Jimmy “Dishes” Vesey - future star or the next Sheary?

GASabresIUFAN

I've low-key always thought a lot of the Housley hate was overblown (which is funny because of how much I detested Bylsma!!) 

I just never got a handle on what part of our problems were definitely his fault. Whereas after a while I found something with Dan that I saw happen a lot and thought was explicitly bad. 

This is not endorsement of one over the other, I just think Phil's stint here was very hard to understand

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And this ^^^ ?is the point I've been trying to make all offseason.

For the record, I agree with most of your points. @Randall Flagg's bit upthread on Jack and Jeff separated is why i love this forum.

It's almost always the certainty I'm debating. I tend to usually come from the perspective of 'how can we make this work?'

Some of you have been dealing with worst-case scenarios almost all your adult fanhood.

It can get better and often does.

Historically bad worst-case scenarios. Don't forget. 

?

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've low-key always thought a lot of the Housley hate was overblown (which is funny because of how much I detested Bylsma!!) 

I just never got a handle on what part of our problems were definitely his fault. Whereas after a while I found something with Dan that I saw happen a lot and thought was explicitly bad. 

This is not endorsement of one over the other, I just think Phil's stint here was very hard to understand

Our posts are symbiotic right now. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m quite surprised at the reticence here to play our best players with linemates who aren’t our best players.

Drury didn’t play with Danny, he played with a 3rd liner in Grier. Briere played with a 3rd liner in Hecht. Some talented kids on that team put up a whack of points playing as a 3rd line.

Last year our middle six sucked. Im not saying peeling 10 per cent off our 1st line to add 20 per cent to our next two lines is the answer, but it might be if we can get chemistry from combos like Vesey/Eichel Reinhart/Sheary and Victor/Johansson.

Im glad Krueger is trying different things. It only becom3s a problem if it fails and he sticks with it.

Oh but In crucial times, well maybe I'm lacking knowledge.   The line up became shorter, drury and briere would be on the ice at the same time.

Sheary will probably always will be a 15-20 goal 15-20 assist scorer. Those that expect more out of him just have unrealistic expectations which will always = massively disappointed. He’s a nice complementary piece for a middle six role. 

Vesey will probably hover right around the same production wise. Those that expect more out of him just have unrealistic expectations which will always = massively disappointed. He’s a nice complementary piece for a middle six role. 

Perhaps one of them can show they can produce more when playing with Eichel and Skinner.

Just now, Zamboni said:

Sheary will probably always will be a 15-20 goal 15-20 assist scorer. Those that expect more out of him just have unrealistic expectations which will always = massively disappointed. He’s a nice complementary piece for a middle six role. 

Vesey will probably hover right around the same production wise. Those that expect more out of him just have unrealistic expectations which will always = massively disappointed. He’s a nice complementary piece for a middle six role. 

Perhaps one of them can show they can produce more when playing with Eichel and Skinner.

The bold might not be true though. It certainly wasn't true for Sheary last year, who scored a goal on a goalie one single time in a 43 game span while we fell out of contention. If these guys aren't actual good hockey players, production aside, then we are going to continue having the same problems that killed our season last year. And they don't have strong track records of being good hockey players, production aside. 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Probably because we are sitting here on September 16 with nearly the same roster as last season.

Most of the bodies from last year are around, BUT will the opening night roster be the same or similar to last year's end of season roster? I'm really hoping it won't be. There are enough new bodies around to allow for quite a different team but at this point no idea. I'm going to remain hopeful.

I will agree, that IFF the opening night roster is basically the same then it's unlikely Kreuger can take us to the playoffs (or even close) but if there are guys from that roster who don't make this team, then optimism reigns. 

I hate to get into another roster discussion, but a minimum of 5 new players are making this roster; Montour, Miller, Johansson, Vesey and Olofsson.  

That’s 25% of the players that dress every night.  Not wholesale change, but significant.  It could be more if guys like Jokiharju, Smith or Asplund wins jobs.  Don’t forget new HCRK and his staff.

Next off-season should bring even bigger change as Scandella, Sheary, Bogo, Nelson, Sobotka, Larsson, Wilson and Girgensons all come off the books.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Phil's usage of Sobotka was termination worthy. He's the worst forward in the NHL and it's not close. Yet Phil was trucking him out there 4th most on the team. That's all folks. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Phil's usage of Sobotka was termination worthy. He's the worst forward in the NHL and it's not close. Yet Phil was trucking him out there 4th most on the team. That's all folks. 

Very true, and my number one criticism of Phil. I guess I was thinking more tactically on the ice when I said that, because obviously usage was a huge problem

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

haha, best spelling error ever. 

Yeah, definitely leave it. Even better, change "flubbed" to "scrubbed"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.