Camp Battles

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

On the bolded, we are in 100 per cent agreement.

Mr. and Mr. Dudacek-Vesey. 

I know who the good looking one is in that relationship and it sure ain't Jimmy. 

Edited by Thorny
A joke. Because, like, dudacek knows more about hockey than Vesey. Ha, ha

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner has played RW and depending on how comfortable the other 1st line candidates are on RW, this might be the best solution.

One of the only positions we have locked down is 1LW and we want to risk weakening that player by playing him on his offhand so...:*checks notes*  a player like Jimmy Vesey can be comfortable on the top line? 

Maybe we should just attempt to bring in more talent. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner has played RW and depending on how comfortable the other 1st line candidates are on RW, this might be the best solution.

Vesey and Olofsson have played RW. I know Skinner can play LW with Eichel. I don't need more uncertainty on that top line. 

• Like (+1) 1

We need to ask "what's best for Skinner AND the team"....a lot of questions need to be asked to come to a conclusion. You ultimately need to accommodate Jeff before you even consider accommodating Jimmy. And what about Olofsson, I think he has earned that top spot so far and look forward to seeing him there in camp before Vesey gets a shot.

Does Skinner think he can pot the same amount from the RW as he has on the LW?

What's Vesey's ceiling even playing with Jack and Jeff....my guess would be about 25-28g. So, that line remains about the same "if" Skinner pots 40 as a RW and Jimmy increases his totals. However, you still come up short because Vesey is not likely to bring all Sam's other attributes to that line. 

You then have to figure out where you gain in another area....will Sam bring enough to Line 2? I would hope so because this has been the biggest area where improvement can be obtained.

The key to everything is what is best for the team.  That may include what’s best for a certain player, but the team will come first.  As Vogl describes in the Athletic, who’s skill set best matches up with Jack and Jeff.  Is it Sheary “two way” game, Olofsson’s quick release or Vesey net front presence?  

Vogl also mentioned Asplund and his excellent play in the Prospect’s tourney.  Could he steal the 3rd line center job?  How would that change where Erod, Olofsson, Vesey, Sheary and Thompson play?  How has Erod done playing RW w Jack?  

What about?

Skinner Jack Erod - Would Erod’s presence, experience with Jack and playmaking free Jack up to score more goals?

Johansson Mitts Reinhart - Two excellent vets to help guide Mitts

Olofsson Asplund Vesey - Asplund plays a nice way game and is a very good passer, which should suit Vic and Jimmy

Sheary Larsson Okposo - A scrappy 4th line with a solid amount of skill

Girgensons

I really like this lineup.  Only Vesey being asked to play on his off wing.  You could swap Vesey and ERod if HCRK wanted at least one R shot per line.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The key to everything is what is best for the team.  That may include what’s best for a certain player, but the team will come first.  As Vogl describes in the Athletic, who’s skill set best matches up with Jack and Jeff.  Is it Sheary “two way” game, Olofsson’s quick release or Vesey net front presence?  

Vogl also mentioned Asplund and his excellent play in the Prospect’s tourney.  Could he steal the 3rd line center job?  How would that change where Erod, Olofsson, Vesey, Sheary and Thompson play?  How has Erod done playing RW w Jack?  

What about?

Skinner Jack Erod - Would Erod’s presence, experience with Jack and playmaking free Jack up to score more goals?

Olofsson Asplund Vesey - Asplund plays a nice way game and is a very good passer, which should suit Vic and Jimmy

Girgensons

I really like this lineup.  Only Vesey being asked to play on his off wing.  You could swap Vesey and ERod if HCRK wanted at least one R shot per line.

Agree....what's best for the team and that's why I mentioned it in my post. But, be assured that pleasing Jeff is more important than pleasing Jimmy outside of that.

Agree.....all really good questions that you pose. I also remember our conversations on Asplund last year as you and I seem to have liked him from day 1. Hope he does earn that spot. Things are gonna get complicated in the 2-3 years, Eichel, Mitts, Asplund, Cozens, Pekar, and even some others. Center could become our strenght instead a weakness. Can't wait.

I think Sheary is our weakest link and easily upgraded on a 4th line (just finding someone who could stand up on skates would do). Not a fan of his, if that isn't obvious.

Can't wait to see what HCRK does with what's available to him.

You mentioned in a previous post that Jack and Jimmy played together during summers.....I thought I saw where they played "against" each other in that league. I very well could be mistaken. 

EDIT: looked it up.....I was mistaken, they did play together during the summers. My bad, should've looked first.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
correct info

Shoot first forwards have more room to do so on their off-wing and have greater opportunities for one-timers. Pass first forwards have a greater ability to pass on their hand-wing. 

Some people make playing off-wing out to sound like it’s something difficult when for many it’s much easier. It’s also easier to clear the zone from your off-wing. It’s inky more difficult to keep the puck in the offensive zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about?

Girgensons

Are those the '20-'21 lines?

Because they don't look too bad with a year older Mittelstadt and a year older Asplund.  For this season, not sure how that lineup gets "really liked."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.