Jimmy “Dishes” Vesey - future star or the next Sheary?

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

JFC the Vesey hate is obnoxious. I hope you all eat crow. It’s ridiculous how some seemingly want him to fail. 

Just read the previous page. Describing a player as bad is fundamentally different from wanting him to fail. I see a lot of the former, and zero of the latter.

Edit: Plus there's pi who thinks he's a douche, but that's just pi being pi.  

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Just read the previous page. Describing a player as bad is fundamentally different from wanting him to fail. I see a lot of the former, and zero of the latter.

Edit: Plus there's pi who thinks he's a douche, but that's just pi being pi.  

I don’t know if I agree.

You don’t have to go far up the page to find a poster calling him a bust. He’s the 12-highest scoring goalscorer from his draft year, despite starting later than most of his peers due to completing his degree, AND being a 3rd round pick. Sabres haven’t had a 3rd rounder do that much since...?

You’ve got another one calling him overpaid. He’s the 234th highest paid forward in the league and was 131st in goals over his three seasons.

He got an assist and was a plus 2 last night in what I thought was a meh performance, yet subjectively got singled out more for poor play as much or more than anyone else. I read the game thread on HF and it was much harsher on him.

Rodrigues is about the same age, similar salary, worse production and had an equally meh game last night.

I think “wanting him to fail” is too strong, but viewed through a different lens might be fair for some who see what they want to see.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I did say seemingly and I stick by it. Both of you raise fair points though. 

Emotionally, I’m having the same reaction you are: “prove those ***** wrong”

Which is ironic, because from my limited viewings, Vesey seems like the type of player I probably won’t like.

I went through the same thing with Nylander.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t know if I agree.

You don’t have to go far up the page to find a poster calling him a bust. He’s the 12-highest scoring goalscorer from his draft year, despite starting later than most of his peers due to completing his degree, AND being a 3rd round pick. Sabres haven’t had a 3rd rounder do that much since...?

You’ve got another one calling him overpaid. He’s the 234th highest paid forward in the league and was 131st in goals over his three seasons.

He got an assist and was a plus 2 last night in what I thought was a meh performance, yet subjectively got singled out more for poor play as much or more than anyone else. I read the game thread on HF and it was much harsher on him.

Rodrigues is about the same age, similar salary, worse production and had an equally meh game last night.

I think “wanting him to fail” is too strong, but viewed through a different lens might be fair for some who see what they want to see.

I just don't see any of that as hoping our team is worse. Nobody here wants anything close to that, and wanting him to fail is wanting our team to be worse. There's no need to go after each other with accusations like that, even if you don't agree with the criticism being levied. Calling him a bust or a douche isn't being hopeful that he will be a bad hockey player for us even if it's unjustified. 

I saw that on hfboards too - we were a lot nicer about his game over here. hfboards goes overboard with everything both good and bad (obviously more bad recently given the team circumstance). I didn't watch Vesey enough to get a good grasp on how his game was but he seemed fine to me last night

A good example of hfboards going the other way - there was a poster recently running around telling everyone who will listen that Dahlin is a guaranteed 100 point defenseman

Edited by Randall Flagg

On 9/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, #freejame said:

JFC the Vesey hate is obnoxious. I hope you all eat crow. It’s ridiculous how some seemingly want him to fail. 

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t know if I agree.

14 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I do want him to fail.  I just don't believe he's a first line player.

Okay, you guys win this round

thanks for nothing pi 

I did not see last night's game, but I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on one preseason game.  I was pissed when we traded a 3rd round pick for the guy's rights and he signed with someone else anyway, but that is really more on the GM than the player.  He was a UFA and could sign wherever he pleased and he made that known.  Now that we have traded some assets for him (again - but a different GM) and he is a member of our team, I hope he succeeds.  I think we all agree this guy isn't the 2nd coming of Wayne Gretzky, but let's hope he can be a solid contributor to our lineup, which has very much lacked secondary scoring in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

First off, he needs to start going by James. This double names ending in y just isn't doing it for me. It's like calling James Cagney Jimmy Cagney. Or he's gotta go by "The Veese" if James isn't his real first name.

Star? No. Another Sheary? No. But he has the potential to be a 2/3 winger for a few seasons in his prime where he's a 20-goal scorer with the bulk of his goals at even strength. We had that in Pominville but he couldn't keep it going for a full season any longer. But someone with Hecht or Stafford production (not necessarily Hecht's all around game) --- that's an improvement from what we've had recently.

But before we worry, I'd like to see some combinations with Skinner-Eichel-RW in the preseason. Can Vesey or Olofsson make it work?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.