Would you trade every Sabre prospect for an elite #2 center?

PASabreFan

No. UPL, Cozens, Johnson, etc... all gone. It would hurt a lot of spots and also considering how many people come off the books this year, it would force us to overpay for lesser talent and fill holes with lesser players. It would turn us into what Vegas is about to become for the next 3-5 years. 

47 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Depends on the definitions of elite #2 center and prospect. If the elite 2C is Malkin in his prime and prospect excludes Dahlin, then yes. 

This is probably the closest to a yes we will get. Dahlin is not a prospect.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What is "an elite #2 center?". If the guy is elite wouldn't he by definition be a #1?

Elite in that role.

Why would I do that when

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart 
Skinner - Mitts - Davidsson
Cederqvist - Cozens - Weissbach
xxx - Asplund - xxx

Dahlin - Borgen
Samuelsson - Johnson
Cronholm - Laaksonen

is surely going to be our cup winning roster in 2023? 

But for real the answer is no just because the logistics of no longer having any prospects are impossible to overcome as an organization.

I would probably trade far more of them than most other Sabres fans would though for that guarantee.

26 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

What would your prediction be if the Sabres added McDavid?

Playoffs for a time. But they lack the depth needed. Our left defense would be decimated of depth. Our wings would be at the mercy of what we have. McDavid alone is not enough to lift Edmonton out even with Draisaitl (elite #2 winger). It takes more. I think we would fair better though because McDavid is better than Jack and we would still have Dahlin. 

If this is a thought experiment, the player in question would not be Malkin or Matthews, who are clearly a “number one centre” playing on a team with another “number one centre”

O’Reilly is not, but was the first line centre on a cup-winning team, so I think he is definitely the type of player who fits PA’s description for me.

Others might be Duchene, Couturier, Johansen, Horvat... Maybe some part-time wingers like Draisaitl and Couture.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Playoffs for a time. But they lack the depth needed. Our left defense would be decimated of depth. Our wings would be at the mercy of what we have. McDavid alone is not enough to lift Edmonton out even with Draisaitl (elite #2 winger). It takes more. I think we would fair better though because McDavid is better than Jack and we would still have Dahlin. 

The Sabres would be Cup contenders for a long time if they traded all their prospects for McDavid.

We could conceivably have one of the best players in the world on the ice at all times. Basically, they would be the Penguins of 10 years ago, riding Jack, Conor and Rasmus for a decade like Pittsburgh did Malkin, Crosby Letang.

Guys like Risto, Skinner Reinhart Montour Miller would eventually be flipped to replenish the pipeline.

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If this is a thought experiment, the player in question would not be Malkin or Matthews, who are clearly a “number one centre” playing isn’t a team with another “number one centre”

O’Reilly is not, but was the first line centre on a cup-winning team, so I think he is definitely the type of player who fits PA’s description for me.

Others might be Duchene, Couturier, Johansen, Horvat... Maybe some part-time wingers like Draisaitl and Couture.

I would say O’Reilly and Couturier both are #1 Cs.  Probably in the 20-30 range but still.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

I would say O’Reilly and Couturier both are #1 Cs.  Probably in the 20-30 range but still.

I’m thinking elite number twos are the guys you’d rank in that range - guys who aren’t clear-cut ones, but who would be centring the first line on a lot of teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.