base has issues. People still referencing Drury and Briere, the stupid 4 first rounders for Vanek, anything to do with Kozlov, drafting Brad May over Keith Tkachuk. It never ends. I think the only thing that will cure anyone is a Cup. 

False equivalency. The stuff you referenced has no bearing on today. The ROR trade does. 

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

Nah, 3 cups

O'Reilly is the new crusade to be brought up for years to come.  Add it to @inkman 's list.  People forget that he had just "led" us to a 62 point season and it certainly sounded like he was not enjoying his time in Buffalo.  Interesting that Mr. Ultimate Leader Ryan thrived when his leadership responsibilities lessened on a more veteran team.  He wasn't the leader needed for a young team.  All I'm going to say about him.  The crusade is old and I'm sick of his name already.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Smith-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Olofsson-Asplund-Olsen
Wilson-Ruotsalainen-Dea
Pekar-Sobotka-Okposo

McCabe-Montour
Fitzgerald-Hickey
Borgen-Bryson
Jokiharju appears to be an extra (played last night)

Ullmark
Hammond

Just like Pittsburgh shouldn't freak out after we dominated them on Monday, we should all take a deep breath after last night. I put in bold all the players that will make the Roster out of camp (most likely) and we had 4 forwards, 2 defenders, and 1 goalie in last nights lineup that are NHL guys. I am not too worried about 1 game where they didn't play well. I hope they start making cuts today so they can focus in on the guys. We get another 2 games this weekend and that should be interesting. 

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

From a team-building perspective I agree, as it's a heck of a lot harder to find 1 elite guy than 3 average ones. But from a playing competitive hockey this season perspective, I don't think that holds up so well. How many competitive teams can you think of that only ice one center worth a damn? I'm not talking Cup contenders either. Moreover, I can't think of any teams actively trying to win that are icing 3 average centers and nothing better than that. It's a comparison to something that doesn't exist.

Edit: Maybe my position is being misconstrued as a shot at Jack. It isn't. It's a commentary on how bad our other centers are. 

Centers or forwards? Could it be we put all our emphasis on a #2 center and really just need more offense period?  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We went into the offseason needing both, and only addressed the less important one. 

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's possible to cover up some of the lack of depth at center with wingers who can actually score a damn goal. We did it for years here under Regier.

The problem we have isn't just with the center spine, it's with offense in general. Jeff Skinner is our only scoring winger. All of the centers in the world don't solve that problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's possible to cover up some of the lack of depth at center with wingers who can actually score a damn goal. We did it for years here under Regier.

The problem we have isn't just with the center spine, it's with offense in general. Jeff Skinner is our only scoring winger. All of the centers in the world don't solve that problem.

If we had added Panarin, sure. But we added Johansson and Vesey. If we were going to punt at center because of cost or whatever, we needed to do better than that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I did. I just wanted more info. Sounded to me like Krueger was not happy with how practice was translating to the games. What did you think? 

I think he was saying they weren't game planning for specific teams or tendencies. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I did. I just wanted more info. Sounded to me like Krueger was not happy with how practice was translating to the games. What did you think? 

I took it as he didn’t really care about the games. He wanted the boys to practice. Almost like the games were  getting in the way.

Also the context of the question being ‘are the guy’s gassed’ . He said something like ‘well they’ve been on the ice the past 4 days and a game today” so...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 3putt said:

I think he was saying they weren't game planning for specific teams or tendencies. 

I think that was part of what he was saying. He added "It's more the structure and principles we didn't do". So it sounds like they aren't game planning for opponents which he thought that had something to do with it and he thought their execution with the principles he wants them to play by didn't happen. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.