Would you trade every Sabre prospect for an elite #2 center?

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Because you can't count on other GMs being as foolish with their best players as Botterill was last offseason. It'll happen here or there, sure, but it's not the norm. 

Edit: besides, this is more of a thought experiment about how valuable people think it is to fix the 2C hole. I don't think PA's intent was to get bogged down in the specifics. 

Is a #2 center worth firing your GM who was foolish with his best players in favor of hiring a GM who is not?

That's a more realistic question for a thought experiment.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, jad1 said:

Is a #2 center worth firing your GM who was foolish with his best players in favor of hiring a GM who is not?

That's a more realistic question for a thought experiment.

Really depends on if Botterill was the reason ROR was sent out or if the Pegula's said get rid of him. 

The thing is the ROR has always stood as an outlier to everything else that Botterill has done. It has always seemed out of place for how he does trades. Skinner, Jokiharju, Miller, Montour... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Really depends on if Botterill was the reason ROR was sent out or if the Pegula's said get rid of him.

The thing is the ROR has always stood as an outlier to everything else that Botterill has done. It has always seemed out of place for how he does trades. Skinner, Jokiharju, Miller, Montour... 

Actually, expect it was a mutual decision.  Where in Botterill thought it best to trade him and then Pegula came back with make it happen before a check is written for $7.5MM.

And at that point they'd mentally commuted to trading O'Reilly. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 9/5/2019 at 1:36 PM, PASabreFan said:

It is a thought experiment indeed. Sabres fans love their chillren, and I just wondered what it would take to bundle them all up and leave them outside the firehouse. Maybe a better scenario would be whether you'd trade Cozens for that imaginary # 2 center.

I'd be curious to know where our fanbase ranks in terms of valuing (overvaluing?) and obsessing about prospects. I'd guess it's the sad sack franchises that have fans that feel this way.

No. I would not trade Cozens for a #2 center. I also would love to pick up a #2 center but the longer it's been discussed here the more desperate we get. If I'm trading a guy like Risto I want the best forward we can get not just a "#2 center".

I'd trade for someone like Hintz and let him grow with the team, offering a decent package, but I'm not blowing up the future for a short term "risk".   Look, there's no guarantee someone like even Couturier would push this team past the first round.  So giving up:  UPL, Lahksonen, Olofsson, Cozens, Joker, etc up for him....eh. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:01 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Why would I do that when

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart 
Skinner - Mitts - Davidsson
Cederqvist - Cozens - Weissbach
xxx - Asplund - xxx

Dahlin - Borgen
Samuelsson - Johnson
Cronholm - Laaksonen

is surely going to be our cup winning roster in 2023? 

But for real the answer is no just because the logistics of no longer having any prospects are impossible to overcome as an organization.

I would probably trade far more of them than most other Sabres fans would though for that guarantee.

I see it a little differently...

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Cozens

Davidsson - Asplund - Weissbach

Ruotsalainen - Pekar - Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Laaksonen

Johnson - Borgen

Luukkonen

Ullmark/Portillo

And yes, I think if those kids reach their potential, I see them as a very strong team.

I love Cozens on the wing as a legit power forward...you're not going to put him or Mittelstadt on the third line, they're top-6 players.

And no, I wouldn't trade any of our top prospects, Mittelstadt is going to be an elite #2 center. It's amazing how people have already given up on a 20 year old kid after one season in the NHL. He had garbage linemates and he was one year removed from HIGH SCHOOL. He is going to be just fine, and he will take a big step this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.