Hurricanes Sign Jake Gardiner: 4 year deal

WildCard

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-sign-jake-gardiner-to-four-year-deal/c-308937626

Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Jake Gardiner to a four-year contract. The deal pays Gardiner an average annual value (AAV) of $4.05 million. 

Edited by WildCard

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I wouldn't have loved 4 years, but I think there's a better chance he ends up on LTIR than he's a healthy albatross like Scandella. 

I'm just trying to stem the slight letdown I feel - I was partial to those scenarios where we flip Risto to upgrade the forwards and then bring in Gardiner such that our defense wasn't even a man down, much less worse 

• Like (+1) 1

That seems like a fair contract for Gardiner, to me. He makes less than Tyler Myers ?

56 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Another concern is that now teams can move to Faulk if they don't want to pony up for Risto.

This is my main concern. I guess the RFAs aren't holding up everything, eh? Gardiner signs and now Carolina may scoop up that Risto return.

Though perhaps this makes it more likely Risto isn't moved for futures (cap space potentially allocated to Gardiner in that imagined scenario)

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

All this does is make McCabe no longer expendable. I wouldn’t have done 4 years for him. 

For all the talk of our surplus at D, it's really only at RHD. With Pilut injured, the LD depth chart reads:

Dahlin

McCabe

Scandella

..with Hunwick out I don't believe we even have an extra there. And Scandella is someone we were hoping wasn't going to see regular minutes this year. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm just trying to stem the slight letdown I feel - I was partial to those scenarios where we flip Risto to upgrade the forwards and then bring in Gardiner such that our defense wasn't even a man down, much less worse 

You can't get let down if you don't get your hopes up

/2019-2020 Buffalo Sabres 

• Haha (+1) 1

Disappointing that Gardiner signed with the Canes.  $'s seem quite reasonable and I'd've expected him to get $0.5-1MM more/ year. 

Doubt the 4th year is too many, as if his back does keep him out by then he can retire due to injury (gets his $'s/ no cap hit) or he goes BF-LTIR (which is comparable).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Disappointing that Gardiner signed with the Canes.  $'s seem quite reasonable and I'd've expected him to get $0.5-1MM more/ year. 

Doubt the 4th year is too many, as if his back does keep him out by then he can retire due to injury (gets his $'s/ no cap hit) or he goes BF-LTIR (which is comparable).

I would have liked to have signed him for that.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.