Sabres v. Caps

slugspirit

Just got back from the game in DC.

I have to say I'm rather pumped up now about the season. The Sabres looked dominant and Miller was incredible. 29 Saves and not a single goal allowed in regulation including a pair of 2 man advantages for the Caps. Very solid.

I also liked how they looked as a team. Briere and Numminen were both scratched but there was no lack of leadership. Grier and Drury were both questioning the officials and were very vocal for the whole game. It helped that there was practically no one in attendance at the game, so you could hear the conversations on the ice.

Also, a funny moment during the shootout. Before each shot, the player would come out and their name would be announced. But, when Buffalo had their third shot, nobody skated out. Then Rory Fitzpatrick was announced and the Sabres bench lit up in laughter. It seems they were playin' a joke on him considering he got credit for the first goal of the game. And he still beat Olie with a backhand. :lol:

I don't think the losses of Satan and Zhitnik were as big as people are making them out to be. I see us a playoff contender despite what some may say. And even if were not, we can still kick Washington's ass.

:D

Always glad to hear the good report, but keep in mind... the Capitals are flat-out the worst team in the league.

I'm excited that Vanek's getting a lot of playing time. I'm also excited that Max is playing with Derek, and that should make for a fun line to watch.

It's good to hear about Miller, as Mika was dissappointing late in yesterday's game.

Guest Guest_Allan in MD

I was at the game as well. A few additional observations:

Miller looks rock solid. Caps fans near me were impressed. I hope Lindy doesn't screw this kid up.

The team was going all out the entire game. Even though the Caps played many scrubs much of the game, the Sabres never let up. They forechecked hard from the get go and just continually hustled, even when the game clearly was in the bag. This included the vets, such as Drury.

The team speed is really impressive. The new rules should benefit teams with personnel such as the Sabres have. Max looked like a rocket on one particular rush.

As everyone has noted previously, Vanek is always around the puck. His instincts are clearly golden.

The team was buzzing around the net. They looked very different from recent Sabres teams, in this regard.

Peters was fun to watch, even though Stephen Peat made him look pretty bad in one early bout.

This is the first time I've seen Mike Ryan play. He was like a buzzsaw out there the entire game. Can he finish, however? He certainly didn't show much in the shootout.

It was a good showing. I just hope Lindy doesn't mess with the offensive instincts the team clearly has. The certainly also played well going the other way. Also, if Miller continues to look like he looked tonight, let him have the job, Biron's experience (much of it not particularly impressive) notwithstanding.

The team was going all out the entire game. Even though the Caps played many scrubs much of the game, the Sabres never let up. They forechecked hard from the get go and just continually hustled, even when the game clearly was in the bag. This included the vets, such as Drury.

Thanks for the report. This is especially encouraging. Hopefully they can keep it up once the season starts...

great report. thanks.

i miss the days when mogilny and lalala would fly down the ice and you could feel the wind in the stands.

Larry. You're bringing a tear to my eyes. I remember a game against the Red Wings. I think everyone had hat tricks. Lafontaine, Mogilny, Khimilev and I think the goalie had a pair. The Sabres won like 2,098 to 2,097 or something. It was great because eah Sabre who scored won you a pizza at Pizza Hut if you had the matches ticket they passes out. My friends and I collected dozens. The lady at the Hut knew us by name shortly after.

Guest brihs2005

I am jealous... i wish i could have been at the game. I really wonder how big of an advantage Miller is to this team. How many other starting goalies in the NHL had a full season last year with no significant time off? If he is indeed our starter, i am guessing he is in the best mental, and game shape as any other goalie in the league if not better.

I am jealous... i wish i could have been at the game.  I really wonder how big of an advantage Miller is to this team.  How many other starting goalies in the NHL had a full season last year with no significant time off?  If he is indeed our starter, i am guessing he is in the best mental, and game shape as any other goalie in the league if not better.

There were a lot of goalies that played over in Europe last year, the season is shorter than the NHL, but it probably did keep them in game shape.

Also, there were a lot of other young goalies besides Miller that will have a shot at the NHL this year that played in the AHL last year, guys like Emery and Lehtonen.

Per The Hockey News, following is some info on who played how much last year.

Guys listed as preseaon #1's on their teams that played at least 20 games last year include: Lehtonen, Kiprusoff, Gerber, Khabibulin, Garon, Roloson (Fernandez played 19), and Vokoun.

Raycraft played 11, Aebischer played 18, Nabokov played 14, Cloutier played 14, and Olie played 8.

Denis with Columbus didn't play, but Prusek did. (Similar to Biron / Miller) Ditto with Hasek and Emery; Esche and Nittymaki; Thibault and Fleury; and "Bats in his" Belfour and Tellqvist.

Conklin w/ Edmonton played 11, but Markkanen played 54.

Guys who didn't play include Turco, Osgood, Luongo, Theodore, Brodeur, DiPietro, Weekes, Joseph, Lalime, Grahame, and Burke.

Miller should be alright this year. He will still have to get adjusted to the increase in game speed from the AHL to the NHL. Considering there were several NHL caliber players in the AHL last year, hopefully the transition won't be as difficult as it would have been in almost any other year. Miller in previous stints in the show had a couple of good games, but tended to get overwhelmed when he faced adversity. He should be tougher mentally this year and I don't expect that to happen as often as it did in the past.

I am still expecting Marty to start the season as number 1, but would not be surprised to see Miller and Marty splitting duty as the season wears on. (My guess is that Mika will be the odd man out, but as he probably has the least trade value that may not be the case. I'd be shocked if Miller is the one hitting the road.)

Dave.

Thing is. Will they play Miller?

He's the only one that can be sent to the ROC. If they do? I would bet he requests a trade.

My guess is that they keep all three in Buffalo and try to make the trade sometime before the end of October. If they haven't traded one by then, then Miller goes to Rochester until they can make a trade so that he and Marty (or Mika) can still get playing time.

Dave.

Thing is. Will they play Miller?

He's the only one that can be sent to the ROC. If they do? I would bet he requests a trade.

If he's sent to Rochester, I'm sure that they'll make it very clear that he's only there until someone gets moved. They need to be careful with him or he'll start crying.

Guest Kristian

Well, considering Ruff is a coach who :

1. Gives you increased ice time for floating, if your name is Connolly or Pyatt.

2. Doesn't yank you for allowing 6 goals on 7 shots, if your name is Biron.

3. Benches you after a shutout, if your name is Noronen.

4. Tells the press that even though you've been called up from the minors, he doesn't feel like playing you, if your name is Noronen.

5. Doesn't have a clue of how to work with youngsters, OR veterans.

6. Breaks up your line if it produces for more than 2 games in a row.

... I find it extremely plausible to believe that Ruff will find a way to mess with Miller's mind, enough for him to lose his mental focus.

Guest hockeyhack

LOL...Who is the Guy that said he would take 20 players who hate each other and make the playoffs???You are an idiot and should lose your opinion about HOCKEY!!

Being from Canada we know what Chemistry is All about and what team wins the Cup that hates each other???????NONE!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY STUPID THINGS?

FOURTH LINER......THAT WAS NOT BRIERE VS SATAN IN WAS BRIERE\DRURY vs. SATAN

Granted both BRIERE and Drury and top notch second line players and Satan is a bottom level First line player(understand) SATAN is nothing more than a flashy European that at any given moment can give up on you.

MISSED PLAYOFFS LAST 3 YEARS?REIGERS FAULT???? YOU GUYS ARE LOST!

BUFFALO vs. NY ISLANDERS 2 YEARS WHEN BUFFALO WAS 2 POINTS BEHIND

we had our shirts handed to us WHERE WAS SATAN????????I think the score was like 5-2 and we missed the playoffs by 4 or 6 points? WHERE WAS REIGER FOR THAT GAME? Not on the ice??????

BUFFALO is a small market team swallow it the years of PAT, ALEXANDER, DALE HAWERCHUK and DOMINIK on the same team are days we will never see.

THE ONLY WAY buffalo wins the cup is with a level 2 team like we have and hope everyone has career years and we are lucky on some contracts and trades maybe REGIER can do it but i don't think he will be here if that happens?(WILL ANY OF US?)

SABRES LOST THEIR ONLY CHANCE WITH A FOOT IN THE CREASE AND THAT IS ALL WE HAVE ALONG WITH OUR 4 SUPERBOWL 2nd PLACE VICTORIES LOL......

TILL NEXT TIME

PS WHERE WAS OUR CUPS WITH MUCKLER LOL BYE BYE OTTAWA

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HE WAS THE MAN!!!

MY VOTE IS FOR HIM HE IS A STANLEY CUP CHANCE WITH A WEAK TEAM HE WILL PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT ESPECIALLY FOR A YOUNG TEAM

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HARDEST WORKING TEAM IN HOCKEY DO NOT FORGET THAT AND THE CUP FINAL breathed of NOLAN with RUFF Riding the teams high from his coaching I AM OUT

Well, considering Ruff is a coach who :

1. Gives you increased ice time for floating, if your name is Connolly or Pyatt.

2. Doesn't yank you for allowing 6 goals on 7 shots, if your name is Biron.

3. Benches you after a shutout, if your name is Noronen.

4. Tells the press that even though you've been called up from the minors, he doesn't feel like playing you, if your name is Noronen.

5. Doesn't have a clue of how to work with youngsters, OR veterans.

6. Breaks up your line if it produces for more than 2 games in a row.

... I find it extremely plausible to believe that Ruff will find a way to mess with Miller's mind, enough for him to lose his mental focus.

You are right on target. We have this discussion every season, since Ruff has had to come out from behind Hasek's saves and attempt to coach.

LOL...Who is the Guy that said he would take 20 players who hate each other and make the playoffs???You are an idiot and should lose your opinion about HOCKEY!!

Being from Canada we know what Chemistry is All about and what team wins the Cup that hates each other???????NONE!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY STUPID THINGS?

FOURTH LINER......THAT WAS NOT BRIERE VS SATAN IN WAS BRIERE\DRURY vs. SATAN

Granted both BRIERE and Drury and top notch second line players and Satan is a bottom level First line player(understand) SATAN is nothing more than a flashy European that at any given moment can give up on you.

MISSED PLAYOFFS LAST 3 YEARS?REIGERS FAULT???? YOU GUYS ARE LOST!

BUFFALO vs. NY ISLANDERS 2 YEARS WHEN BUFFALO WAS 2 POINTS BEHIND

we had our shirts handed to us WHERE WAS SATAN????????I think the score was like 5-2 and we missed the playoffs by 4 or 6 points? WHERE WAS REIGER FOR THAT GAME? Not on the ice??????

BUFFALO is a small market team swallow it the years of PAT, ALEXANDER, DALE HAWERCHUK and DOMINIK on the same team are days we will never see.

THE ONLY WAY buffalo wins the cup is with a level 2 team like we have and hope everyone has career years and we are lucky on some contracts and trades maybe REGIER can do it but i don't think he will be here if that happens?(WILL ANY OF US?)

SABRES LOST THEIR ONLY CHANCE WITH A FOOT IN THE CREASE AND THAT IS ALL WE HAVE ALONG WITH OUR 4 SUPERBOWL 2nd PLACE VICTORIES LOL......

TILL NEXT TIME

PS WHERE WAS OUR CUPS WITH MUCKLER LOL BYE BYE OTTAWA

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HE WAS THE MAN!!!

MY VOTE IS FOR HIM HE IS A STANLEY CUP CHANCE WITH A WEAK TEAM HE WILL PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT ESPECIALLY FOR A YOUNG TEAM

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HARDEST WORKING TEAM IN HOCKEY DO NOT FORGET THAT AND THE CUP FINAL breathed of NOLAN with RUFF Riding the teams high from his coaching I AM OUT

First off you should take some time and READ the posts. It said I would take 20 guys who hate each other and make the playoffs rather then 20 guys who love each other and DON'T. It may be hard for you to believe not everyone on a winning team likes each other.

When was the last time a Canadian team won the cup :lol:

I see alot of posts about Satan quiting? Yet he led the team in goals?

And, where was Drury for most of last season played? He was as big a no show as Satan(2 goals over last 16 played,Satan had 4). Yet he getas a 'C'? Why? What has he done since he left Forsberg and Sakic? Not much.

As GM it is Regier's fault. I donlt know if you have accountability up in the Great White North? But it means something down here.

The Sabres lost a pair of games against the Islanders 4-1 in one weeks time. And by the way. For all of you who post about the Sabres great second half? The Sabres were 9-11-1 over the final 21 games. Including 3 straight OT losses in which Drury did not score a point(Satan had 2g 4a).

And for Muckler? Have you seen his ring collection? Was it not his team that made it to the Finals in '99? Ottawa spends as little as the Sabres do and yet they are loaded. They have just as many disadvantages as the Sabres do and yet make it happen. Regier isn't even in Muckler's league.

Archived